Jazz Fusion Playlist

801 (band) sometimes called THE 801

phil manzanera - gtr
brian eno - keys, synths, gtr, voc, tape
bill maccormick - bass, voc
francis monkman - fender rhodes, clav
simon phillips - drms, rhythm gen
lloyd watson - slide gtr, voc

band only played 3 live shows which appeared on 4 live albums, and then 1 studio album.

This one has it's moments interspersed with odd parts, but deserves a full listen 45 minutes as the playing is excellent here on this live album here in full.

After brief intro song, it jumps into jazz fusion cover of Beatles TNK - Tomorrow Never Knows. 12 trax. Intriguing in spots. On some odd songs (few voc trax), fusion parts interject as either just verse or chorus only & back again. Hey, we also heard vocs like these on some Jan Hammer Group lp's so who's to judge ?!?

Obvious Roxy Music basis here (see lineup), Phillips propels it into some fine fusion areas. Keys are involved, yet backseated to some unusually different guitar playing. The album content spans so much varied conceptual ideas start to finish as a melding blend of jazz-fusion/prog/rock resulting in "fusion". style.

Fair warning to the Kinks cover of You Really Got Me, 2nd next to last track (it's no VH version, had to put the Fair Warning VH pun in), but Eno & Phillips spin it to pass. Album ends with a fusion-type song. All said, it's really different & a cool listen just out of interest & curiousity.

Last edited:
Corea, Clarke, and White - Forever (Disc 1)

upload_2017-3-5_14-7-45.png
Source: HP dc7600 Small Form Factor PC
Player: Winamp 2.95 with 250+ band Equalizer v1.62 for Winamp by Nevi
DAC: Audioquest DragonFly v1.2
Preamplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. PT5
Amplifier: B&K Components, Ltd. ST125.2
Speakers: KLH 9250B

Guitar Fire! - Gold Encore Series, 1993.

Larry Carlton - Smiles And Smiles To Go
Acoustic Alchemy - Take Five
Dave Grusin, Lee Ritenour - Early A.M. Attitude
The Rippingtons, Russ Freeman (2) - Affair In San Miguel
Special EFX, Chieli Minucci, George Jinda - Jamaica, Jamaica
Gary Burton - The Chief
Rene Toledo - South Beat
Kevin Eubanks - Essence
Larry Carlton, B.B. King - Blues For Tj

Guitar-Fire!_Gold-Encore-Series.jpg

Herbie Hancock - Mr. Hands

upload_2017-3-7_13-12-46.png

phil manzanera - gtr

band only played 3 live shows which appeared on 4 live albums, and then 1 studio album.

This one has it's moments interspersed with odd parts, but deserves a full listen 45 minutes as the playing is excellent here on this live album here in full.

After brief intro song, it jumps into jazz fusion cover of Beatles TNK - Tomorrow Never Knows. 12 trax. Intriguing in spots. On some odd songs (few voc trax), fusion parts interject as either just verse or chorus only & back again. Hey, we also heard vocs like these on some Jan Hammer Group lp's so who's to judge ?!?

Obvious Roxy Music basis here (see lineup), Phillips propels it into some fine fusion areas. Keys are involved, yet backseated to some unusually different guitar playing. The album content spans so much varied conceptual ideas start to finish as a melding blend of jazz-fusion/prog/rock resulting in "fusion". style.

Fair warning to the Kinks cover of You Really Got Me, 2nd next to last track (it's no VH version, had to put the Fair Warning VH pun in), but Eno & Phillips spin it to pass. Album ends with a fusion-type song. All said, it's really different & a cool listen just out of interest & curiousity.

Excellent Review LM!! :beerchug:

I like this album a lot and still spin it regularly. Not a perfect album but a great one-off cult classic. Bands / albums like this in the late 70's were doomed when music began transitioning in other directions away from progressive/experimental which was unfortunate but inevitable. I'll have to pull it out again soon.

Hey there Lar!! Guru Guru is my favorite Krautrock band. I live for the "UFO" and "Känguru" albums!!

Love this video . . .

-----

Funny I missed these guys back in the day. Youtube is great for discovering new music, even if it's old new music. ;)

Have just built a new shelf for my jazz and jazz fusion records downstairs. Ran out of room in my upstairs cabinet.

Nektar was probably my favorite Krautrock band. Not as jazzy as Guru Guru though.

Will check out their UFO and Klanguru discs!

phil manzanera - gtr

---------------

Love 801, K-Scope is good as well. Diamond Head is one of my all time favorites of that era.

Casiopea - Marble

upload_2017-3-9_20-35-19.png

Excellent Review LM!! :beerchug:

I like this album a lot and still spin it regularly. Not a perfect album but a great one-off cult classic. Bands / albums like this in the late 70's were doomed when music began transitioning in other directions away from progressive/experimental which was unfortunate but inevitable. I'll have to pull it out again soon.

Thanks CB !

1st time I heard it. So cool it's in your collection.

Might have been 1 of the earliest S.Phillips recordings at 19 y.o. after doing pit orchestra for Jesus Christ Superstar (UK show I recall, not USA).

Phil M. really has a unique style.

Good point about how progressive the scene was back then & how all strived to sound different rather than the same.

We could blindfold listen & know right away who the band/artist was. Being different challenged them all to work harder to have their own "sound".

The A & R guys from the hugh labels were all looking for something unique, something new.

Funny how today they mostly look for the same formula, same trend to make a quick buck & move on to the next fad.

The glory days were the best !

---------------

Love 801, K-Scope is good as well. Diamond Head is one of my all time favorites of that era.

Hey thanks ! Just listened to those on youtube & never heard them before.

Great stuff and very enjoyable.

You're right about youtube, we are finding very obscure videos & audio of music performances easily, and there is so much to find there.

It's really cool we all have access to it, some stuff is legendary and glad it's archived.

Casiopea - Main Gate

upload_2017-3-10_8-50-58.png

Thanks CB !

1st time I heard it. So cool it's in your collection.

Might have been 1 of the earliest S.Phillips recordings at 19 y.o. after doing pit orchestra for Jesus Christ Superstar (UK show I recall, not USA).

Phil M. really has a unique style.

Good point about how progressive the scene was back then & how all strived to sound different rather than the same.

We could blindfold listen & know right away who the band/artist was. Being different challenged them all to work harder to have their own "sound".

The A & R guys from the hugh labels were all looking for something unique, something new.

Funny how today they mostly look for the same formula, same trend to make a quick buck & move on to the next fad.

The glory days were the best !

I assumed you heard it many times or perhaps for the last 40 years! You have a great focus to able to listen and gather those thoughts upon first listen, well done brother!

Steve Khan ~ Evidence

Novus/Arista, 1980

This is a solo acoustic guitar album. Side 2 features all Thelonious Monk covers.

20170310_161404.jpg

Back
Top Bottom