Has anyone used this amp??? The price is right.

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
OD-BI089_TUBES_M_20151021123105.jpg

I've got one, I started a thread about it recently because I had some distortion when the volume is all the way down, and some other random points on the volume control. It sounds pretty good when it works. I'm sure upgrading the tubes would help sound quality, I've got mine on the sideline for now..

That looks like the "hybrid tube amp with bluetooth" that a certain electronics distribution place that starts with M sells. They claim the tube complement is 2x 6N1 (Chinese equivalent of the Russian 6N1P, which is similar to the 6BQ7A) and 2x 6P15 (Chinese designation for EL84). They also claim the power output is 25W. I don't see how that tube complement makes 25W of anything but heat.

It is a rebadged Nobsound MS-10d, tubes are only for the preamp section, power amp is really more like 15 w/ch.

Yup. I thought, hmmm, thats a pretty decent price for a SE el84 amp. Then when I looked into it its a hybrid.

They have a 50 wpc version of it out now. They actually spec it at 20-20K +-2dB at 0.1% THD. So maybe it's a real 50wpc.

It is a real testament to how inexpensively audio components can be made. 50 wpc SS amp, tube preamp, Bluetooth connectivity, sold in USA for $200.

Saves many $ as it has only one transformer and likely very small. Apparently some early SS amps used output transformers
and they were hi-end if I remember right.

No matter if the price is right and if it sounds good or not, I don't like to be cheated. I'm getting more and more bored by all these cheap misleading asian stuff using tubes only for decorative/marketing purposes where the active circuit hidden inside is actually a cheap class D (or linear) amp chip. If it's a "hybrid" amp it must be clearly mentioned. And at 200$, what could you really expect ?

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-...nobsound-ms-10d-mkii-tube-amplifier-black.jpgJust bought the new version of this in black came from china in 1 week, managed to avoid customs charge so cost me just over 90gbp. It looks really really nice. I like the little VU meter, and the 4 tubes with their chrome protectors.
Yes, I knew it was a hybrid, but I bought it mainly for the look and the built in bluetooth.

Thoughts so far, the bluetooth is superb - connects easily and doesnt drop out#
Generally sounds great - I see the big arguments as to if the tubes do anything

It seems to run much like the Little bear tube buffer kits people have been putting toogether for years in that the tubes do "sweeten" the sound
Much like the tube pre amps used in guitar pedals or by marshall in their valve state range

I swapped the original tubes out for a set of russian soyuz rocket marked jobs and the russians do seem to tighten the bass a little, so it seems the tubes do something other than look pretty.
Its no single ended EL34 , but it has a sweet sounding little solid state power amp , the bluetooth works a treat and it looks very cool indeed

My wife thinks it sounds good and she has heard all of my collection of various amps from chip to vintage jap and chinese all tube

If you can get these things cheap and know what you are getting ( and nice sounding hybrid) , they are worth the cheap price

They are NOT a con, unless the seller is claiming them to be a tube amp

the transformer cover I regard as a styling exercise!

Saves many $ as it has only one transformer and likely very small. Apparently some early SS amps used output transformers
and they were hi-end if I remember right.
Several early SS amps used driver transformers, but not output transformers, unless we're considering PA stuff. Only McIntosh used output-side autoformers to match the load. Those driver transformer designs were fully symmetric, as opposed to the quasi-complementary output stages that followed.

They all are 'legend' alright- legendary pieces of consumer rip off junk.

Same old questions about the same quasi-amp. Different day.

100% HYBRID AMP with the pre barely runs thru the worst tubes on the planet, and
80% of the the time the power and other transistors are counterfeit and/or used,
and a ton of other counterfeit components.

Nobsound is only one of 100 name brands of the exact same amp coming from the same low end
factory in China. This model is the worst and at the bottom of the "Dont Even Consider" list.

Post 33 here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....or-my-yaqin-mc10t.781327/page-2#post-10787129

Yes its a hybrid
Fairly typical response from some on these fora.

I have a nobsound branded EL34 amp that has been providing great service for the last year
I also have some other chinese amps including the little dot headphone amp.

I love the righteous indignation and accusation of "used" and "counterfeit" components.

I see little evidence of that in any of the stuff I have owned or built from china
Its cheap, yes, but I dont really give a damn so long as it sounds ok.
I took chance given the low price and was pleasantly surprised at the build quality.

of course, if you come from the "all china gear is rubbish" school of thought, you will happily sit singing la la la la la with your fingers in your ears.

So far , I have been impressed with the chinese chip amps I have built, the pre built SMSL stuff,little bear gear and the nobsound stuff.
I will let my ears, not my preconceptions be the arbiter.

@hobbit I've built several kits and am using several nobsound products. Only one kit I built has given me fits. I finely cured the hum using a three prong cord. I do try to research what I can first though. Hybrids are fine as long as the tubes are acually used in the circuit. I have a hybrid single ended headphone amp from nobsound that I like. Tube front end and SS output. So far I've had good luck with the Chi-Fi stuff I have bought.

I'd buy everything American if that was possible. But, in my case it's not so I have some American gear, Canadian, Chinese etc. I do my homework and try to make informed decisions. The Chinese gear I own has held up about the same as anything else I own. Bashing Chinese products is often, in the best cases born of nationalistic fervor, and in the worst cases from a veiled sort of racism. I wish that wasn't true but it's pretty obvious. It would be nice if gear was judged by performance, price, and esthetics and not country of origin.

I've got one, I started a thread about it recently because I had some distortion when the volume is all the way down, and some other random points on the volume control. It sounds pretty good when it works. I'm sure upgrading the tubes would help sound quality, I've got mine on the sideline for now..
[
Unfortunately your story is not an unfamiliar one. But thank you for posting since your experience reveals a problem that QC, should have weeded out. Or maybe they did and sold it to the outfit you bought it from. Anyway, you should return it to the dealer and get your money back. It is hard to develop a good impression of buying from whoever you got it from and other such companies who are obviously based in China. As they don't seem to realize that they are not developing any customer loyalty, or attracting new ones, by selling defective equipment.

There is well both designed and made in China electronics. Examples are Oppo and Line Magnetics. Neither of them are cheap though. If you want to get good quality, expect to pay similar to what US/Europe/Japan made devices are sold for.

@hobbit I've built several kits and am using several nobsound products. Only one kit I built has given me fits. I finely cured the hum using a three prong cord. I do try to research what I can first though. Hybrids are fine as long as the tubes are acually used in the circuit. I have a hybrid single ended headphone amp from nobsound that I like. Tube front end and SS output. So far I've had good luck with the Chi-Fi stuff I have bought.
The problem as i see it is that too often these very cheap tube amps, and sometimes not so cheap, are not vetted or documented by the sellers. So the buyer is lured in by a pretty picture of an amp with chrome and gold plated metal, a very good price, free shipping, yada, yada, yada. Who can resist? But even you had trouble but are savvy enough to know how to troubleshoot. Yet, how many of these entry level units will be bought by total newbies who would be unaware of how to diagnose a problem and may not even realize they have one. Also, you feel that you have been "lucky" with your experiences but i don't see why luck should factor into any purchase of a new audio equipment.

I'm not saying there isn't crap coming out of China. There is. I just dislike it when people throw a big blanket over everything that says made in China on it. Sadly we have more than a few of those types around here. Do the homework. Judge each piece of gear individually. Simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom