Zerodust vs Magic Eraser

Magic Eraser vs Zerodust (or Equivalent) vs Liquids

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I use ME on my Stanton 681SE...ice started using it on my new Ortofon 2m black....light dip 2 or 3 times never a problem....I want to try moongel as a secondary......is it as good as zerodust? Elusive and musicdirect have zerodust for $39 reg $68.....but moongel $6.99......

If
I use ME on my Stanton 681SE...ive started using it on my new Ortofon 2m black....light dip 2 or 3 times never a problem....I want to try moongel as a secondary......is it as good as zerodust? Elusive and music direct have zerodust for $39 reg $68.....but moongel is $6.99....i would much rather but a new record with the $30 difference between moongel and zerodust...btw....in 3 years, I have never read a horror story concerning " dipping" the stylus onto a magic eraser......I ultrasonically clean my vinyl and then vpi 16.5 clean it first so my only real concern is that funky dust that you see floating in the air when the light shines through your window...I'm pretty sure moongel and a ME dip will take care of that....

Recently switched from Extreme Stylus cleaner to Zerodust; the Extreme was fine, however the case was absolute torture to work with (nearly impossible to open). When in a semi-closed position (to kill the wrestling aspect) it leaked.

So when Zerodust lowered the price to the same for the Extreme, I jumped ship and it's been excellent (thus far).

Moongel has gone up in price since this thread was started:idea:.
Was $4.99 when I bought it.
I ordered some on eBay last night for $5 and change with free delivery.....the cantilever on my Ortofon 2m black is so much thinner than in the Stanton 681SE that I am more concerned using the ME.....I think I'll keep using it but with a much more delicate touch

Been a magic eraser man for a year or two. But I've noticed that m.e. can start to break down and leave crumbles on the cantilever. A new piece will rectify this but;
I bought a pack of moongel from the local instrument shop and I can report excellent results.
I don't leave it out on the plinth like m.e. so it takes a little bit of time to use but it works great.

As a general warning, I have read an experience where the liquid from Moongel moved up a cantilever and encrusted and damaged the inner workings of a moving coil cartridge. It was supposedly unrepairable. Given that story, I think I will stick with Zerodust and not chance it. Not sure it concerns others but for myself I am going to take the safest approach I can.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
As a general warning, I have read an experience where the liquid from Moongel moved up a cantilever and encrusted and damaged the inner workings of a moving coil cartridge. It was supposedly unrepairable. Given that story, I think I will stick with Zerodust and not chance it. Not sure it concerns othersm but for myself I am going to take the safest approach I can.

Regards
Mister Pig
This would be the first negative result from using moongel that I've read......it seems that ME , Moongel and zerodust are generally safe if not used incorrectly like pushing the cantilever and stylus into any of these options.....I think if just the natural weight of the cartridge is used you should be ok in 99.99% of the time.....I mean there are always exceptions to the rule but that's life.....

As a general warning, I have read an experience where the liquid from Moongel moved up a cantilever and encrusted and damaged the inner workings of a moving coil cartridge. It was supposedly unrepairable. Given that story, I think I will stick with Zerodust and not chance it. Not sure it concerns othersm but for myself I am going to take the safest approach I can.

Regards
Mister Pig

I can confirm this report and can provide details if needed. Basically the diamond went missing and it was thought that the moongel caused it. Oils were found on the cantilever.

That being said, I don't have the best stylus, a m91ed Jico SAS. I haven't had any issues with moongel whatsoever after a few years. I regularly check my stylus using microscope. No oils.

If you think about this logically.....the ME should scrape the large stuff off or loosen it and then a follow up with the gel should retain any micro particles....I use the word scrape for the lack of a gentler, kinder word.....it's too bad that there wasn't a way to simply blast a regulated amount of air at the tip after each use to remove 1 album side worth of dust....I think this would work if you always played clean records as dust on its own is less clingy than crud

I certainly don't use Zerodust or Magic Eraser on records. As for audio components, I keep them covered when not in use. So, any needed cleaning is done by a simple dusting.

If you think about this logically.....the ME should scrape the large stuff off or loosen it and then a follow up with the gel should retain any micro particles....I use the word scrape for the lack of a gentler, kinder word.....it's too bad that there wasn't a way to simply blast a regulated amount of air at the tip after each use to remove 1 album side worth of dust....I think this would work if you always played clean records as dust on its own is less clingy than crud
The less physical contact the better

I certainly don't use Zerodust or Magic Eraser on records. As for audio components, I keep them covered when not in use. So, any needed cleaning is done by a simple dusting.

People arent using it to clean audio components. But as a stylus cleaner.

Regards
Mister Pig

We are talking about stylus cleaning.......I would only use magic eraser on say a bay city rollers or Eddie Arnold record to erase the music :banana:

I can confirm this report and can provide details if needed. Basically the diamond went missing and it was thought that the moongel caused it. Oils were found on the cantilever.

That being said, I don't have the best stylus, a m91ed Jico SAS. I haven't had any issues with moongel whatsoever after a few years. I regularly check my stylus using microscope. No oils.
So the oils could have been from an earlier cleaning fluid that that person might have used? Which may in fact have loosened the diamond over time? and the moongel was what pulled it loose.....just a hypothesis

Back
Top Bottom