Vintage gear that makes you say "Wow"...

Great thread! Nice too see the gear, some of which passed through my living room at one time or another.

Interesting story about Bob Carver and the Phase Linear 700B and Carver M1.5t. I owned both of those amps at the same time and I noticed that the 700B would drive my Dahlquist DQ 10's louder than the M1.5t. I'm sure I was in college, so volume was important! I called up Carver Corp and asked for Bob. I got an answering machine. I left him a message about the descrepancy in volume between the two amplifiers. Low and behold, Bob calls me back! I wasn't home, but he recorded a message saying he also had both amplifiers and a set of DQ 10's in his living room and he had the same experience. IIRC, he said he wasn't sure why, and then went on to hype the M1.5t and that it would absolutely not not clip and that the 700B could be driven into clipping/distortion and that at those high levels, it may not be noticeable.

So that's my Bob Carver story. I still have the cassette tape from the machine with that and other messages.

I never had one of these, but I sure wanted a pair!

View attachment 883217
Cool story bro.

Last edited:
Wow everyone! Everything I see on here makes me drool!
I got my AU-11000 shortly after creating this thread but never got around to putting it on here. It makes me say wow every single time I look at it; and you can imagine what I say when I hear it. Such an amazing, and timeless piece of, dare I say it, art.

IMG_1408.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG

Wow everyone! Everything I see on here makes me drool!
I got my AU-11000 shortly after creating this thread but never got around to putting it on here. It makes me say wow every single time I look at it; and you can imagine what I say when I hear it. Such an amazing, and timeless piece of, dare I say it, art.

View attachment 884525
View attachment 884527
You may dare.The craftsmanship,inside and out are things of beauty.You can tell who made each receiver or amp right away.Today outside of some high end gear there's nothing like this.Consumer grade audio or mid-fi today is just a black plain box with a knob.Great piece BTW.

Yup!

Ic6HUy9.jpg

I too have a Fisher X202 and love it! I can drive Vandersteen 2ce Signatures with no problem. So sweet! I listen to "The Civil Wars" and Joy and John Paul with his Martin D0018 are right in my living room floating in front of and between the Vandersteens. I get goosebumps regularly. I also have owned the AR XA and later an AR XB turntables loved them too.

Back
Top Bottom