My first decent turntable: Yamaha PF-800

audiodogster

4TarPaL.jpg

Think it's worthy to sit on that table?

Picked it up today for $250. Weighs 28lbs. It has an Ortofon OM30 cartridge but the stylus was damaged so I will be looking for a replacement. The seller spent about 30 minutes talking to me about it and his system. He had this and a Harman Kardon linearly tracking turntable and wanted to get rid of one so he listed this yesterday for $350, then decided to test it as it had been in storage. He said it played fine but he noticed the stylus was at the wrong angle and sure enough, it was bent, so he dropped the price to $250. It's about $220 for a new stylus from Ortofon or there are a few well-rated aftermarket option for cheaper, including one from Jico for $66. The table is in excellent shape besides a couple of cracks in the dust cover, it even has the original record clamp with strobe light marks. I need to buy a stylus and test it but he said I can bring it back if I'm dissatisfied. I've seen these go for $500+ in worse shape (minus the stylus on one) so I don't think I did too bad.

Excuse the fake setup, I put a mocked up system out a while back to stage my house.

Here's more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/B6oQY

Last edited:
Great deal. I paid nearly twice that for mine and it's was missing the strobe. Matt is rough and the rubber on the suspension covers is somewhat cracked. I'd say this is a great deal indeed.

I have probably 1000+ records by now but I don't have anything in terms of record brushes, protractors, scales, and the like. Does anyone have recommendations for what I should buy since I have little knowledge of the maintenance side of vinyl? Before I used a Marantz TT 155 (semi-automatic fairly low-end table) and just played the records.

If I remember correctly this table was Yamahas answer to the European belt drives of the early 1980s to prove that they could match or beat any belt drive table. $250 is a heck of a deal. With 1000+ record I'd be investing in a decent preowned RCM, VPI 16.5 can be had in $300-400 range if you shop smart. Also a Audioquest carbon fiber brush, digital scale, stylus brush, record inner and outer sleeves are the most common necessities to go with a table of this caliber.

I've
4TarPaL.jpg

Think it's worthy to sit on that table?

Picked it up today for $250. Weighs 28lbs. It has an Ortofon OM30 cartridge but the stylus was damaged so I will be looking for a replacement. The seller spent about 30 minutes talking to me about it and his system. He had this and a Harman Kardon linearly tracking turntable and wanted to get rid of one so he listed this yesterday for $350, then decided to test it as it had been in storage. He said it played fine but he noticed the stylus was at the wrong angle and sure enough, it was bent, so he dropped the price to $250. It's about $220 for a new stylus from Ortofon or there are a few well-rated aftermarket option for cheaper, including one from Jico for $66. The table is in excellent shape besides a couple of cracks in the dust cover, it even has the original record clamp with strobe light marks. I need to buy a stylus and test it but he said I can bring it back if I'm dissatisfied. I've seen these go for $500+ in worse shape (minus the stylus on one) so I don't think I did too bad.

Excuse the fake setup, I put a mocked up system out a while back to stage my house.

Here's more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/B6oQY
I bought my PF-800 in the early 80's. Still going strong. The only thing I've had to replace was the belt. The only issue I have is with the anti-skating adjustment; it's off by a significant amount if you use Yamaha's instructions. Otherwise, it's a great turntable. The floating suspension is fantastic. Also be aware that spare head shells are hard to find. You can find low-cost plastic replacements, but they aren't the same as the original carbon fiber composite shells. The plastic ones have a brass plate inside that causes a hum with some cartridges.

First, while your waiting for your new stylus, make sure your turntable is level, check it with at least a 6" level not just a bubble set in random places. Check it across the front of the platter and front to rear over the playing surface.

Get yourself one of these littles digital scales to verify the weight of your tonearm tracking weight for playback. They are also nice to have when matching up cartridges to headshells before you mount them to get specific weight combos, lighter headshell with heavy cart etc.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AWS-AC-100-...182661?hash=item2a692cfdc5:g:RQIAAOSwMHdXTHkT

Read up on types of protractors for cartridge alignment and the various formulas, Baerwald, Stevenson etc, also look into anit-skate and tracking, all of which you'll need to know. You'll be better off if you have a bit of a vison and understanding going in than just asking for answers to issues/problems, it is a process and some don't stay with it.

Last edited:
I have probably 1000+ records by now but I don't have anything in terms of record brushes, protractors, scales, and the like. Does anyone have recommendations for what I should buy since I have little knowledge of the maintenance side of vinyl? Before I used a Marantz TT 155 (semi-automatic fairly low-end table) and just played the records.

Here is a digital scale that lies fairly flat on the platter with the mat remove. :music:
https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digi...id=1487968831&sr=8-2&keywords=turntable+scale

For a record sweeper I have not found anything better than the original DiscWasher I, it has stiffer bristles than the II. They are around if you look good.

Two things I would do, get the Jico replacement, and send the original to Andy at needleclinic, he can either fix the bent stylus, or rebuild it. It may not be cost effective though,unless upgrading the tip to a micro ridge.

I actually liked the Jico replacement better than the original.

Lovely table, and stupendous price. Enjoy that bad boy. Also, if you don't want to spring for what Majick recommended ( and I agree with him) then get a shop vac, an old broken tt, and scour Bartertown for one of hi*ball's econowands. They also have some on that auction site. Buy some tergitol and you're cleaning those records properly.

But if you have the cabbage, yeah, just get a VPI.

With a 1000 records that I would assume are at least valuable to you and in decent shape the reason I recommended the preowned VPI RCM is that you should protect that substantial investment and also protect the cartridge stylus from excessive wear never mind the improved sound quality you will gain. There are less costly record cleaning methods that will come close or equal the VPI RCM but they probably wont be as convenient or as efficient. I overlooked the level and as suggested don't skimp with a cheap bubble level that I have found to be hit and miss, a 6-8 inch level from the hardware store for $5 or less is much better choice. Like your Yamaha invest in quality accessories from the start and you wont be disappointed or spending money again for the same item. Consider the VPI a very long term investment, with careful use 25+ years of service is more than possible.

Back
Top Bottom