1964 The Fisher Regent - to Buy or Not?

Man oh Man that's nice. Remember the days you could walk into your local Fisher dealer and just order exactly what you wanted?. Congrats! Al

I was able to check out a few things on the new toy out last night. Here is a brief summery:

The unit was in a flood at some point in it's life. I would say the water was about 4-6" deep. There are some mold spots on the inside of the speaker compartments, stains on the speaker cloth and some minor damage to the cabinet finish.
The power amp and the speakers seem to be working. I can plug my phone directly into the power amp and it plays plenty loud. The speakers sound was disappointing at first, but seemed to improve after about an hour or so.
The tuner seems to be working. I didn't explore this much - other than to verify it can receive and output a signal. BTW: I believe this is a R-200, not the FM200.

I have not been able to get any audio through the preamp. I did fine the pre is loaded with all Fisher branded tubes. 12AX7 made in West Germany and 7247s made in Great Britain.
Both the TT and the R2R have motors that will not spin.

More to come....

Last edited:
DROOLING over this treasure.

Sad to hear of possible water damage. One thing to do. Is recap the speaker crossovers.

Does this have the Presence and Brilliance adjustable pots on each speaker?

I like the fact that it actually has storage space in the cabinet, however, with the speaker doors in the open position it must take up a formidable amount of real estate. When I first saw my Executive, it was in a 2 car garage. When I got it in my house, I realized either it was too big or my house is too small...

It's truly gorgeous and I wish you nothing but the best with it...

DROOLING over this treasure.

Sad to hear of possible water damage. One thing to do. Is recap the speaker crossovers.

Does this have the Presence and Brilliance adjustable pots on each speaker?

I like the fact that it actually has storage space in the cabinet, however, with the speaker doors in the open position it must take up a formidable amount of real estate. When I first saw my Executive, it was in a 2 car garage. When I got it in my house, I realized either it was too big or my house is too small...

It's truly gorgeous and I wish you nothing but the best with it...

I don't think the water damage is sever enough to be a big deal.
There is a Brilliance adjustment for each speaker.
You do need to allocate 10' of wall space to be able to open the speaker doors.

Thanks,

Man, I'll be glad to take all those little issues off your hands, I'd even give you the full $280 even with all those issues.lol!

I have not been able to get any audio through the preamp. I did fine the pre is loaded with all Fisher branded tubes. 12AX7 made in West Germany and 7247s made in Great Britain.

Too bad! Really!! Listen, you can keep the tubes and I'll send you $281 for the piece of junk pre. Naw, make that an even $300 just because it's easier to type. Just let me know and I'll PM you my address.

;)

Too bad! Really!! Listen, you can keep the tubes and I'll send you $281 for the piece of junk pre. Naw, make that an even $300 just because it's easier to type. Just let me know and I'll PM you my address.

;)

Ok, sure.Tthanks for solving my problem. PM on the way - NOT.
BTW, I found the problem and now have some sweet sound playing through unit.

Personally, I'd like to see some photos of this beauty opened up. Catalog photos show it all closed. How's the grille material, etc...

I like that this has some storage. Mine has NONE. Thankfully they left a small space behind the tape recorder drawer where I fit the mpx. Otherwise, it'd be hanging out somewhere.

For as massive as these are, really every inch of real estate is utilized.

That setup is very similar to my '64 President. Unfortunately mine had its internals "updated" in the 70's and lost the pre, amp, spacexpander, ELAC turntable, and the remote part of the remote control. An early 2000's refurb lost the tape deck and got the woofers replaced. Mine now has only some of the original speaker drivers, the console portion of the remote assembly, and the tune-o-matic MF-300. It has a replacement Garrard turntable and a Fisher TX-2000 Integrated Amp (itself something of a rarity) so it actually works.

I have been able to acquire a replacement TA-900 amp, but don't know yet if it is functional. I'm looking to purchase the Preamp, but so far offerings are too expensive, even in need of a rebuild. The wireless remote is just tough to find. The Spacexpander is available on the Bay and elesewhere if I find everything else. I have a replacement ELAC turntable, but not the Fisher-specific version that originally went with the President.

Good luck with your Regent. These bigest consoles are getting extremely tough to find even close to intact. They all come with issues, but I believe they are well worth the effort to restore.

That setup is very similar to my '64 President. Unfortunately mine had its internals "updated" in the 70's and lost the pre, amp, spacexpander, ELAC turntable, and the remote part of the remote control.

It really is too bad about loosing the originals. Hopefully you'll be able to find all the replacements.
Mine, I am thrilled to report, appears to be all original! I still can't believe I found such a gem.
The President and the Regent are very similar with the President being 5" longer.
The preamp has the jack for a remote, but don't it came with one. Same for the Spacexpander.

I wasn't sure it came "loaded". I believe the President came with the remote but the reverb and WS1 speakers were extra. Don't know much about the Regent because they're so rare.

My understanding is that the K-10 Space Expander was an option on all models except the President. Hank, Look for some screw holes in a long narrow box configuration about 1/2 way down on the Right side speaker back panel. If so your's had a space expander.

Mine definitely had the Space Expander when new. It was removed when the preamp / amp was replaced by the integrated. Ironically, I had a couple of them years ago in organ tone cabinets, which I sold off since I had no use for them (never thought I would find a President in need of a replacement).

Personally, I'd like to see some photos of this beauty opened up. Catalog photos show it all closed. How's the grille material, etc...

I like that this has some storage. Mine has NONE. Thankfully they left a small space behind the tape recorder drawer where I fit the mpx. Otherwise, it'd be hanging out somewhere.

For as massive as these are, really every inch of real estate is utilized.

I spent a good part of this past weekend cleaning the unit and also did some quick-fix touch up work on the cabinet finish.
The Fisher Regent.jpg
All in all, I think it is looking pretty good!
You can see some more photos here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/kasanay/60yg6N

All I can say is DAMN!!!!! Looks like the WAF is definately GOOD! I'd love to see the underside of the TA-900. That is one SERIOUS AMP!

Back
Top Bottom