Rarities

Trunk Repress, Stereo and Mono?
From left to right
First press non butcher cover stereo <mint in shrink>
First press 2nd state Butchers Mono
First press 2nd state Butchers Mono <this one is so mint it looks fake, but real, still in shrink>

go ahead and get into that storage unit, Mystic-- i'll be waiting!

If I ever get back into my storage bin, I'll check the "Gs" for this one, pretty sure I have 2-3 copies of it, and send you one. If I ever get back into my storage bin. <sigh>

Rod Stewart ‎– Every Picture Tells A Story. Taiwan, 1971
Tailee ‎– TLA-6736

I've had this album for years and it may be the first time it's been played. I always thought it was some cheap knock off. It's not. The jacket is printed really weird. It looks like a bad photocopy wrapped completely outside and inside in something like shrink wrap. The record, surprisingly sounds pretty good.

Some old rocker brought this and a bunch of others from Taiwan to California. This is the only one I grabbed.

View attachment 882287

I picked up 3 copies of early Rolling Stones LP's from Taiwan, expecting them to be cheap knock-offs as well. I was very surprised at how good they sounded.

From left to right
First press non butcher cover stereo <mint in shrink>
First press 2nd state Butchers Mono
First press 2nd state Butchers Mono <this one is so mint it looks fake, but real, still in shrink>
Very nice! I found a Trunk in stereo, which initially I thought was 2nd state for a buck. Wishful thinking. There are so many versions it's hard to tell. I like the Beatles, but not enough to go searching for the 2nd state. It is nice when you accidentally come across one.

Last edited:
I picked up 3 copies of early Rolling Stones LP's from Taiwan, expecting them to be cheap knock-offs as well. I was very surprised at how good they sounded.
When I found the Rod Stewart album there were a bunch of other Taiwanese albums. I left them because they look so cheaply made. Another time, same Goodwill there was a pile of albums from Israel. I picked up couple from Ofra Haza. Have to admit, because she is nice looking and the albums looked like quality. Turns out she is quite popular and the music is good. What I find interesting is that these were someones collection and that they traveled thousands of miles to California.

What I find interesting is that these were someones collection and that they traveled thousands of miles to California.

We do have that going for us here and being close to a big metro area. I got pressings from Germany, UK, Finland, Spain, Japan, Netherlands, Mexico, and the list goes on. I do stay away from some countries though.

Oh that just reminded me of a couple crazy records I should post.

My mother survived Hiroshima. She spoke French and turned me onto Hank Williams. Imagine that after the war in Japan? I still listen to Hank. Good stuff.
Obviously I'm too young (43) to have heard Hank firsthand, but I made a friend who knew Don Helms, his steel guitar player. I thought he was blowing smoke to be honest; he had started attending the church I was at, a church of maybe 35 people on Sunday if you were lucky. He saw my Hank bumper sticker and started talking to me. When it was said and done, I wound up with not only a copy of the 2006 Steel Guitar Convention with Don calling him up on stage, but an unreleased radio recording of Hank, as well as very hard to find recordings of Hank as a teenager. They're pretty raw sounding, but I've uploaded those recordings to my YouTube page, ronreagan12.

My mother survived Hiroshima.

We do have that going for us here and being close to a big metro area. I got pressings from Germany, UK, Finland, Spain, Japan, Netherlands, Mexico, and the list goes on. I do stay away from some countries though.

Oh that just reminded me of a couple crazy records I should post.

Speaking of WWII, These came in the record store a couple months ago, had to have them as I'v never seen anything like them.

IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0847.JPG IMG_0848.JPG

Emma Veary - Here in This Enchanted Place, Volume 2, c.1977

Maui girl. I don't remember where I got this one, but it's in near mint condition and takes me back. Wonderful.

Emma-Veary_HereInThisEnchantedPlace.jpg

Thad Jones & Mel Lewis - Potpourri, 1974.

Jazz with a Big Band flavor. Original compositions and couple of covers of Stevie Wonder and Marian McPartland.

ThadJones-MelLewis_Potpourri.jpg

I don't know if any of these are rare, but seems like they could be. My avatar is a 3.75 ips reel of Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine by The Doors. Signed by Densmore at Gray Whale a couple years ago. I handed it to him to sign and he looked a bit startled, turned it over and looked at the back as if thinking, "what the hell is this?" The album is of course not rare, but the reel edition might be. Sounds pretty good.
rps20170309_203452.jpg
A Quarterflash promo. One of my favorite bands.
rps20170309_203336.jpg
Sonar 10.5 quad reel, The Bohemian French Horn.
rps20170309_202619.jpg
rps20170309_202548.jpg
Another quad reel, of Debussy piano by Natalie Ryshna.
rps20170309_203634.jpg
And finally, a rare Three Dog Night!
edited_1476670419791.jpg

I don't know if any of these are rare, but seems like they could be. My avatar is a 3.75 ips reel of Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine by The Doors. Signed by Densmore at Gray Whale a couple years ago. I handed it to him to sign and he looked a bit startled, turned it over and looked at the back as if thinking, "what the hell is this?" The album is of course not rare, but the reel edition might be. Sounds pretty good.
View attachment 884469
A Quarterflash promo. One of my favorite bands.
View attachment 884471
Sonar 10.5 quad reel, The Bohemian French Horn.
View attachment 884472
View attachment 884474
Another quad reel, of Debussy piano by Natalie Ryshna.
View attachment 884475
And finally, a rare Three Dog Night!
View attachment 884477
Wow... those are pretty cool.

Back
Top Bottom