Spotify Lossless?

uofmtiger

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
The Verge is reporting that Spotify will soon have a lossless tier:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/1/14776780/spotify-hi-fi-preparing-launch-lossless-audio-tier

They have shown prices ranging from $5 to $10 more than the regular service. I am curious if any Tidal users are planning to move over to Spotify or if MQA or other considerations will keep you where you are? Also, if you are on Spotify already, how much more would you pay to get lossless?

I use Apple Music, but it would be a much easier move to Spotify than Tidal for my needs. I have Spotify built into numerous devices that I already own (Echos, Yamaha streamer, Denon receiver, etc.). The big issue for me is the fact that Spotify doesn't work with Siri, which would be a huge headache, but I am happy to see that Spotify is adding lossless because it will put some pressure on Apple to add a lossless tier.

Tidal user ... was with Spotify Paid for 18 months ... I liked the service.

Switched to Tidal for the Military discount price of $6 per month ... 320kbps AAC ... sounds :music: to me .... switch? :no:
I can upgrade to Tidal lossless for another $6 ... would cost $12 per month. As long as that's in play ... not going anywhere.

Watching MQA developments with interest. Might upgrade this year.

If no discount were in place ... would I pay $20 per month for lossless :dunno: ... some months it would be a no brainer, while others it would be a waste ... life circumstances and such.

Last edited:
Will be watching for reviews when it comes out. I canceled Spotify Premium since I have XM and Tidal lossless.... I just cant see 3 paid subscriptions. Thanks for the heads up!

Will be watching for reviews when it comes out. I canceled Spotify Premium since I have XM and Tidal lossless.... I just cant see 3 paid subscriptions. Thanks for the heads up!
Will be interesting to see if they can roll all of their albums out at the same time. If I remember correctly, when they updated to 320k, it took forever for them to convert everything. Of course, this is an additional tier versus a full system upgrade, so they will probably handle it differently.

... would I pay $20 per month for lossless :dunno: ... some months it would be a no brainer, while others it would be a waste ... life circumstances and such.
Alas I struggle with this decision too. I have a Tidal HIFi subscription but I'm "testing" myself by setting the playback to High to see if I really need to spend the extra $10 (plus their goofy international payment "fee").

I used Spotify premium for about a year...switched to Tidal a few months back. I'd be interested to see if Spotify launches it everywhere. I would give it a shot. There were some things I liked better about Spotify. I'm not crazy about the Tidal "artist radio" feature. The algorithm they use is hit or miss for me. Sometimes I have no idea why I am listening to certain songs if I pick Van Morrison for example. Sometimes I have to keep re-hitting Artist Radio till it starts playing relevant music

I have had Spotify since it was in beta in the US. I have Tidal HiFi for $10 a month via student discount but I would drop it in a heart beat if Spotify upgrades to lossless.

Rocky I listened to Tidal " high" for a month before I realized it should be set to HIFI, couldn't and still cant tell the difference....
You probably aren't the only one. I am hoping that the streaming services eventually just use lossless and it becomes their main ~$10 tier. Only audiophiles are going to pay double for the difference between 320k and lossless. Of course, Spotify is probably trying to put more pressure on Tidal and this will help them do that.

Until they start paying more royalties to artists, I see no reason to leave my current service. Spotify only pays about $0.003 per play, while Apple and Tidal pay about $0.01 per play. None of the services pay enough in my estimation, but all things being equal, I'll continue my Apple Music subscription.

Spotify has done nothing with this for almost 5 years, the smart money says they never will. The simple fact is the vast majority of spotify users listen as background on their phone or smart speaker, and care not for lossless, so the cost to Spotify simply isn't worth it.

If you want lossless, Tidal costs pretty much the same and offers CD or higher quality, depending on your plan.

Back
Top Bottom