Member Rex Aeterna no longer with us

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
With deep sadness I regret to inform the board that we lost a very young member overnight. David had been fighting a battle with a rare form of cancer and was on his last chemo treatment. With no defense left in his body an infection set in and despite all efforts of the doctors and his fighting spirit he never made it through. I received a text message from his girlfriend this morning informing me. She has been by his side for weeks and has kept me constantly informed. Due to a mild cold I dared not visit.

I became friends with David through this board when I saw that he lived just a few miles from me and I contacted him. We immediately struck up a friendship and he infected me with the love of all things Altec. I was mildly surprised that a young man of only 27 years of age was into vintage horns and large bass cabinets. No tiny tinny speakers here! He loved a variety of music and music was his passion, the gear just let him enjoy it.
I'll never forget the day he did a frequency sweep on a set of horns. At 10KHz I looked at him and said "I'm Out". As I watched the laptop climb to 20K he finally said "it just stopped". I was amazed!
As arraignments are made, I'll keep the board informed.
It's so sad to see a young man with so much potential taken away from us, makes all my problems seem trivial in comparison.
God speed David, we will all miss you.

BillWojo

Very saddening news. He sounded like a very gifted young man. Rest in peace David, aka Rex.

My condolences to the friends and family.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this. It's so damn hard to comprehend how someone so young is taken. Bill, if you by chance are able to talk with his parents, tell them how saddened we are by this news.

Sorry to hear of his passing. Too young, much too young.

My condolences to his girlfriend, his family, to you and other friends.

RIP David.

Last edited:
Bill, if his family is in need of money, maybe you could offer to be their agent on BarterTown. If they don't appreciate his stuff, as I know no one in my family does mine, it might help them to sell. Let them handle the physical part, packing and shipping and you could handle the AK part. You also might just be able to have them use his account, if he was a subscriber. I know that death can be a financial hardship, especially if the person is young and has made little if any family financial planning. People often wait until way too late to do what they should have. They then will turn to relatives for help. I know about this and, for myself, have made decent plans. His estate may end up being eaten by taxes if the wrong moves are or were made.

It is a shame to loose a young member to a thing as horrible as cancer. I did not know him here on AK, but I'd bet he would have been the type of member I would have liked.

RIP. So sad to have such a young life end. Thanks for letting us know and sharing about your friendship with him, Bill.

Oh dear. This is sad news indeed. Genuinely a little shocked. My condolences to the family as well.

I'm still having trouble getting over he was only 27, he's been here 6 years. I'v been here a bit over 4 years but he never came across as being in his twenties and early twenties at that.

To put this tragedy in perspective, he's been a member a bit over a quarter of his life.

Back
Top Bottom