Mcintosh turntables

Thocom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Curious that I haven't seen anyone in this group with a Mcintosh Turntable? They are fairly expensive, is that the reason? Anyone have one?
They are a little "bright" looking, but otherwise have that MAC look.

I'm thinking about a new table, and didn't want to overlook Mcintosh. I am liking the look of some of the VPI tables though..

First I wouldn't choose the MT5 because of the cartridge selection and I wouldn't want a tt without an easy to use speed trim control. Next I prefer linear tracking tone arms. Plus I don't want the motor physically attached to the turntable if possible. Thats why my current TT only has a signal to noise of 65 db below 3,54 cm/sec. The MT10 has a meter, but I would rather have a digital read out, and again a from panel trim control and a linear tracking tone arm with a Dynavector cartridge. I imagine the Clear Audio/Mcintosh turntable preform very well, but they could be better. Lets put the phono pre-amp in the TT so we aren't constricted by short cables. And there are some accessories available from others that aren't available for the Mac TT, that should be.

While I'v bought things full retail like both my mc275 at the dealership, I do like to get a bargain and that's usually used. I also like versatility and building a table my way, don't think I'll ever buy a table locking me into anything, or one setup with a arm and cart. I also feel the SOTA decks are some of the best on the planet and have 4 of them now, as well as another 4 nice decks not even being used.

I wouldn't turn down either of the Mac offerings but since my disposable income has been disposed of I'll stick with what I have. :) I'm with twiiii on the linear arm. I have a Mitsubishi LT-30 I really like. It's, gasp a fully auto table that sold for 800.00 in 1980 so it wasn't a cheap TT. I originally bought it for the cartridge on it. Gave it a listen and it's still in the system.

Hell yeah I'd love to have an MT10. Even though I rarely play a record I'd love to have one just for that rare occasion and it could double as eye candy the rest of the time. My problem is I don't have a spare 10G to spend on something that won't get continuous use.

image.jpeg image.jpeg If I didn't already have a great turntable I would consider the McIntosh MT-5.

My current ( and probably last TT) is a Mitchell Gryo-Dec with the QC separate power supply. It was one of the last ones made with an A/C motor: Mitchell had to move to a D/C motor when the manufacturer of the A/C motor quit making it. Arm is a Rega RB300 and I mostly use a Shure V-15vMR cartridge. I bought it in England in the early 90's and it's been making wonderful music ever since. :music::banana::music::banana::music:

I don't know how good the MT10 is, however it is one of the most impressive looking turntables I have ever seen.

I have an MT-5 and am extremely pleased with it running through my MP-100 phono preamp/MX-121 preamp/MC7106 amplifier. I of course replaced the AWFUL cartridge (a Sumiko Blue Point No. 2 I think it was) on it with the ClearAudio Talismann II cartridge which is the same one that is supplied with the MT-10 (although it's relabeled as a McIntosh brand cartridge). I've also had a Shure V15 Type III with conical stylus on it as well as a Denon 103R cartridge. All of those cartridges performed beautifully with the MT-5's tonearm and, as I said, I've been extremely happy with it. The ability to play 78 RPM records was a big selling point for the MT-5. The MT-5 DOES have pitch control, but as twiii pointed out, it's very hard to use since it's on the back of the turntable. However, unless I'm messing with vintage 78's, I have had very little use for the speed control.

One REALLY stupid thing about the MT-10 is that it is NOT supplied with a dust cover. The MT-5 comes supplied with a matching dust cover.

I would recommend that you go listen to one at a McIntosh dealer (if they are willing to get one in-stock). They are quite expensive, but the MT-5 arm is very nice and is very easy to setup.

I have a VPI Prime in my setup with a SoundSmith cart. It is a great setup. I also considered the MT-5 and 10 but decided that for the purpose I was trying to fill the VPI was the way to go. Seemed to have a better support network and many available upgrades. It also did not come with a dust cover but the guys over at stereo squares set me up with a very nice one.

Curious that I haven't seen anyone in this group with a Mcintosh Turntable? They are fairly expensive, is that the reason? Anyone have one?
They are a little "bright" looking, but otherwise have that MAC look.

I'm thinking about a new table, and didn't want to overlook Mcintosh. I am liking the look of some of the VPI tables though..

I think you touched on it: Expensive item and vinyl generally not being nearly as popular the medium it had once been. And of course is not being linear tracking which is often the preference among the more dedicated vinyl crowd.

I don't know how good the MT10 is, however it is one of the most impressive looking turntables I have ever seen.
I think most expensive turntables are made to look sophisticated next to your Mac amp.

I gotta say, I find the looks off-putting. It feels contrived to me; That big blue meter screams "hey, look at my big blue meter" rather than "this is a tasteful and reliable way to check your platter speed." The comically thick platter with the green light? Come on, I don't smoke dope and drool at black light posters any more, I don't need a big expensive glow-toy. (I feel the same about the green-lit tubes) It's not just that I find it ugly, it's that to me it looks like the form came before the function, like a turntable was made to fit into certain design specs ("Hey, how can we get blue output meters on a thing that doesn't variable output?") rather than making an awesome turntable look better.

Just my $0.02

I wouldn't turn down either of the Mac offerings but since my disposable income has been disposed of I'll stick with what I have. :) I'm with twiiii on the linear arm. I have a Mitsubishi LT-30 I really like. It's, gasp a fully auto table that sold for 800.00 in 1980 so it wasn't a cheap TT. I originally bought it for the cartridge on it. Gave it a listen and it's still in the system.
Nothing at all wrong with a fully automatic tt MG. That's one sweet looking 'table!

I considered an MT5 for a long time ...

Last edited:
I gotta say, I find the looks off-putting. It feels contrived to me; That big blue meter screams "hey, look at my big blue meter" rather than "this is a tasteful and reliable way to check your platter speed." The comically thick platter with the green light? Come on, I don't smoke dope and drool at black light posters any more, I don't need a big expensive glow-toy. (I feel the same about the green-lit tubes) It's not just that I find it ugly, it's that to me it looks like the form came before the function, like a turntable was made to fit into certain design specs ("Hey, how can we get blue output meters on a thing that doesn't variable output?") rather than making an awesome turntable look better.

Just my $0.02
I'd have to agree with you to a certain point. That MT10 no doubt would look out of place with a receiver based system. Heck it would probably look out of place with my rig to but I'd sure like to find out if it would. I'm thinking it would be a great match up with VB's new system though
I'm surprised someone hasn't come along by now and mentioned that their 50 year old Garrard with a few minor tweaks will keep up with that MT10 and look better in the process as well.:)

Just my $0.02

I actually thought that more people would have said this, it's why I assumed there aren't that many people out there with them. I think they look cool, but I can see where another would not.

So, linear tracking is a what purist like? I didn't know that. Maybe I should just stay with my Rabco SL-8E on a Thorens TD-125 mkII and just get a better cartridge?

So, linear tracking is a what purist like?
Not really
Maybe I should just stay with my Rabco SL-8E on a Thorens TD-125 mkII

I had this same setup and it sounded fine, the arm was too finicky for me though, table was too susceptible to foot falls. If your arm works really good, and you don't have to mess around to get it to cue right, if you table suspension is good in your house. Maybe start stepping up your cartridge and staging, this will give you far more bang for the buck.

After getting my first SOTA Star Sapphire I knew then I really didn't ever need another table. Your really not going to beat the suspension and isolation with anything in that size table. So it was going to be my last table till I started buying more of them, had more but currently I have 4 of them.

Acrylic Gloss Black Star, SME Series V arm, Sumiko Blackbird

IMG_2199_zpstlogbojl.jpg
Koa Wood Star,SME Series V arm, Sumiko Blackbird

IMG_2198_zpssalrf5vi.jpg

So you want linear tracking?

Koa Wood Star, Eminent Technology ET-2 Air bearing arm, Sumiko Blackbird

IMG_3014.JPG IMG_3028.JPG

Satin Black Star, SME 309 arm, Sumiko Blackbird

IMG_2075_zps161572c9.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom