I continue to collect Vintage CD Players: Sony CDP 302

I have a Sony cdp302 and I've always thought it is one of the most attractive vintage players out there. Heavy well built full of features . The window in the drawer to watch the disc turn is a nice touch. I've collected a few vintage cd players over the years a pioneer P-D70 , and a marantz cd-74 . The cd-74 is built like a tank and has to weigh 25+ pounds . Just picked up a not as vintage Harmon kardon fl -8380 another beautifully styled 5 disc deck .

I tend to pass on most Sony audio gear even though I know they are perfectly capable of making great stuff if they want.

There are so many mediocre or downright crappy Sony speakers out there that I was really surprised when I picked up my SS-K90ED speakers last year.

Now when I find a Sony stereo I give it a serious look before making a decision.

Yea I know the feeling. Sony usually is nothing special, but like others, they do have some great stuff if you know what you are looking for.

Kind Regards,
John

I used it for a week or so then sold it.
Nothing wrong with it I just have to many decks and needed cash for the holidays.
It all worked out in the end.

Dear All,

I have a Sony CDP-620es II that I am giving away. (Picture attached.) It is in perfect physical shape. The drawer needs some lubrication but is working. And for some reason after about an hour or more of play it starts to skip. I don't have the resources to work on it and I would hate to eWaste this excellent machine. If anyone wants it, I would be willing to take it to the local UPS store. Then you would call the store and give them your address and pay them to pack and ship it.

Best Regards
rws70 (California)

Contact Info:
rws70 at yahoo dot com

Attachments

• sony.jpg
    sony.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 72
Some nice CDPs here - I'd like to add my CDP-203ES that I found on an auction site recently with a tray refusing to open / close. A few dollars and a belt later, it's singing again. Came boxed, with manuals and remote - think I paid $30 for it.

545117080.jpg

Markoneswift,

What method/materials did you use to lube the relevant parts of the tray door?

Many Thanks and enjoy your player!

i just sprung for a 302, 2 b delivered.
hope it is good as yall say.
am i gonna have to do all the mods cizeta did to get good audio.?
or does it come built in?
has all new belts put in and is in very good cond.

I like that! Ordered a remote for the Cdp -302, It cost more than the player. Smh. But it was worth it.

You could get a philips univeral remote for 14 bucks at walmart. The very first code I punched in made it work.

I too have a 302. Greased the rails, cleaned the lens, and it fired right up. A tad grainy on the high end, but so very buttery smooth on the loading and tracking.

I wish I could make a digital out for mine, I'd use it exclusively.

Be sure to check Dr*Audio's thread about cd player repair. He has helped me save nearly 90% of the ones I bring home.

You could get a philips univeral remote for 14 bucks at walmart. The very first code I punched in made it work.

I too have a 302. Greased the rails, cleaned the lens, and it fired right up. A tad grainy on the high end, but so very buttery smooth on the loading and tracking.

I wish I could make a digital out for mine, I'd use it exclusively.
No grainy high's for me with this player ( mine) Just recently paired it with a H/K 330C & Dynaco A25's Wow!!! great synergy with this trio

Sony 302 update:
Got the ebay sony 302 cdp few days ago.
Thanks to all the accolades on it by
all sony lovers here, I am just so happy with it.
It sounds so amazing even with a single dac.
1 complaint: no on/off on remote.
My Onkyo 7030 now has competition.
And my DacMagic system on a pioneer 100 disc carosel.
But the 302 has mare pazzaz in looks and action, in addition to the SQ
which is really goood. Tray and disc read speed are amazing.
Next will have opportunity to hear a 337 of a friends and I can buy if i want.
I want.
I want more sony cdps.

Last edited:
should I persue any upgrades or leave as is?
It sounds so good as is and wonder how much % improvement can be achieved.
your thoughts please.
thanks

should I persue any upgrades or leave as is?
It sounds so good as is and wonder how much % improvement can be achieved.
your thoughts please.
thanks

I once read of someone who replaced all 43 or some odd caps, said it made a significant difference.

However, I'd just enjoy it for what it is. T'is what I'm doing with my own.

thanks james. a blanket cap replacement is not exactly on my should do list.
Besides it too new to me to do it. its really a nice unit.

One thing I really believe in, and techs, feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Won't be the first time.

I let mine stay on for about 4 or 5 days when I first got it. Let the voltage and electrons move about. Sure seemed to fix a few issues. And if that tray comes out and IMMEDIATELY goes back in, there's a little switch that needs a heavy shot of deoxit. I have fixed several that way. Seems Dr*Audio's cd repair thread mentions this, can't remember.

Well being a died in the wool tech mysef, I can say it wont do any harm.
this stuf and gobs of other electronic equipment is turned on at day 1 and never turned off
till the magic smoke comes out 20 yrs later.
anything sitting for some yrs will be shaken out of its slumber kwikly if anything has become ill in that time
or any other time. Or maybe not. but thats ok too.
Bottomline is continue what you R doing james
and enjoy this most enjoyable pastime of audio and misic listening..

Thanks, ferninando. If you are capable, and it sounds like you are, why not go ahead and get those caps and redo that Sony you're liking so much?

Good luck, whatever you decide.

too many projects rite now to do it. Next yr maybe.
Did a search for the 302 and saw one where many caps were replaced. mite have been cizetas.
For now I'll just enjoy the dickins out of it.
The pre owner did replace belts but dont know which ones, and it is in really excellent
cosmetic cond. Looks new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom