New listening space.. new system

Very nice. As an NHT fan I've always wanted to hear the 3.3's. Do you know if yours are the early or the late version? I thought I read somewhere that the late version had upgraded crossovers.

Does the Roxul behind the drywall do anything for the acoustics in the room? Or is it just to keep sound from escaping?

What do you listen to?

Last edited:
recent pic, I actually rotated the subs 180 and brought them farther from the front wall. seems to have cleaned up some of low end.

convert

The ARC LS16 MkII has dual Balanced Outputs, which is a must for me, since one set drives my modified Behringer DCX2496 3 way crossover for the tri - amped MGIIIa's, and the other pair drives my NHT X1 stereo Sub woofer Crossover. These are connected by 2 pair of 26 ft balanced cables built with Canare L-4E6S cable and Neutrik balanced connectors. I guess this really makes my main rig quad - amped.
When selecting amps for bi or tri amping, pay attention to the impedances of the drivers when selecting amps, the ribbons in my Magnapans are 2 ohm which led me to the Quicksilver mini monos with their 2 ohm taps which are rare in tube amps.
Regards,
Jim

very nice. I make use of dual balanced out outputs of my Integra Research as well, I use mogami star quad- very similar to your canare, I use nuetrik connectors as well.

I believe the upper end of the NHT bi amp is 6 ohm nominal and the low end 12" woofer is 4 ohm, so I think I have a large range of tube amps that will be able to drive the mids/highs effectively

Very nice. As an NHT fan I've always wanted to hear the 3.3's. Do you know if yours are the early or the late version? I thought I read somewhere that the late version had upgraded crossovers.

Does the Romulo behind the drywall do anything for the acoustics in the room? Or is it just to keep sound from escaping?

What do you listen to?

I will email NHT the serial #s to confirm but I'm pretty sure I have the later version as I have the aluminum dome tweeter, I've read earlier versions had a cloth tweeter as well

the roxul safe n sound insulation is good for dampening sound both leaving and entering the room, and I think the r value for retaining heat is better than the generic fiberglass. The real acoustic benefit comes from the resilient channel which decouples all the of 5/8 drywall from the studs, stopping resonation and minimizing many room interactions.

I listen to everything from Jazz to Hip/hop, used to be a huge metal head as well. I have a lot of "not great" quality albums that I regularly listen to, but also have a good amount of high res lossless music most of my jazz/classical recordings. most of my stuff is redbook CD though, and I have maybe 750gb of music.

One suggestion. Paint. It doesn't take long and I think you'll be surprised at how much more it makes the room seem comfortable.

Just pick a neutral color for the walls and a white for the ceiling. You can always paint over it later.

I'm assuming the Sheetrock is sanded and ready for paint? If not get everything out of there before you prep it otherwise your gear will never be clean again.

Working out details to get a pair of magnepan 3.7s from a fellow in montreal, the weak cad makes the deal killer!

montreal is one of my favorite cities to vacation to as well, will make for a great 2 birds one stone trip!

I am so impressed by your system, it must fill out that room so well.

thanks so much.. and it does fill the room great!

in other news.. the magnepan 3.7 adventure didn't happen due to some personal complications..

I have something else in the mix that has me very excited.. will disclose once it's confirmed

heres a hint- they dip down to 1 ohm!!

looks great!

thanks

so the Kappa 9s I picked up I actually ended up selling to a friend who goes through a lot of equipment &speakers himself- needless to say he owes me one and when the opportunity presents itself I will cash in

other than that I've just been enjoying the music, going to take tomorrow to redo all my DSP/REW

thanks @silver knigh I am very happy with the sonic performance of the system

in other news.. my hifi has dropped on the priority list as the weather is getting nice (FINALLY)- which means working on my car and going to shows/meets/cruises all up and down the east coast

in the process of "thinning the herd" for racecar money.. I have too many expensive hobbies

Been using iRoc TDA1541 based DAC for past 2 months or so, its the king of smooth- I made the jump back to the internal differential pcm1704s.. talk about resolution.

I had forgot bass had this much definition and texture. crazy how much a source can change your entire system, it also confirms that you need gear in your system for at least a month before you can truly evaluate its performance, when I was going through different sources every other day the apparent differences were never this night and day

in other news.. having fun working on the car. the WRX got an IAG air oil operator along with TGV deletes, tial 44mm ewg w/ dump pipe, and a better TMIC. Retune this weekend. I also noticed some additional oil consumption hopefully the AOS will help with blowby.. a built block is imminent though, been at 310whp/330wtq for 50k miles!

vQY77JQ.jpg

GnQeQGp.jpg

got my scanspeak replacement woofers for the NHT 3.3s from madisound. they are quite firm, once spider loosens up they should go deeper and louder.. but immediate impression is VERY impressive

the bass remains tight and extremely clean down to low 20s...

NHT 3.3 horizontal bi amped
modded hafler P4000 200wpc for mids/highs
hafler P7000 350wpc for lows
van den hul MC magnum/AQ 4 speaker cable

PC foobar feeding pre/pro lossless thrugh a nuforce USB to SPDIF
Integra Research RDC 7.1 pre/pro
2 20amp dedicated lines with hubbel hospital outlets
panamax m5100ex power conditioner
mogami star quad XLR between pre/power
definitive tech powerfield 12

will update when I get my breeze audio U8 interface

kiLB6QD.jpg

xsvRVWY.jpg
Are those KLH 9's I see in the background?

coerced bunch of friends with smoked meat & alcohol to help me move everything and paint my listening room.. talk about overdue. should be done within 2 weeks

other than that I've been enjoying the dbx active xover implemented in my system. will do some more room DSP this week

my partial trade with cash on top didn't pan out for the Harbeths.. such a bummer I think the P3ESRs would have been beyond refreshing

In other new-I am really becoming a fan of this 9505. Something is so right about the midrange, it may be a tad bit forward but just seems so organic. The krell has the resolution but borders on clinical vs the 9505. Both excel at driving the 3.3s in full range, bass is tighter on the krell but I use subwoofers to augment low end so it's not a deal breaker

I think tonight I will biamp with both try the 9505 up top and krell for the lows

Back
Top Bottom