What TT's do you folks have

Just scored a Thorens TD-160! Impressive upgrade from my old Technics!
Some cosmetic scratches on the black faceplate, and the dust cover has a few knocks and wounds, but overall in excellent condition.
My first impressions: impressive bass, weighty delivery, I can now play old scratchy records and enjoy them, and instruments have incredible realism (especially piano).
I recently bought an expensive (for me) Grado 8MZ stylus, but unfortunately Grados seem to hum more on a Thorens (AC motor!) than on a Technics, and the fact that it is so revealing means it is doubly annoying. Anyone want to trade an 8MZ with about 40 hours on it for something comparable? It's a shame because outside of the hum it sounds so good.
IMG_1218.JPG

T
I've been interested in Garrard since childhood as the first record player my parents owned was a 1950's EAR reproducer which had a valve amp and a Garrard RC120H turntable in it. My interest in the Lab 80 was kindled by the "My Garrard Lab 80 Obsession" thread on this site which was posted back in 2010. I read all the interesting comments by members on restoring these great turntables (all 38 pages of them!) and decided this was the turntable for me as I wanted to build a small vintage system to give me that British Audio sound.

The Lab 80 arm is actually aluminium with an Afromosia teak wood covering on top. It's a high mass arm but beautifully engineered and can track down to 1g despite being a changer. I'm running it with a Shure M44-7 cartridge which came with the TT and it sounds solid with a real depth to the sound.

The build quality of the TT is superb, the last of the really well engineered Garrard TT's. someone once described it as a cross between a Swiss watch and a tank.

I like the overall 1960s style of the TT too. Very simple and industrial looking with a delicate beauty to it. No fancy gimmicks, just everything that is needed and no more. The fact it is an automatic and a changer as well is just the icing on the cake.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-garrard-lab-80-obsession.278625/

Thanks for the details I am guessing since it can track so low, that like the at-6 it is one of the models with higher quality trip paw?

A couple I use for archiving and audio restoration:
1) An AT-LP1240-USB
2) A Dual 1229
Each one of them is hooked up to an ART DJDualPreII phono preamp.

Well... I have 3 currently.

My main turntable is my Project Debut Carbon, fitted with the Ortofon 2M Red Have the acrylic platter and the Project Phono Box S. Also got the pulley and 2M 78 stylus to play back some 78's I have.

Have a video up of Glen Miller's Moonlight Serenade

I also have a Technics SL-QD33, direct drive turntable with a Shure M800 P-mount stylus and actually plays pretty good.

The third turntable is a work in progress... It is an old Magnovox Micromatic turntable. Needs a new idler wheel and some work on the tonearm, otherwise no other problems. The problem is finding the idler wheels that don't cost a fortune. So probably would be a while before I get around to fixing that.

ADC Accutrac+6
Technics SL-Q20
Technics SL-B2
MCS Series 6601 (the one currently in use)

Posted the above in 2009........what I have now is listed below:

Thorens TD-124
Dual CS-5000
Empire 589 III Troubador
Yamaha PX-3
Pioneer PL-630

DSC06985_DxO.jpg My wife and I have decided to do a little bit of simplification and decided that we don't need two turntables att so I'm getting rid of the Pro-ject Essential and keeping the DUAL 1249. The Pro-ject has a new home with a friend. I've had the DUAL for years and it started life in my home as a non-working thrift store find with excellent cosmetics. After I did a careful repair and refurb, the DUAL has been a very pleasing machine and completely trouble free. The 1249 has a Stanton 780 mounted (great cartridge, btw) with a Shure V15III in reserve.

Last edited:
Well, right now, I have a Pioneer PL 12d, Pioneer PL 550, Pioneer PL510a, 2 AR XAUs, an AR XAU with what looks like an XB tonearm, and a Garrard 301/SME3009.
The PL12 is off to a new home tomorrow though.

I can't say I need them all but I love them all!

At the moment I have 3 tt's.

Pioneer X21Z
Pioneer PL Z81
Pioneer PL100

I'm currently using the Z81 as I recently purchased the PL100 but I'm waiting for a new headshell, cartridge and stylus to arrive.

My choice for use is a JVC QL-Y5F. I love the controls are mounted outside the hood. Minimal vibration as servos function.

My old Kenwood KP-07 [made by Micro Seiki] ...

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

05.jpg

Currently have:

Technics SL-D1 (owned since new in 1979 and used daily)
Technics SL-1700 (currently in my son's setup)
Thorens TD-166 mk ii
Dual CS 616Q ($2 Thrift Store find - used for playing questionable Thrift Store albums)

SteveH

Back
Top Bottom