2016-2017 College Basketball Thread

Rumor has it Michigan may have punched their ticket to the big dance tonite ...

So now, it'll be at least twice as humiliating if my Spartans don't make it, and three out of five remaining games are against top 25 teams ... should make things interesting, in an Izzo kinda way.

I went to Morgantown, WV last weekend to watch their double OT win over Texas Tech. Good, clean fun. Later that night, I parked my ass on a barstool at the Hotel Morgan's "Lobby Bar" and went swimming in an IPA haze as my UVa Cavaliers lost another and are trending in the dreaded wrong direction.

If I had to pick a team to win it all right now, it would be Kansas.

KeninDC - is your Coach doing better after his health scare on the court the other day?

News stories say Bob Huggins is doing fine. I guess he's got a defibrillator that was a bit too aggressive during his last game and it went off and sent him to his knees. I wish he would lose some weight. People seem to love him. I ran into him once before a football game at the Waterfront Hotel in Morgantown.

My other coach, Tony Bennet, scared me last year when he collapsed from dehydration. But, hey, I get worked up and pace in front of the TV when either UVa or WVU is playing.

I am ashamed to admit that I watched college hoops for the first time last night (other than the Grayson Alien incident). Figured I better cram for the impending Bracketology season. I caught about half of Louisville-NC, and saw highlights of the Duke-'Cuse game at the half. Looks like Syracuse is back on the bubble after that win.

Definitely a weird year in the B1G, with Purdue on top and Sparty and Michigan mired in the middle. That is the main reason for my lack of interest. If I can't cull enough intel from these last games and conference tournaments, I will have to just go random on my picks. Sadly, nobody will be able to tell the difference.

Hang in there ... Sparty's starting to put it together. They SHOULD be able to get at least a couple more wins under their belt and at least get into the dance.

Certainly hope that if they do, they don't run into Middle Tennessee like last year. That was ... embarrassing ...

Middle-Tennessee-stuns-Michigan-State.jpg

It could happen too. They're 24-4 this year and have a pretty good lock on their conference for an automatic bid. We also know what a bunch of wise a$$es the selection committee can be if they put their minds to it. <G>

News stories say Bob Huggins is doing fine. I guess he's got a defibrillator that was a bit too aggressive during his last game and it went off and sent him to his knees. I wish he would lose some weight. People seem to love him. I ran into him once before a football game at the Waterfront Hotel in Morgantown.

My other coach, Tony Bennet, scared me last year when he collapsed from dehydration. But, hey, I get worked up and pace in front of the TV when either UVa or WVU is playing.
I didn't realize he had a defibrillator or that he had had previous heart issues. It would be much healthier if he lost weight. :(

Gonzaga could have used a FEW defibrillators in the building last night. Don't suppose it was a case of "we're invincible" rearing it's ugly head?

Kudos to BYU ... they earned that one.

image.jpg

I would assUme BYU punched their ticket to the dance last night ... Yet another opportunity for the wise a$$es in the selection committee to arrange a rematch, especially if BYU puts on a decent show in their tournament, and Gonzaga drops another one, losing their #1 seed. Biggest knock about their run this year has been strength of schedule, and another loss could really hurt.

:lurk:

Last edited:
Definitely a weird year in the B1G, with Purdue on top and Sparty and Michigan mired in the middle. That is the main reason for my lack of interest.

Catch tonite's game? Not only did Sparty pretty much get a lock for the national tournament (barring a meltdown of biblical proportions in the final two games of the season), they MAY have set themselves up for a double bye in the B1G tournament. With today's shuffle, Sparty should be a #4 seed, squeezing ahead of Minnesota due to the head to head results.

Not sure what all's going on with the Badgers ... Nebraska figured out how to take Happ out of the game, and they've struggled since. MSU held him to 8 points before he fouled out.

Catch tonite's game? Not only did Sparty...
:blah::blah::blah:
Sadly, no.
I didn't hear the outcome til this morning, either.
With Michigan's defeat of Purdue and Indiana knocking off N'western it really closed up the middle of the conference. Wolverines may have the easier row to hoe, but like Sparty finish with two on the road.

KU is deservedly #1 this week. Saturday was great for me with UVa and WVU winning (and Duke losing for the cherry on top). Nice to see Gonzaga go down. Their "little sisters of the poor" (thanks, Bill Walton) schedule is beyond weak. Same goes for St. Mary's.

I was impressed with UCLA and the Spartans. Spartans will sneak into the tournament and are peaking at the right time. UCLA looks good, but I don't think they could survive in the Big 12 or the ACC. But I'm biased and, except for this weekend, have Big 12/ACC blinders on.

And a shout out to VA Tech for playing some solid ball and likely getting into the tournament for the first time since 2007.

Sparty's just doin' what Sparty do ... their end of season push is almost legendary now ... see ya in the Finals! <G>

BTN has MSU at the #3 spot for a double bye in the B10 tournament now. They jumped up over Maryland as well because of their head to head record. Subject to change of course, but certainly a far cry from where they were just a month ago. Not sure if they could have done it without Izzo ... the man's got magic!

February Madness!

PS ... wonder if UCLA has a gag order on Lonzo Ball's father yet? Think Steph Curry will be showing up at any more of their games? <G>

** Will Sparty sneak into the AP poll this week? Only reason Virginia is ranked now at 19-9 is SOS and RPI, and MSU ain't no slouch there either. We'll find out shortly.

Last edited:
Go 'Caines and/or Fightin' Illini.

(Is either side performin' decently (thus far) this season?)

Jeez, Edwin. I thought I was bad. Don't you get fake news over there?

Miami beat Duke Saturday night. So they got that goin' for 'em.
It was Duke's second consecutive loss. Not enough to wipe that smirk off (Dis)Grayson Allen's mug though. He makes me miss Laettner.

Illinois could get into the dance if they somehow win the Big10 Tournament.

Miami plays at Va Tech tonight. Should be a good game. I'm a big fan of both coaches. Hopefully, the Hokies can continue their lights-out shooting. They shot 67% from the field in their last game against (an admittedly weak) Boston College.

Oh, nooooOOOOOOooooooo ...

feb27-bracket.jpg

CURSE YOU, MIDDLE TENNESSEE !!

Early brackets are fun, ain't they? Congrats to KU on the well deserved #1 ...

Early brackets are fun, ain't they? Congrats to KU on the well deserved #1 ...

Let's see what it looks like if Sparty loses at Illinois and MD. They need one of those road wins to stay in it.

Back
Top Bottom