McIntosh c29 preamp mode selector issues

william13

That's not me
My system seems to work great except when I put the mode sector on the below setting:

L + R to L: Connects the left plus right program to
the left loudspeaker only

Then I hear nothing. Why?

I had a C-29 for over 30 years and other than having to clean the controls every couple of years and replacing the glass face plate due to a stupid move on my part I never had an issue with my C-29. It was quiet, clean, and an enjoyment. I had to buy a MP 100 to get my C-34 to match the phono section of the C-29. Plus I gained a MC input.

I had a C-29 for over 30 years and other than having to clean the controls every couple of years and replacing the glass face plate due to a stupid move on my part I never had an issue with my C-29. It was quiet, clean, and an enjoyment. I had to buy a MP 100 to get my C-34 to match the phono section of the C-29. Plus I gained a MC input.

I could not agree more. It is seriously quiet. I can turn volume all the way up on idle and not even a hiss out of my speakers. Maybe it just needs a cleaning. Seems like very few people on this forum ever had one. C28 seems more popular

Love my C29. I bought it from Tom Manley about five years ago so Terry brought it up to original specs. Beautiful preamp. You don't see many out there for sale. C28s are more plentiful.

The MAC4100 and C32 were clean sheet designs incorporating new parts and design concepts. I believe they were truely revolutionary in so many ways.

The C29 was a updated C28 in many ways that did use some of the new parts and designs from the 4100 and 32 but did not have that clean sheet feel for many previous Mac owners.

I would guess that the C32 outsold the C29 in our shop by a margin of 4 to 1, many C28 owners updated to a C32, I do not remember very many moving to a C29.

I would guess many more were sold to new Mac owners than previous Mac owners.

Many have remarked specifically about the quietness of the C29 phono section (and C28 for that matter) but at -80 dB, it specs the same as other McIntosh preamplifiers that receive no such comment. I've never been able to discover the reasons why.

The profiles of the C29 buyer versus that of the C32 as c_dk observes makes sense.

Last edited:
My only beef with the C29 is the non-sealed pots that require typical maintenance. I owned one for about 5 years and used it in my office system in my first two homes. It was paired with a Spectral DMA50 power amplifier and B&W DM580 speakers.

Back
Top Bottom