What is YOUR pet peeve? Let's have a laugh.

When he checkout person at the grocery store hands you change, and puts the bills in your hand and the coins on top of the bills.

How else are they supposed to do it? Not trying to be a dick, just wondering how you prefer it.

I do get a little creeped out when they put their hand under my hand, holding it up, as if to brace for the load of change being dumped.

Its really quite simple.

For this example, the sale amount is $5.25 and the amount tendered is a $20.00 bill.

The $20.00 bill is placed perpendicular to the cash slots on the cash drawer until the change is finished being counted before it is put into the appropriate slot. (Eliminates dishonest customers from saying I gave you a $50!)

Cashier: Says out loud to the customer: "That is 5.25 out of 20.00."
States: "5.25, 50, 75, 6.00" as three quarters are handed to the customer.
Then four $1.00 bills are counted out to the customer. As they are placed into the customers hand the cashier says out loud, "seven, eight, nine ten." As the remaining $10.00 bill is being placed into the customers hand the cashier states "and ten makes twenty".

Simply stated, start with the amount of the sale and count out the change up to the amount tendered. Simple!

As the customer is putting their change away, the cashier asks "would you like your receipt in the bag?" If no, wait for the customer to finish and hand it to them when they are ready for it. Then say (with sincerity) Thank you! We appreciate your business. Have the rest of a great day! (Or something similar, but the Thank you is not optional!)

There is a lot of error trapping in that procedure and it is far easier for the customer to handle the change and the receipt. (It also aids in practicing basic arithmetic skills. I know that it is a tough thing to learn but some day it may be helpful to know how to count in your head.) I taught that procedure to a LOT of young people back in the olden days, most as part of their first job. It was also before calculators were invented! (Please don't do that math!). Sadly, that kind of customer service and consideration is a lost art. I guarantee that it is appreciated by customers, at least I sure do.

And yes, having a fist full of coins, bills and a lengthy receipt dumped into my hand without the courtesy of having the change counted back to me is indeed one of my pet peeves!

Nitwits in a long line of cars all traveling at the same speed, that put both turn signals on at the same time -- AKA 4-way flashers. Exactly what are they trying to communicate to other drivers? With the turn signals effefictively disabled, they are just adding uncertainty and confusion to the situation. (It's not that they use turn signals properly anyway). Do they think that they have to tell other drivers that it's snowing or that there is a slow-down ahead because they are the only one that noticed that everyone is going slower than usual? Please stop trying to help. It's not helping.

Simply stated, start with the amount of the sale and count out the change up to the amount tendered. Simple!

It USED to be that simple. That was back in the day when people knew how to count and make change.

Nowadays, they key the amount of cash tendered, and the register tells them how much change to give. $5.25 out of $20, the machine tells them to give $14.75 change which they read from left to right - a ten, four ones, and three quarters.

On the practical side, if the register is anywhere near a door, putting the coins on top of the paper bills will prevent them from getting blown out of the customer's hand in the event of a breeze.

People who read a question in the first post of a thread, and feel the need to post an answer immediately without bothering to read the rest of the thread. Your brilliant suggestion for what the OP should buy that ended up on page five does no good when the post about the OP's purchase decision was on page 4.

I don't know if I am becoming more of a curmudgeon, or if more people can't be arsed to read & understand a thread before posting something that makes it clear they didn't bother to follow the plot before joining in.

Why is it that everybody on television feels they have to have their teeth bleached to a blinding shade of white? It just looks ... phony. And kind of spooky. I'm all for a nice healthy-looking set of ivory choppers, but the the talking heads on CNN are starting to make me feel like I'm getting my news commentary from the Stepford Wives (and husbands).

I know it has been mentioned more than once in this thread (more than likely by myself), but there seems to be a steadily growing trend of people who leave their high beams on all the time because they have a low beam burned out, and don't want to be pulled over and ticketed.

I'm not exaggerating when I say I witness this at least three or four times a week during my commute, and it's truly frustrating, though not nearly as bad as the jacked-up redneck trucks with improperly aimed HIDs and LED fogs. Just replace your low beam and stop blinding other drivers, ya lazy bum...

Why is it that everybody on television feels they have to have their teeth bleached to a blinding shade of white? It just looks ... phony. And kind of spooky. I'm all for a nice healthy-looking set of ivory choppers, but the the talking heads on CNN are starting to make me feel like I'm getting my news commentary from the Stepford Wives (and husbands).

After too many years of joints and coffee and tea, I got mine bleached. One of the most painful things I can recall, won't do THAT again. It did lighten my teeth considerably, tho.

A peeve I have is that all the youths are ultra-buff, even the women, yet the amount of those same people well-versed in the classics, history, and general knowledge tells me they should have put down the dumbbell and picked up a damned book.

On another note, if we were to remove the driving "peeves" we'd be left with something equivalent to a leaflet of jewish sports stars (apologies to "Airplane")

Out eating with friends or family someplace really great and the food is so good...........and then some bubblehead starts to talk about their diet and how much weight they lost or need to lose.

People that use the last inch of tape in the dispenser and just leave it empty for the next person. The same goes for finding the stapler empty and looking for another one rather than filling the empty one. Anyone found to have left the TP holder empty should be required to stand but-naked in the stocks at the town square. On second thought, in some cases that might punish the public more than the TP derilict.

People at work who take the last cup of coffee and don't make a fresh pot.

I am thinking of making a sign that says "The coffee making angels are on vacation. Please make coffee.

People at work who take the last cup of coffee and don't make a fresh pot.

I am thinking of making a sign that says "The coffee making angels are on vacation. Please make coffee.

The foreman should make the coffee while the hands are working. Can't have people screwing around making coffee when they have their noses to the grindstone.

Back
Top Bottom