Pioneer Tuner Help

Ballbag82

Hi all,

So recently I purchased a Pioneer Hifi System, one from the early 90's I think (DC Z91 Model). Everything works perfect on it, well at the start it did anyways. The tuner deck was working fine, receiving stereo fm radio for a couple of days but then all of a sudden it wouldn't pick up a single station. I have checked the aerial, moved the tuner to various parts of the room but with no luck. Any ideas as to why it would just suddenly stop receiving signal? I have searched the web for a service manual for it (Model is Pioneer F-Z91L) but I can only find a user manual. I've tried everything so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

Any ideas as to why it would just suddenly stop receiving signal?
Near impossible to say without testing it out on the bench.
No schematic, very difficult to figure out what went wrong. Did you try hifiengine, I do not see F-Z91L. It is a high end digital tuner, oh boy lots of fun and good luck. If you are lucky it might be something simple like a ecap, but where, there are probably lots of them, check the power supplies to begin with.

Lots of questions come to mind. This seems to be a cheapie system that Pioneer came out with 20 years ago. I doubt you will find a schematic for that tuner. How much did you invest in this? You may be better off finding a replacement tuner.

It really does not matter what you buy, if it is from the 90's or earlier, it could fail at any time, do to any one of a number of reasons. All of them are crap shoots. The more complicated they are, the more parts there are to fail, simple reliability engineering permutations.
I do agree that the older analog tuners are more reliable than the electronically tuned ones, due to what I have said above.

I disagree with your failure statement. I have purchased audio equipment for the past forty years. In that time I have had relatively few failures. No more than 2 or 3. Electronics are made to last in my estimation, no matter how complicated the circuitry may be.

Mamrak1, Don't jinx yourself. Count your blessings that you only have had 2-3 failures so far. We can go into a long discussion on electronics component reliability, but it is OT here, there are many factors involved, but that is not helping this guy fix his broken unit. Your advise does nothing to help him fix his tuner and I can not help him either as it requires someone to service the unit or as you suggest, junk it and buy another one. Make some recommendations for the guy at least.

Mamrak1, Don't jinx yourself. Count your blessings that you only have had 2-3 failures so far. We can go into a long discussion on electronics component reliability, but it is OT here, there are many factors involved, but that is not helping this guy fix his broken unit. Your advise does nothing to help him fix his tuner and I can not help him either as it requires someone to service the unit or as you suggest, junk it and buy another one. Make some recommendations for the guy at least.
As I read your previous post, I see no recommendations at all. None whatsoever. So I wonder why you berate me?? You gave an opinion, nothing more.

If you had read my comments more carefully, I told the poster to look for a different tuner. There are thousands of analog tuners in the market place.
Reliable ones as well.

Near impossible to say without testing it out on the bench.
No schematic, very difficult to figure out what went wrong. Did you try hifiengine, I do not see F-Z91L. It is a high end digital tuner, oh boy lots of fun and good luck. If you are lucky it might be something simple like a ecap, but where, there are probably lots of them, check the power supplies to begin with.

Thanks for the reply. Yea I had a look on hifiengine but nothing there. Just thought I'd try on here is all.

Lots of questions come to mind. This seems to be a cheapie system that Pioneer came out with 20 years ago. I doubt you will find a schematic for that tuner. How much did you invest in this? You may be better off finding a replacement tuner.

Fortunately I bought the whole system for €50 which I thought was a bargain, and still is. There is a separate digital tuner on ebay for €20 which I might consider buying. It would just be a shame to have a system without a working tuner.

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it :)

I do have another query, more like a curiosity.

I have a Pioneer F Z92L unit as well, just lying around. I know it doesn't work with my current system but I am wondering is there any way to convert the ribbon cable into a separate power cable and separate audio cables? Is it even possible?

$_1.JPG

I do have another query, more like a curiosity.

I have a Pioneer F Z92L unit as well, just lying around. I know it doesn't work with my current system but I am wondering is there any way to convert the ribbon cable into a separate power cable and separate audio cables? Is it even possible?

$_1.JPG
The amount of time and effort it would take would probably not be worth it. Besides, this is another piece of equipment without a schematic. Probably better to just buy a proper working tuner and be done with it.

The amount of time and effort it would take would probably not be worth it. Besides, this is another piece of equipment without a schematic. Probably better to just buy a proper working tuner and be done with it.

Thought as much, thanks for the reply though. I'll be looking to get my hands on a new one :)

Back
Top Bottom