Yamaha NS-2000 1st Impressions

Yeah I was speaking in jest about considering the NS-5000. Completely satisfied with what I have, plus my wife hasn't killed me yet. Shes understanding to a point but something like that would definitely push it to the outside of the envelope.

While shipping is expensive, if you think about it shipping 250 lbs half way around the world the price seems a bit more reasonable. Your right about the magnets - I was checking with some of the proxy services in Japan and they refuse to ship drivers because of the magnets.

In my system, upgrading to the 2000's was a huge improvement over the 1000 ebony's in the area's of bass and imaging. The mids,highs and soundstage were a noticeable improvement also, but not as noticeable as the bass and imaging were
My NS-1000xw's while not having low bass have superb midrange and treble. They have a later generation of the midrange and tweeter than the NS-1000M and NS-1000. Friends that are familiar with the NS-1000M found the NS-1000xw's to have better balance and did not cause listening fatigue. That said, I'd still love a pair of NS-2000's or NSX-10000's.

Last edited:
To get the most from the NS 2000 a great amp like the MX-1000 and an even better preamp, that's why the guy said that. You haven't heard anything yet. With an expensive high end turntable combination added you will get a sound that leaves all else behind. The better pre and amp you use.......

Just a quick update, the 2000's are now wired up to the the Yammy B-1 amp and it is a definite improvement over the 2000/B-2 combo. Don't get me wrong the B-2 sounds fantastic with the 2000's, but this is just a different beast now. If anyone has the chance to join these two in holy matrimony, I'd highly recommend it! You'll love their musical offspring...

Just a quick update, the 2000's are now wired up to the the Yammy B-1 amp and it is a definite improvement over the 2000/B-2 combo. Don't get me wrong the B-2 sounds fantastic with the 2000's, but this is just a different beast now. If anyone has the chance to join these two in holy matrimony, I'd highly recommend it! You'll love their musical offspring...
Great. With which preamp?

My NS-1000xw's while not having low bass have superb midrange and treble. They have a later generation of the midrange and tweeter than the NS-1000M and NS-1000. Friends that are familiar with the NS-1000M found the NS-1000xw's to have better balance and did not cause listening fatigue. That said, I'd still love a pair of NS-2000's or NSX-10000's.
Hi Mark, I plan on revising the crossover on my 1KXs, in the near future. Based on what I read so far, their low-end response can be optimized. Of course I too, would think that the NS-2K would be a nice addition to my stable, but as far as the 10K or the new 5K, not sure about their marginal benefit. I would say that the 2K would hit the sweet spot from many perspectives and I added a set to my bucket list a while back.

Hi Mark, I plan on revising the crossover on my 1KXs, in the near future. Based on what I read so far, their low-end response can be optimized. Of course I too, would think that the NS-2K would be a nice addition to my stable, but as far as the 10K or the new 5K, not sure about their marginal benefit. I would say that the 2K would hit the sweet spot from many perspectives and I added a set to my bucket list a while back.

Would this mod be based on Troells G's revamp of the original NS-1000 crossover? Hifido recapped my NS-1000x's with Audyn Q4's but I'd like to have heard them with the originals.

The B-1 is an extraordinary amp.

Would this mod be based on Troells G's revamp of the original NS-1000 crossover? Hifido recapped my NS-1000x's with Audyn Q4's but I'd like to have heard them with the originals.
I have to track down that thread, but is basically tweaking the low end filter cap value....not the entire crossover.

I do not know abt the 2000, but the 1000x only came alive after I turned up the dial a bit. At low volumes, my b-1 sounds dull.
That said, I do suspect my b-1 might need some "tuning".

And how does it sound? I also have this laying around for the day I have the time, but I'm still in doubt whether I should go down this road. Non X btw. And maybe a bit off-topic.

Attachments

• IMG_3614.JPG
    IMG_3614.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 24
I do not know abt the 2000, but the 1000x only came alive after I turned up the dial a bit. At low volumes, my b-1 sounds dull.
That said, I do suspect my b-1 might need some "tuning".

My B-1/2000 sounds very nice at lower listen levels. Going from lower to higher volume seems to be very linear, to the point where I would think a loudness switch is completely unnecessary. I listen a lot at lower volume levels. The 2000/B-1 sounds better than the 2000/B-2, and the 2000/B-2 diffidently sounds better than the 1000/B-2. I've never heard the 1000x or the 1000/B-1 combo

The full sound spectrum, particularly the bass and highs on the 2000's just seems so effortless, even at lower listening levels. The B-1 feels like a diesel train - no matter how fast or slow it's going, it has that power and momentum behind it.

A B-1 tuneup couldn't hurt, especially if you're still rocking the original main filter caps. Somewhere I read on AK (cdfac?) that replacing the filter caps made a huge difference on his B-1

And how does it sound? I also have this laying around for the day I have the time, but I'm still in doubt whether I should go down this road. Non X btw. And maybe a bit off-topic.

Well that's my problem, I've never heard the original caps. The original caps on my NS-690's sound incredible but I guess hifido saw fit to bring the X's into the 21st century. I'd say they sound great but are definitely not forgiving of any sort of distortions and are definitely placement dependent. The NS-690's are much less fussy so I tend to use those more. But with a/b detail you can absolutely hear where the 690's leave off and the X's start.

V-FET amp with Be domes is absolutely glorious. My set up was the poor man's B-2 and NS-1000M. Can't imagine how much better the B-1 NS-2000 combo must be,

A B-1 tuneup couldn't hurt, especially if you're still rocking the original main filter caps. Somewhere I read on AK (cdfac?) that replacing the filter caps made a huge difference on his B-1

True. That is what I suspect. Main filter caps are one of the first thing I plan to change on that B-1. I already got some replacement caps, I just need the time :)

That's what I find so wonderful about the B-1, it sounds fantastic at all volumes as does the B-2. :thumbsup:

I did not have any issues with the B-2 at any level, but I never had the time to hook one up to the NS1KX either.

I know my B-1 needs maintenance, but I also suspect some operator error. I really did not have time to setup a proper listening environment.....

Back
Top Bottom