What are You Streaming and Tell Us About Your Streaming Rig

pustelniakr

Silver Miner at Large
Subscriber
The thread title tells it all, pretty much. I'll start...

Currently, I'm streaming some nice tunes from Pandora: Fusion Jazz Radio, Kyle Eastwood "Marrakech." I am running the Pandora app (installed from the Play Store) in high-res mode. I have several "radio" selections I listen to, but I spend most of my time listening to "Fusion Jazz Radio," as presented. I don't "like" or "not like" anything, because that tends to make the selections too narrow for me.

My rig occupies a whole wall of my living room, so I will only describe what is in play while streaming. I'll start from the delivery and end at the source. My main rig is primarily vintage high end Pioneer from the late 70s. My speakers are a triple stack of Pioneer HPM-100s, driven by a pair of Pioneer SPEC-4s, which are driven by a Pioneer SPEC-1. All are fully restored, including recap. There is much more gear in the rig. This is what is in play while streaming.

My streaming source starts with my Cox cable into a Motorola SurfBoard SBG6782-AC cable modem and WIFI access point. I tap my WIFI on a relatively free 2.4G WIFI channel and get enough speed to enjoy 4K TV streaming without stuttering in real-time streaming.

My primary streaming source is a Wellwin T95N streaming box, which is actually a mini-M8S Pro, running full Android 6.0 that has been fully rooted and loaded with everything needed to sit and be entertained ad infinitum. It has a quad core Amlogic S905X CPU with 2G RAM and 8G ROM.

I am using a Panlong PL-HA-TosRCA HDMI audio extractor to feed the streaming box's output into my vintage Pioneer MA-62A mixer, which feeds the SPEC-1 preamp.

I must say that I am quite pleased with what my ears are receiving, and this configuration has become my primary means of audio enjoyment. I have KODI installed on the streaming box, so I have access to hundreds of music sources from all over the world, but Pandora has become my primary source. I discover all kinds of music which I then go to my local used vinyl shop (the largest in the southwest) and buy.

For super-critical listening, I still appeal to my vinyl, tape, and optical disc sources, but streaming has taken is rightful place among them.

Now...what do you like to stream, and on what equipment?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Mine's very simple: Chromecast Audio into my quad receiver. Pandora Plus and Spotify Connect. Pandora is great for music discovery and their Music Genome Project does a great job at curating the different stations. Spotify's 320kbps streaming rate is good and I doubt I could differentiate it from CD quality. But I might give Tidal a try with their hi-res offering.

Streaming is really all I listen to... except for the rare listen to a CD on my blu-ray player.

I primarily stream through my office rig, Pandora Plus through a desktop computer linked via Toslink to a Maverick Tubemagic D-1 into a Carver TFM-35 driving a pair of Boston VR-20 Linfields and a M&K V-90 sub. .

Streaming my own library of .flac files or Spotify Premium starts with LogitechMediaServer (LMS) running in a Virtual Machine on a Dell T7400 Workstation (the host and VM run Ubuntu Server 16.04). The music is sent to one of four players through a Ubee cable/wifi router. The main system consists of a Gateway LT20 Netbook running Linix Mint 18 and Squeezelite (a Squeezebox emulator). The signal then goes via usb to a Schiit Modi DAC which is connected to a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 pre-amp and then onto a newly made Maganavox DG-SE1 amp and a Polk Audio PSW550 subwoofer. The amp is connected to a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls.

The system can be controlled from a phone, tablet or computer.

...and that is my one source main system. :music:

Last edited:
Asus Chromebox by way of usb out to a Turtle Beach Micro 11 optical out to Fiio Taishan Dac to a SMSL Amp and then to a Bose Acoutimass speaker system. (Don't laugh.) I've had better speakers including Pioneer, Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm,
Onix, etc. but to these old ears the Bose ain't bad to be little bitty fellers. I also stream from Ipad to Chromecast audio to the Fiio dac and on thru to the speakers. Right now I am listening to internet radio Jazz Fusion on the 1st system.

My main streaming sources:

Apple Music
My lossless ALAC library
Amazon Music
Google Play/Youtube Red

My Main streaming setup:

iPad to Denon X4200 receiver (direct streaming or as a remote for my own files)

(I have a lot more about the different streaming setups in "my stuff" thread.)

Last edited:
I'm currently streaming from Stingray music which is a Canadian service that is available to subscribers of some TV providers. I most often stream their Jazz Radio: Hard Bop channel which is currently playing Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers.

I'm running the Stingray android app and casting to a Chromecast Audio in my bedroom system which is connected to a Pioneer SA-9900 integrated amp that is playing through Allison Four speakers and an SVS sub.

For local content, I use a Raspberry Pi 3 running Open Media Vault with the Plex Media Server plug-in. Again, I cast to my vintage setups using CCA from my Android tablet using either the Plex mobile app or the Hi-Fi Cast android app which supports gapless audio. OMV also allows the RPi 3 to serve as a NAS.

Les

Very simple setup atm.

Asus Fonepad 7 with Asus "Sonicmaster" analog out (Whatever Sonicmaster means..) to a Nikko 715 receiver and a pair of Mirage FRX-1's.

I like it a lot, and I am in deep gratitude to the gentleman who sold me everything but the Asus.

Amazon Prime Music mostly as I'm somewhat new to streaming and this was something I had access to as my wife has a prime account.

Very pleased so far with how it all works.

Streaming is a lovely thing and I never thought I would end up enjoying it as much as I do.

Eric

3469mv4.jpg

Mine's pretty simple Pandora Plus thru my droid smartphone to an audioengine bluetooth from there optical out to Mcintosh D100 dac. From there it's piped into my main rig. It's much too compressed for critical listening but it is a nice alternative when I tire of the drivel on fm radio..

Asus Chromebox by way of usb out to a Turtle Beach Micro 11 optical out to Fiio Taishan Dac to a SMSL Amp and then to a Bose Acoutimass speaker system. (Don't laugh.) I've had better speakers including Pioneer, Klipsch, Polk, Paradigm,
Onix, etc. but to these old ears the Bose ain't bad to be little bitty fellers. I also stream from Ipad to Chromecast audio to the Fiio dac and on thru to the speakers. Right now I am listening to internet radio Jazz Fusion on the 1st system.

No need to apologize for Bose on this forum. Of course, this is my opinion... but it's too bad so many posters "apologize" for their Bose speakers. Hold your head high when you identify as a Bose owner. I hold my head high when I mention my Soundesign setup :)rflmao:). Just kidding about that. Those little cubes do an amazing job especially when one considers just how small they really are. FWIW... I don't have any Bose speakers anymore, but I certainly cannot and will not knock or mock them... or their owners. Anyone who does knock them, well... their comments on whatever subject will carry no weight with me.

The idea here is to enjoy streaming... even if it's through your vintage Soundesign system... and sharing how it is you do your streaming.

Rant over. Cheers.:beerchug:

Mines very simple as well, Computer to AuneT-1 DAC , then cables straight into what ever receiver or preamp I am using. DAC uses a simple 6922 tube and only cost 150..00 3 years ago. Cheap but effective. :) AL

I stream Tidal (AAC 320kbps) ... YouTube, Spotify w/ adds ... some other sites .... but mostly Tidal.

Ethernet > Hp Laptop > Aq Jittergugs (2) > AQ Forest USB > Schiit Modi 2 Uber > AQ Evergreen RCA to mains rig.

Streaming & Vinyl are my most used sources as of late.

Mean Greens, Eddie Harris.

Tidal MQA file via Mac Mini/Uptone Audio Regen/Meridian Explorer2 Dac/Audiquest Evergreen interconnect/ Modwright LS100 Pre/ D-Sonic M-3-1200S/Maggie's/Salk Sound Sub.

I guess I have three setups.

Tidal HiFi > Mac Mini 2012 > Audioengine D1 > Headroom Micro Amp headphone amp, line-out to Stellar Labs T-Amp, speakers are swapping between modified Dayton B652 Airs and Acoustic Research Holographic Image M.5. This is my main system, it's in my office, and I can use any headphones with it as well, which is how I primarily listen, living in an apartment and all.

In the living room we have a turntable and we also use Spotify/Tidal. We use a Chromecast Audio as a transport/DAC, to a Yamaha R-S201 receiver, and swap between Pioneer BS22 and Fluance SX6 speakers. This is the communal setup with the Chromecast and the Yamaha having belonged to my partner before her and I moved in together. I also use a garbage ass Bravo V2 hybrid headphone amp running off the Yamaha's tape output for headphones.

On the go, I had been using an old iPhone 5 streaming Tidal through a VE interconnect to a Fiio E11 amp. Then the LG V20 went on a one day sale at my work so I bought that as my new dap. With the 32-bit quad dac and impedance sensing variable headphone output, it's an incredible phone that can even drive my AKG k701s. I can't say enough about it. Except that it's huge, feels fragile, and any protective case will limit headphone jacks without extensive modifications. My iPhone SE is still my daily phone. The V20 is just a music player.

No need to apologize for Bose on this forum. Of course, this is my opinion... but it's too bad so many posters "apologize" for their Bose speakers. Hold your head high when you identify as a Bose owner. I hold my head high when I mention my Soundesign setup :)rflmao:). Just kidding about that. Those little cubes do an amazing job especially when one considers just how small they really are. FWIW... I don't have any Bose speakers anymore, but I certainly cannot and will not knock or mock them... or their owners. Anyone who does knock them, well... their comments on whatever subject will carry no weight with me.

The idea here is to enjoy streaming... even if it's through your vintage Soundesign system... and sharing how it is you do your streaming.

Rant over. Cheers.:beerchug:
I was really buying the used Bose on the "bay" to hook to my 4k tv for a better sound there and then thought what the heck let's see what music sounds like through these little guys. I was pleasantly surprised and the small
foot print is great. I can move my bigger monitors out of the room now.

I run 320kbps Tidal from their pc app on my desktop computer through a Schiit Wyrd filter to a Modi DAC and into my 170 wpc 40 year old Kenwood. It actually doesn't sound bad at all really, but I feel there is sq to be had by going with Tidal hi fi and I suppose MQA too although I am not certain about MQA just yet. Also this is the original Modi so I know for a fact that the Modi multibit sounds quite a bit better, but I would need to disconnect it from my Raspberry Pi every time I wanted to stream something. The multibit stays tied to the rpi where it plays the music I own.

Spotify Premium:

Laptop
USB Regen/LPS-1
Curious Cables-Regen-Link Full Loom
IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif
DEQ2496
Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC(discrete op-amps)

Last edited:
I run 320kbps Tidal from their pc app on my desktop computer through a Schiit Wyrd filter to a Modi DAC and into my 170 wpc 40 year old Kenwood. It actually doesn't sound bad at all really, but I feel there is sq to be had by going with Tidal hi fi and I suppose MQA too although I am not certain about MQA just yet. Also this is the original Modi so I know for a fact that the Modi multibit sounds quite a bit better, but I would need to disconnect it from my Raspberry Pi every time I wanted to stream something. The multibit stays tied to the rpi where it plays the music I own.
:thumbsup: for you on the 320k.

But in other words, Tidal is worth $10 but not $20 a month? I recall suggesting to you that you should opt in with the Hi-Fi tier during your free trial once you obtained the bandwidth from your ISP. That didn't happen?

:thumbsup: for you on the 320k.

But in other words, Tidal is worth $10 but not $20 a month? I recall suggesting to you that you should opt in with the Hi-Fi tier during your free trial once you obtained the bandwidth from your ISP. That didn't happen?
No it didn't. I didn't qualify for the free trial as I had tried Tidal a few years back but canceled after finding my isp couldn't hack it. Now I have a faster connection and it works well with only a slight pause about 10 seconds into a song once in a while. I find Tidal 320 serves me pretty well and I can get an idea if I want to invest in buying a cd.
I know I could just listen to all (or at least mostly all) my music on Tidal but I still prefer my music played from JRiver with all the multitude of playlists options. Perhaps someday they will be like Roon and do both streaming and hard drive music together seamlessly, but maybe not.

Now I have a faster connection and it works well with only a slight pause about 10 seconds into a song once in a while.

Not sure if you are using the Web or Desktop player ... but thought I would mention it.

I use to have that problem w/ Tidal (320k AAC) ... long story short ... solved it by installing the Desktop Player & using that vice the Web Player. Now if I get any pauses at all (which is rare) ...
they are between tracks (the new song takes longer to start) ... no interruption to the song playing.

Back
Top Bottom