Happened on a horribly abused looking 2250b

freQ(*)Oddio

Ive had some old 18" pa subs for sale, I was contacted through a mutual friend and negotiated a $400 sale price , then he asked if I would take a stereo trade , I said maybe partial trade for a turntable, so he sends me a picture of a realistic all in one plastic combo cass/ radio/record player. I said ummm no that's ok, I only need a separate turntable, so he sends me a pic of this 2250b Marantz playing in his garage, I said ok, we are on the right track now., and pre outs also are a big deal to me. So I give a bunch of questions and he sends a video of it with both channels working, sounds decent on video, has some dial lamps out and needs serious cosmetic attention. Those stickers are killing me I have to rescue this thing. I gave him 100 then ended up at $125 credit toward my subs. She will be delivered this weekend cant wait to get the facelift done and check it over . ill post before and after.

Hard to imagine Mr. Steely Dan :thumbsup: Gonna be a pain to get the glue residue off that dial face. Hard to imagine someone would apply decals to any stereo, regardless of vintage quality or not!

The glue residues can be a real pita....and be careful of what chemical you use !
Good luck ! :lurk:
Removing the stickers on the plastic dial will be touchy, I hope that football helmet sticker is not hiding a big crack hahah, I may just drop the entire face in a dish of hot water and soap for a night to loosen things up first.

Hard to imagine Mr. Steely Dan :thumbsup: Gonna be a pain to get the glue residue off that dial face. Hard to imagine someone would apply decals to any stereo, regardless of vintage quality or not!
I have never seen one like this , hiding the amazing face of a Marantz with stickers, unless they are covering some major blemishes? You picked up on the Steely Dan lyrics! cool you are 1st one that has my friend!

Hi, some time ago , I had a Marantz receiver ( I don't remember the model) that I bought in a thrift store, it has several stickers like your receiver. I used Gojo and it was pretty easy take off and didn't happened any damaged in the faceplate and dial glass.
Regards.

Hi, some time ago , I had a Marantz receiver ( I don't remember the model) that I bought in a thrift store, it has several stickers like your receiver. I used Gojo and it was pretty easy take off and didn't happened any damaged in the faceplate and dial glass.
Regards.
was wondering if gojo was plastic safe thanks , ill use that

Use lighter fluid (for BBQ) to get the sticker residue off. It does a great job and is gentile enough to use on paper without leaving a mark. Test it on a remote corner of your dial face but I'm sure it won't hurt it.

Mike

I use Goo Gone on the paint of my Corvette with no damage. I'll bet it wouldn't hurt that plastic and everbody knows how well it melts that gooey stuff. But like above -- test it first.

17199023_808242485999021_641270273_n.jpg 17204185_808242622665674_239025354_n.jpg Well I just picked up the "race car receiver" and there is a bent corner ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!. The only thing that cant be repaired....there goes my great deal hahaha. If it checks out ok when I get home, it may be worth finding a used face.

View attachment 883565 View attachment 883566 Well I just picked up the "race car receiver" and there is a bent corner ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!. The only thing that cant be repaired....there goes my great deal hahaha. If it checks out ok when I get home, it may be worth finding a used face.
Very convenient how that part of the unit was missing from the original photo. IMO, simply because I cannot deal with a bent face, a replacement would be secured and the stress from contemplating removal of decals - eliminated! ;)

Back
Top Bottom