2017 Play List (New Releases)

Krokofant ~ Krokofant III

On their third album in just three years, Krokofant typify a new and invigorating movement currently sweeping the Nordic region: hard-boiled improvisation and strong instrumental personalities bolted onto rock beats and driving rhythms. Equally powerful on record and on stage, Krokofant pull no punches, sounding off like some unholy three-way marriage of early '70s jazz rock (think Mahavishnu Orchestra, Terje Rypdal), the sprawling progressive odysseys of King Crimson and Van Der Graaf Generator, and the fierce heat of John Zorn or Peter Brötzmann's harsh free jazz ensembles.

MI0004180761.jpg

View attachment 867286

Flaming Lips - Oczy Mlody

IMO one of their best releases. Amazing sonics with trippy sounds everywhere and a bottom end that will test your system. I just discovered this January release a week or two ago and have already felt the need to listen to it 3-4 times. If you are a Lips fan or just like great sounding avant garde music with a dose of funk and psychedelia give it a spin.
This deserves a bump. Picked this up today and only had time to play through once. It's as if "The Soft Bulletin" and "Yoshimi" had a baby. So far I really like this. Good to see them back on track (I wasn't a big fan of the last release). You ain't kidding about the bass. I played this on my shit car system and things were rattling. I'd be scared to play this with a subwoofer connected. I can't wait to play this on some cans tomorrow.

I picked this up on Friday, but had a busy weekend and haven't had a chance to spin it. I listened to the NPR pre-release stream several times last week and was impressed. Where she wrote only one song on her first solo album, she's written the majority this time around.

I picked this up on Friday, but had a busy weekend and haven't had a chance to spin it. I listened to the NPR pre-release stream several times last week and was impressed. Where she wrote only one song on her first solo album, she's written the majority this time around.

I am really enjoying it....

MI0004204891.jpg

Spoon
Hot Thoughts
3-17-17
(Received my copy a few days early)
http://www.allmusic.com/album/hot-thoughts-mw0003016439

I've only listened twice, but, there might not be a more consistent rock band out there today. Another 40 minutes of ear worms from Spoon. Immediately accessible and was better the second time. A little funkier then their previous album Britt Daniel and Co. carefully blend old school rock, new wave pop, and fuzzy psychedelic like no one else.

I usually like to listen to an album more before casting judgement, with this album I know I'll continue to like it for years to come. Well done.

BTW, Since They Want My Soul was so brick walled on CD I decided to get the vinyl, in purple.
spoon_4.jpg

Last edited:
media-pre-order-live-from-the-fox-oakland-cd-blu-ray-set-1_grande.jpg

Tedeschi Trucks Band
Live from the Fox Oakland
3-17-17
(Received my copy a few days early)
http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-from-the-fox-oakland-mw0003016213

I opted for the CD / Blu Ray package. I watched the BR and what a band! Derek Trucks' playing is off the hook. My wife usually is not a big fan of southern rock / jam band styles but even she commented on how good the music was.

Fans of the band will be happy and if you don't know who they are you need to give it a listen. Excellent concert recording.

Last edited:
homepage_large.539a2fef.jpg

Sun Kil Moon - Common as Light and Love Are Red Valleys of Blood
Caldo Verde (24 Feb 2017)

Sprawling 130 minute double CD. Still not certain what to make of this; there's a lot to take in. Steve Shelley (ex Sonic Youth) on drums does great work on this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom