infinity 10 inch woofer foam installation issue

loudnclr

AK Member
Got my new foams for my reference 5 and kappa 6 infinitys fri and started my refoam on the ref. 5s 1 went well and the other didn't center up right, I have done 6 pairs of refoams so far with no issues but 1 has a bad rub so I removed the foam and cleaned it all up with lacquer thinner.It appears differentthan the other in regards to the spring in the voice coil.Only a small sweet spot that doesn't rub.Could this be a bad woofer or should I try again to refoam it, simply speakers are great sent me a new foam for only 10 bucks delivered, great company, I f its bad who would have an exact replacement?

Infinity made it very difficult to use shims on many of their IMG woofers, including this one. The dust cap is concave and made of the same material as the woofer, it almost looks molded into place. Removal would require extremely careful cutting and would definitely adversely impact the appearance of the speaker, if not the actual sound.

If $30/pair I'd get new ones, assuming they're actually new and not NOS (if the latter then the foam will probably start deteriorating soon).

Got my new foams for my reference 5 and kappa 6 infinitys fri and started my refoam on the ref. 5s 1 went well and the other didn't center up right, I have done 6 pairs of refoams so far with no issues but 1 has a bad rub so I removed the foam and cleaned it all up with lacquer thinner.It appears differentthan the other in regards to the spring in the voice coil.Only a small sweet spot that doesn't rub.Could this be a bad woofer or should I try again to refoam it, simply speakers are great sent me a new foam for only 10 bucks delivered, great company, I f its bad who would have an exact replacement?
If it is only one speaker I would send it to simply speakers and let them do it or tell you the problem, I had then refoam all (4) 10 woofers from my RSII. THEY did a great job.

They are European made, they have never had a complaint about these replacement speakers in all the time they have sold them 119. ea free shipping, I am gonna try to refoam the bad woofer again only ten bucks and maybe I can do better. I need the practice the kappa6 are next and with these new polymids I am gonna want a nice job since they may be keepers.

What new "poly k" midrange is $30.00 more then getting them fixed. Fixing the originals would keep the value of the speakers more depending on how it is done, who does it and of course how they sound. Someone said a while back that a Chinese company were in the process of cloning them....

On the refoam, play music while you do it. About the volume you would have your clock radio playing at the bed side. Refoamed many many woofers including infinity IMG this way and never had one rub yet.

Howdy folks: looking for a little help here form those who know. I've a friend who wants to sell me her Infinity 2000 ATX speakers. They were rebuilt in the late 90s by a former Infinity dealer and have sat as furniture ever since. Want to be fair to us both but have no idea of a price. New in 76 they were 600.00, but now? Any thoughts?

Infinity made it very difficult to use shims on many of their IMG woofers, including this one. The dust cap is concave and made of the same material as the woofer, it almost looks molded into place. Removal would require extremely careful cutting and would definitely adversely impact the appearance of the speaker, if not the actual sound.

Actually, I have done a few of the 8" and 10" Img woofers. That concave dust cap is easy to remove. Just start picking at it with your fingernail, and then run your fingernail round it until it comes free. It is pretty indestructible so you don't have to baby that dust cap. You'll have that dust cap off in less than five minutes.

Gerry

Howdy folks: looking for a little help here form those who know. I've a friend who wants to sell me her Infinity 2000 ATX speakers. They were rebuilt in the late 90s by a former Infinity dealer and have sat as furniture ever since. Want to be fair to us both but have no idea of a price. New in 76 they were 600.00, but now? Any thoughts?
You should ask this in the Dollars and Sense forum.

Actually, I have done a few of the 8" and 10" Img woofers. That concave dust cap is easy to remove. Just start picking at it with your fingernail, and then run your fingernail round it until it comes free. It is pretty indestructible so you don't have to baby that dust cap. You'll have that dust cap off in less than five minutes.

Gerry
Good to know. Ever try it with the smaller ones (I've got a few Kappa Videos that need refoaming)?

Good to know. Ever try it with the smaller ones (I've got a few Kappa Videos that need refoaming)?

The smaller ones should be the same. However, the smaller ones seem to be less touchy with centering. I don't generally shim the 5" or smaller drivers. That being said, I am in no way an expert on them, but shimming them would be more precise.

Gerry

woofer was redone and came out great learned a few lessons one this pair, most important is not to try and make the reveal of the foam exact around the frame,let it go where it needs to be to flex without rubbing, my initial placement was slightly off on the cone glueing so I tried to even it up on the outside flange gluing that's where I went bad,Got to do the midranges now on reference 5 should have thought so from the beginning. Anyway all is good with my 2 pairs of speakers.On my kappas can I just unsolder the spade from the connecting spade or should I cut it off

woofer was redone and came out great learned a few lessons one this pair, most important is not to try and make the reveal of the foam exact around the frame,let it go where it needs to be to flex without rubbing, my initial placement was slightly off on the cone glueing so I tried to even it up on the outside flange gluing that's where I went bad,Got to do the midranges now on reference 5 should have thought so from the beginning. Anyway all is good with my 2 pairs of speakers.On my kappas can I just unsolder the spade from the connecting spade or should I cut it off

Good to hear! I am from the "Don't do anything that can't be undone to bring it back to original" camp. I would unsolder if possible.

Gerry

Back
Top Bottom