STK-0050 replacement for SX-780 and others

in my Mouser project BOM if you look under the Customer Part number column, for both the MJE150132 and MJE15033 parts, select the icon that looks like a page with pencil, I wrote notes for sub's
If you use MJE15031G also use it complement MJE15030G
FJP1943/FJP5200 should work, just have to check that you can set o/p bias correctly.
If FJP1943/FJP5200 work out okay, which I also can not see why they wouldn't be okay, I can add them as additional sub's.

For that "PCB milling machine at school" implementation, you do realize that you are going to have to solder the components leads on both sides of the pcb pads to make/complete the connection(s) as the holes are not plated through holes.

Yeah that's no problem, I've done double sided this way before. I ordered a NJW0302G as a substitute for Q2. It seemed to have similar specs. Do you know if that is a suitable replacement?

Hope you used board material with reasonably heavy copper weight- some of the traces do carry some current.

Just make sure that you use true complementary pairs.
So for a NJW0302G use its suggested complement, mixing them up I do not suggest as a good idea.
NJW0281G (NPN) with a NJW0302G (PNP)
NJW3281G (NPN) with a NJW1302G (PNP)

1oz copper is what is standard. When they plate it up in the factory it usually comes close to 2 oz external. You can always add solder to the traces and beef the current carrying capacity, assuming that the copper is exposed.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. Can you confirm that the following will work?

Q1 NJW1302G
Q2 NJW0302G
Q3 MJE15032G
Q4 NJW3281G
Q5 BD139

I should have looked better (confused also) at what you ordered. 2 confusions do not usually make a right.
NJW0302G(PNP) is not a sub for a MJE15033G(PNP)
MJE15033G is in a TO-220 package, it is not in the same package as NJW0302G(TO-3P).
Pin spacing for a TO-220 is 0.1"(2.54mm), pin spacing for a TO-3P is 5.45mm
You jumped the gun and ordered parts before you get a response back. Lessons learned.

Thanks for the advice. So just to clarify, q5 (BD139) is fine. That being said, are the following suitable for q1-q4? I'm just trying to make sure I have the proper list this time.

NJW0281G (NPN) with a NJW0302G (PNP)
NJW3281G (NPN) with a NJW1302G (PNP)

Have you looked at the Mouser project BOM? use the link as indicated on the first page.

Q1: NJW1302G, (NJW0302G)
Bipolar Transistors - BJT 250V,15A, 200W(150W) TO-3P PNP

Q2:
MJE15033G,(MJE15031G),[FJP1943],{FJPF1943}
Bipolar Transistors - BJT 8A 250V 50W TO-220 PNP

Q3:
MJE15032G, (MJE15030G),[FJP5200],{FJPF5200}
Bipolar Transistors - BJT 8A 250V 50W TO-220 NPN

Q4:
NJW3281G, (NJW0281G)
Bipolar Transistors - BJT 250V,15A,200W(150W) TO-3P NPN

Q5: BD139 (Any hfe grade)

Bipolar Transistors - BJT 1.5A 80V 12.5W NPN SOT-32(TO-126)
KSC2690Y will work too

Last edited:
fascinating thread. back in school way back, we had 'spice', is that similar to ITSpice or whatever called?

the files that control the milling, what control are they for? I am not versed in that package (my milling experience is with centroid 400 mills on engines and crap....) what do I need to read?

I used the free spice software package from Linear Technology (ltspice) to simulate the design to verify that it would work correctly.
The fabrication files are output from the pcb layout software, which in this case is standard Gerber RS-274X photoplot data and excellon cnc drill data.
That LPKF machine uses this pcb standard data and mills from it.

IMG_20170218_194618306.jpg I can confirm the replacement modules will replace the STK-0080 as well. I have successfully installed one in a fisher CA-880. Of course, I'm going to move amplifier board back to original location and use shorter, heavier jumpers to the module- this was just for proof of function. It sounds very good.

Last edited:
I'm having a little trouble, I was hoping someone could help with. I'm not getting any sound after installing the replacement. Compared pin voltages to my one good darlington pack and there are two pins that are way off:

Good (stock stk-0050):

Pin 1: -1.2v
Pin 2: -41.8v
Pin 3: -.1v

Pin 8: .1v
Pin 9: 41.5v
Pin 10: 1.3v

Bad:

Pin 1: -40.3v
Pin 2: -42.2v
Pin 3: -.1v

Pin 8: .1v
Pin 9: 42.5v
Pin 10: 40.5v

So it's clear that Pin 1 & Pin 10 are way too high. I check the obvious - solder bridges between Pin 9 & 10 or Pin 1 & 2, but it seems ok. For reference, these are the transistors used:

q1 NJW1302g
q2 MJE15031G
q3 MJE15030G
q4 NJW3281g
q5 BD139

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Looks to me like you have an open circuit between pin10 and pin 1. Compare the open circuit resistances of the two modules.
Did you do any resistance measurements before you installed it?

Hi rcs16, I am working on a SX-780 for a friend of mine right now that needs new STK-0050. I am planning on building what you have designed as it seems like one of the best options out there right now. I have a couple of quick questions before I get too crazy...

Still if you short the outputs, they will probably blow unless you add a fuse in the supply lines link to the pcb instead of the wire bridge = more cheap insurance.

I like the idea of adding a fuse for extra insurance and I see in the Mouser project BOM you have added some optional fuses. In the post I have quoted above, you mention putting them in the supply lines, you are talking about at pins 2 and 9 correct?

Has anyone made these with the fuses? How did they turn out?

in my Mouser project BOM if you look under the Customer Part number column, for both the MJE150132 and MJE15033 parts, select the icon that looks like a page with pencil, I wrote notes for sub's
If you use MJE15031G also use it complement MJE15030G
FJP1943/FJP5200 should work, just have to check that you can set o/p bias correctly.
If FJP1943/FJP5200 work out okay, which I also can not see why they wouldn't be okay, I can add them as additional sub's.

When I look at your Mouser project I don't see the icon that looks like a page with a pencil. I saved the project as my own but it seems to blow away all of the custom fields (customer part #, etc.). I actually have some MJE15033G's on hand so I am not too worried about replacement but was curious to see any other notes and comments you had in there.

Thanks for your help and awesome design!

To bad, I went to the project page, using the link(without being loggd in) and you are correct, it does not show up since it is read only. SiIlly
So the only way to change that is to make it editable. There is an option to allow access
6. By choosing "Full Edit Access" your colleague will be able to edit your project and you will have the ability to view and approve all edits made. If you would like to limit them to only be able to view and order your project but not make any modifications change the permission settings below.

So lets give this a try, PM me your name and email address, so that I can add your name to the list. That way you can try it out to see if you can see the Customer part number notes icons.

I also changed the insulators for the TO-3P devices, need someone to verify that they are the correct ones. The ones for the TO-220 are too small for the TO-3P devices.

Yes, the fuses to replace the wire links are for the supply pins 2,9. I arbitrarily chose 5A fuses without any testing.

Rick

I just sent you a PM Rick.

I never looked that closely at the insulators until now.

I might have to do a little more investigation/calculation on the fuses unless you a fairly confident that the 5A size would be appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom