Pioneer Find

Surround kits for the HPM-150
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/pioneer-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-15jbl.html
I'd use this one over most from E-PREY.

If it were mine, I'd Spend the $$ and have the 1980 done by one of AK's TECH's (Echowars, etc.) who know the 1980 and it's problem areas, and know how to repair/update them with the latest parts, and modules. You'll end up waiting a while longer (due to long waiting times) but you'll get a 1980 that is an extremely stable, and powerful unit that will kick ass on just about anything out there. Plus these guys here have designed most all of the upgrades, mods, and workarounds for the 1980 that are out there.

Larry

GOOD GOD!

Do what Larryderouin said, get that beast to Mattsd (who knows those 1980's well) or Echowars, or any of the great techs.

As if you didn't know, they gave you around 2-3 thousand dollars worth of gear, conservatively.

Welcome to AK.

IMG_7022.JPG
Fill out your profile with your location. Members here can recommend who best to take any of your stuff for repair. Who did you take your SX-1980 to for repair and what are they planning to do to it? Did you connect it to see if it worked before you took it in for repair?

We did. One channel was dead, the other sounded awful. So far an output transistor was found to be bad. He has order a set NOS off eBay. The power supply checked out. Here are the numbers off the power supply.

Surround kits for the HPM-150
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/pioneer-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-15jbl.html
I'd use this one over most from E-PREY.

If it were mine, I'd Spend the $$ and have the 1980 done by one of AK's TECH's (Echowars, etc.) who know the 1980 and it's problem areas, and know how to repair/update them with the latest parts, and modules. You'll end up waiting a while longer (due to long waiting times) but you'll get a 1980 that is an extremely stable, and powerful unit that will kick ass on just about anything out there. Plus these guys here have designed most all of the upgrades, mods, and workarounds for the 1980 that are out there.

Larry

I contacted pacific stereo. They have about a 24-36 month wait for a full recap and restore. I'd like to eventually get that done and added my name to list.

I just wanted to say thank you to the great group on this board. Zebulon1 did a fantastic job installing the new board and getting this up and running. Thanks for the wealth of information.

Attachments

• IMG_8077.JPG
    IMG_8077.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 63
I missed this thread the first time around. That's an awesome score! :thumbsup:

The only thing that I ever got from my in-laws was a hard time. :biggrin:

Well I did get their daughter that's been with me for almost 43 years and that's worth more than a high dollar stereo outfit.

I just wanted to say thank you to the great group on this board. Zebulon1 did a fantastic job installing the new board and getting this up and running. Thanks for the wealth of information.

Two things, my lucky man -

1) Did you say Zebulon1 did the work??

2) Who did your refoams on those HPM's ??

Oh, I guess THREE things - The table that the receiver sits on.........how steady is it?? Because something scares me about those two mostly empty cubicles below, top heaviness/inverted pendulum and all.

OMG you lucky man! A SX-1980??!!! Geez I wish I had in laws or parents that had stuff like that in their home...

Congrats on the find!

Two things, my lucky man -

1) Did you say Zebulon1 did the work??

2) Who did your refoams on those HPM's ??

Oh, I guess THREE things - The table that the receiver sits on.........how steady is it?? Because something scares me about those two mostly empty cubicles below, top heaviness/inverted pendulum and all.

Yes. Zebulon1, installed the new power supply board and a fixed some damage done during shipping.

The speakers, I did one and it's "ok". The other the magnet shifted and I sent it off to speaker pros in California. I think that's the name I can double check. They did a fantastic job on the recone. It sounds better the the old cone. Although I think there is still some warping in the old cone.

A local furniture guy made th stand. It's solid and it's also has two tabs that are attached to the wall.

Zeb completely restored my SX-1010. Can't say enough about the work. Sorry the shipping apes damaged that amazing 1980.

Might eventually consider completely reconing the other woofer. Stuff like that drives me bonkers. Best of luck/congrats on an amazing gift from the family.

Zeb completely restored my SX-1010. Can't say enough about the work. Sorry the shipping apes damaged that amazing 1980.

Might eventually consider completely reconing the other woofer. Stuff like that drives me bonkers. Best of luck/congrats on an amazing gift from the family.

I would like to ship it off but I am finally enjoying it. The other speaker distorts if the volume gets up a bit but it's not terrible. I feel like I have fallen into a rabbit hole. Started out with an at lp120, now trying to decide to upgrade it or replace it, but which do you do first.

Congratulations on your latest acquisitions and on joining a fantastic forum!
This place is full of very useful information and great members who can help you out.

I've have also joined the ranks as an SX-1980 owner and have just acquired some HPM-100's. Would have loved some 150's like yours but in the UK these things are pretty rare.

You may want to read about my journey which may help in some way to the refurbishment of your unit and possibly give you some ideas.

www.sx1980.com

Regards and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom