Music Related Books

I picked-up this Jazz haul (and a few more not pictured) at a recent estate sale. The guy had hundreds of burned CD's, which I didn't have the patience to look through, but apparently no proper CD releases or LP's. But he had all of these volumes, which I liberated for a small fee:

View attachment 849730 View attachment 849731

GJ

A Bb Omnibook. That brings back memories, and I wish I knew where mine has gotten to. Based on those volumes my guess is that the dude could play.

I picked-up this Jazz haul (and a few more not pictured) at a recent estate sale. The guy had hundreds of burned CD's, which I didn't have the patience to look through, but apparently no proper CD releases or LP's. But he had all of these volumes, which I liberated for a small fee:

View attachment 849730 View attachment 849731

GJ

I have the Parker Omnibook and have read the Simpkins Coltrane book. Great haul!

512V1E9MJNL._SX282_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
Listen to an interview with Ed Berger on WRHU from August 13, 2014.

very sorry to report that jazz historian, archivist, discographer, writer, producer, educator, photographer and friend Ed Berger passed away on Saturday. Ed had recently retired from his position as Associate Director of the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers University, and his publications include Benny Carter: A Life in American Music; Reminiscing in Tempo: The Life and Times of a Jazz Hustler (a biodiscography of record producer Teddy Reig); Bassically Speaking: An Oral History of George Duvivier; and Softly, With Feeling: Joe Wilder and the Breaking of Barriers in American Music. Ed's writings and photographs appeared in JazzTimes and he was co-editor of the Journal of Jazz Studies. thank you, Ed.

Street Player: My Chicago Story
by Danny Seraphine

Founding member and drummer for Chicago, Danny Seraphine gives his inside story of life on the inside of one of Americas most successful progressive jazz/rock/pop bands. This is an good read for any fan of Chicago, or Chicago Transit Authority as named on the first album, and then threatened with a lawsuit by the real CTA.

He covers a lot of ground from the early days of learning to play drums, playing to almost empty nightclubs looking for the big break, to beyond the day in 1990 when he was voted out of the group. In between he shares stories of almost constant touring, the devastating loss of Terry Kath, and the departure of Peter Cetera.

It seems like he still hasn't gotten over being kicked out of the band, and at the very end of the book in the acknowledgements - he tries to make amends. But it rings kind of hollow.

Street Player.jpg

Thrifts are good for more than just gear.
So far I have picked up Eric Clapton's and Keith Richards biographies there and just grabbed Miles Davis' biography from a local GW.

I've just completed two great reads and highly recommend both:

"I'll Take You There; Mavis Staples, The Staple Singers, and the March up Freedom Highway" by Greg Kot

and

"All Hopped Up and Ready To Go; Music From the Streets of New York 1927-1977" by Tony Fletcher

Got two tasty treats from Amazon 3rd party sellers this week;

IMG_20170310_111841.jpg

"Moanin' at Midnight" the life and times of Howlin' Wolf by Segrest and Hoffman. This was recommended by KrisM our resident Blues Guru.

"The World of Count Basie" by Stanley Dance. This was recommeded by Gannon, as we were discussing my love for Sweets Edison and Gannon told me Sweets was discussed in this book.

Both have the bonus photos in center that I love;

IMG_20170310_111943.jpg

Diving into these this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom