best budget CD player?

mhjmhjones

I have a Marantz 5-disk carousel player and have heard the carousel players don't have as good of a DAC (I think that's what I was told).

I'm starting to think about an upgrade. Used CD players are fine too.

Thanks!

I have the Onkyo 7030 and it is a winner IMO.
Has all the SQ we all cherish and want. At a very reasonable price new . Used ??
I am very glad I added it to my system as it has become my CDP of choice.
I always know I will enjoy the listening experience when I use it.
Definately worth checking out.
PS: GW out here has turned into a used clothes store for women.
Stay away. All the other stuff is gone.

Check out Salvation Army - Goodwill.

I picked up a Sony single cd player for $5 from early 90's. Made sure it worked before I bought it.

Still going strong.

IMG_2016.JPG $10

IMG_2017.JPG

$10 each and both run flawlessly.

I think the Integra sounds better but the Teac sets up nicely to play MP3's.

Newer units seem to have better dacs to me but not sure if that's a fact.

I don't listen to many CD's these days so I'm certainly no 'X' spurt...

I have a Marantz 5-disk carousel player and have heard the carousel players don't have as good of a DAC (I think that's what I was told).

I'm starting to think about an upgrade. Used CD players are fine too.

Thanks!
I like my Tascam CD-200 very much.

I use a DacMagic on my Pioneer 100 disc carosel with tarific improvement in SQ.
Lots more clarity and detail. Vocals revealed the different singers. much better.
Improvement in soundstage.

Last edited:
The Onkyo C 7030 is leagues ahead of any player in its price range.....

The dynamic range of frequencies and detail is more than you will expect. Then if all equipment used has the same S/N ratios as the 7030 the sound will be even greater.

How would this set-up work? Can I use a separate DAC for multiple inputs?

Depends on the DAC, but yes, you could use it for multiple inputs. My DAC has an input for optical, coaxial, and USB, and has a built-in headphone amp as well. I have an older Denon CD player, and a Sonos Connect linked to it. It is then connected via RCAs to my receiver aux input. The DAC was ~$200.00, which I would consider 'budget'.

I assume that your Marantz has an optical output, so you could use it as a transport, and have the flexibility of a carousel.

The Onkyo C 7030 is leagues ahead of any player in its price range.....

The dynamic range of frequencies and detail is more than you will expect. Then if all equipment used has the same S/N ratios as the 7030 the sound will be even greater.

All U say is true.
I know I sure do like mine and it matches well with the rest of my gear like U say.
A real sweety IMO.

All U say is true.
I know I sure do like mine and it matches well with the rest of my gear like U say.
A real sweety IMO.

Yep....

They don't know what they are missing......this player is a real Giant Killer, I'll bet it's the David that can beat any Goliath high dollar player. So many of the high dollar players have overly exaggerated frequencies just like the old Lazer Disc players.

Enjoy....

The original Rega Apollo was the first CD player I really liked. They go for about $400 used. But, CD players being what they are, a $5 thrift store score or a free scrounged one will get you 90% of the way there. That said, my Marantz SA-15s2 is my favorite, and won't be replaced.

How old is your Marantz? My CD5001 was OK I guess, but I bet the newer budget ones sound better. New Marantz stuff sounds pretty good to me.

Back
Top Bottom