Pioneer Find

Cassidy77

Hey guys, i just recently got into vinyl and started looking around to find some quality equipment to play it through. Little did I know my inlaws had this stuff sitting unused for many many years in their house. They were kinda enough to give it me. The receiver is currently getting serviced. Thought some of you guys would appreciate my find. This site has been great so far and my next project is getting the 150s working.

IMG_7004.JPG IMG_7012.JPG IMG_7005.JPG

Sx-1980
Hpm-150
Rt707

I am not sure on the tape deck. I haven't picked it up yet.

That's outstanding, an 1980 is a great score as it is one of the best receivers. Speakers are a good match but if you ever get interested in a better sound try B&W 801 series III for a sound you'll never forget. See, the sonics of the receiver makes those speakers come alive.

Enjoy.....

Holy jeebers! A 1980? Do they realize what that thing is worth? (Do you realize what that thing is worth?)

Be nice to them at Christmas..

I think it's funny, you're getting into vinyl, and you got cassette, r2r, pretty much everything you need except a turntable.

bs

I'm speechless! :eek2: You better take them out to an extremely nice dinner and treat their daughter like a queen forever! That's TOTL gear there my man congrats!

Holy jeebers! A 1980? Do they realize what that thing is worth? (Do you realize what that thing is worth?)

Be nice to them at Christmas..

I think it's funny, you're getting into vinyl, and you got cassette, r2r, pretty much everything you need except a turntable.

bs

They didn't know what it was and it would have most likely been tossed out eventually. Researching the model is basically how I ended up here.

I hate you

"I just got my learners license and turns out my parents had a spare Ferrari out in the back shed that they gave me to learn on"

I hate you

"I just got my learners license and turns out my parents had a spare Ferrari out in the back shed that they gave me to learn on"

A little back story, my inlaws owned a few regional department stores back in the 80s-90s. They had a electronics dept and carried pioneer. When they built their house in 87 that setup was installed in their game room and didn't leave until I removed it yesterday.

I'd like to have the 150s professionally rebuilt. Can you guys recommend someone that I can send them too?

First, congrats on a nice system. I'm partial to Pioneer stuff of that era as you can see from my sig.

If the edge foam is the only problem with the 150's, I'd suggest you try doing the fix yourself. I re-edged my Infinity's and it really isn't that hard to do if I can do it. Just takes time as waiting for the glue to dry is the hardest part. If you search here on AK you'll find reco's for where to get kits for the foam. As a speaker shop told me, original cones are only original once and I'm glad I didn't have them re-coned when I did mine.

I hope the 1980 went to a worthy tech

Oh yeah - if you get unlucky like a post i was reading here yesterday...

Your amp will be internally bridged mono, your balance control with give sound out both speakers while turned hard right, and cancel out while turned hard left, traces on the board will be cut, and one side of the heatsink will be empty....

First, congrats on a nice system. I'm partial to Pioneer stuff of that era as you can see from my sig.

If the edge foam is the only problem with the 150's, I'd suggest you try doing the fix yourself. I re-edged my Infinity's and it really isn't that hard to do if I can do it. Just takes time as waiting for the glue to dry is the hardest part. If you search here on AK you'll find reco's for where to get kits for the foam. As a speaker shop told me, original cones are only original once and I'm glad I didn't have them re-coned when I did mine.

That was my initial plan and I may go that route. I tested the impedance on the 15 I pulled and I am getting 4.0. Isn't suppose to be around 6.2?

Fill out your profile with your location. Members here can recommend who best to take any of your stuff for repair. Who did you take your SX-1980 to for repair and what are they planning to do to it? Did you connect it to see if it worked before you took it in for repair?

Back
Top Bottom