Pioneer SX 990 lights/bulbs replacement help.

danconway327

I have some bulbs out on my Pioneer SX 990. I do not want to replace them with LED's I just want to replace the stock bulbs. They say Stanley 8VO.25A on them. where can I get some of these? I would like to pick up some locally instead of ordering online and waiting a few days.

Anybody have any suggestions of where I could pick some up. I am near Tampa FL

Attachments

• 20170306_203648.jpg
    20170306_203648.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 25
well mcmaster carr has 10v and 7v in the style you indicate id probably go with the 10v one so as not to overload any thing. i used auto 12v wedge bulbs in an 880 which were a warm white in the 8 volt system.i expect the 10v items would be okay.

pioneer sx 990.jpg So I got the bulbs in and they are not working, but id did find out that there is a few dead outlets, the 3 on the right in this picture. Is there a fuse or something these are hooked to?

I also put "good" tested bulbs in and tried pushing in all of the buttons to see if they would light up and they wouldn't. I downlaoded the manuals off hifi engine but looks greek to me. thanks for any help.

there are 4 illumination lights and the are controlled by a 3 amp fuse. i dont own one of these im reading the schematic. the function lights are controlled by the input switch s1 they derive their power from the same fuse as the illumination lights, from your picture some lights are working so its not the fuse but as you dont say WHICH bulbs dont work all i can tell you is to de-oxit s1 , and all the rest while your at it including the lamp sockets.

there are 4 illumination lights and the are controlled by a 3 amp fuse. i dont own one of these im reading the schematic. the function lights are controlled by the input switch s1 they derive their power from the same fuse as the illumination lights, from your picture some lights are working so its not the fuse but as you dont say WHICH bulbs dont work all i can tell you is to de-oxit s1 , and all the rest while your at it including the lamp sockets.

Thanks for thevreply. It is the 3 sockets on the right that aren't working. Are all of the bulbs on the same fuse? I'm not good with schematics but I will look at what you posted and report back. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

as i dont own a 990 thats not much help. the illumination lights and the function lights all run off the same fuse. illumination lights are turned on when the power switch is armed. as you turn the s1 function switch (mode switch) it in turn puts power to the selected circuit ie phono, fm and am etc it also turns on the appropriate indicator light .as some lights work and the wiring is intact the most likely cause is corroded sockets and/or gang switch contacts. get some deoxit d5 and some d100 and some fader lube and do every switch and light socket in the set. i didnt look into the other lights too much but at first glance they all seem to get power from one fuse that is driven by one portion of the power transformer.DONT USE WD40 OR ANYTHING ELSE

i use d5 first cycle the switch 50 or sixty times the wiping action helps clean.i leave it sit after more d5 over night flush with d100 then if your problem goes away, lube with fader lube it very well may take more than one application.if you live near the ocean you might find yourself doing it more than that as a preventive maintenance measure. swabs and creativity will yield good results in the light sockets as well.deoxit stuff is pricey but it does work and do do all the switches while your at it. i dont know the style of them but push in switches can be done the same way by using a hypodermic syringe get a bunch they are useful and cant be reused much as deoxit swells the rubber seal bear in mind the contacts of the push in switches are on the bottom so the unit should be resting in a normal position

Ok so I replaced all of the bayonet bulbs as I was going along the ones that were working are still working, the ones that were not working are still not working. then I the replaced the fuse looking type bulbs on the bottom row and plugged it back in and nothing lights up :(OH NO WTH DID I DO? HELP!!!
!:eek2:

deoxit is a non conductor. there is ONLY 1 fuse 3 amp for the lights and a main power fuse which is 1amp. the 1 amp fuse powers the transformer after the master switch IF its like other pioneers the 1 amp fuse is in the back panel and if multi voltage is incorporated in the voltage selector jack. if you remove to check it make damn sure you observe the correct operating voltage for your area.when you reinstall the jack. im only dealing with the lighting circuit mind you. do you own a reasonable volt meter and know how to use it? check the 3 amp fuse and the 1 amp fuse. make sure the set is unplugged. do you have the 990 service manual? it should tell you how to check the main power fuse on fig. 1 on the first page after the cover page. its available on the audiokarma data base. dont panic if you find a BLOWN fuse DONT re power up until you make sure you didnt do anything while you were cleaning the switches and the sockets. as i said previously you may have to de oxit several times. the light circuit is 8 vac. reinspect all your cleaning areas and where ever you have been and LOOK closely for FOD (foreign object damage) if fuses appear good read them with an ohm meter rx1

Last edited:
Thanks John I will do that and report back tomorrow.. I got this thing in a million pieces, but it should be good. Thanks again.

You want fast acting. Think of slow blow fuses as having a time delay.

found this quote which says it better than i could.

"take a tube amp for example. When you first turn it on, you have to charge all the caps up during that first second when you first flip the power switch on. (unless you have a tube rec. The cathode has to heat up before the HV will flow) That initial inrush of current can and generally does exceed the rating of the fuse for a split second. With a fast acting fuse, this more than enough to pop it. Slo-blow fuses are designed to to allow for that inrush. Its only when the current draw steadily exceeds the slo-blow fuse rating that will cause it to blow."

So I replaced the fuse on the bottom that was bad. The other three were ok. But I still have no lights at all when I turn it on. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom