Craig's list warning

dgunnr

Marantz Owner
Just a heads up, a poster from the Maryland area will post a nice looking serviced 2270 with a wood case for around $300. This is a scam. The posters name is usually Dave. The same person has also posted Pioneer SX receivers.

The other day I saw a 2270 champagne engraved unit in Yuma, New Mexico for $325. It was also from Dave. I contacted him and told him i was a interested real person in the unit who was also a detective. Suddenly the post was deleted. Thought I smelled a rat! Be careful of scams.

I hate these jerks that want to tee you up for a knot on the head and an empty wallet. But I got to admit, usually when I hear about this stuff it's either cars or motorcycles..a guy tried to steal my boys motorcycle after he advertised it for sale fortunately it didn't happen...

Just a heads up, a poster from the Maryland area will post a nice looking serviced 2270 with a wood case for around $300. This is a scam. The posters name is usually Dave. The same person has also posted Pioneer SX receivers.

The other day I saw a 2270 champagne engraved unit in Yuma, New Mexico for $325. It was also from Dave. I contacted him and told him i was a interested real person in the unit who was also a detective. Suddenly the post was deleted. Thought I smelled a rat! Be careful of scams.

Can you elaborate more on exactly what the scam is? There are several types out there. Are we talking bait and switch, money order scan, or assault/rob scam?

Do not pay cash and stick with PayPal and you are safe.

This isn't usually an option for craigslist since its generally an in-person medium. I use PayPal all the time online, but I'm not giving someone the ability to file a paypal dispute on an item he picked up from me in person. Generally craigslist purchases are as-is where-is. Most sellers will assume YOU are the scammer if you ask about using PayPal on craigslist.

Most sellers will assume YOU are the scammer if you ask about using PayPal on craigslist.

I wouldn't think the other was a scammer if he legitimately wanted to pay by PayPal which would have his home address along with other personal info registered with PayPal. Scammers would only engage in scamming knowing that they have no trace back to him. Of course there were some rare cases that buyer remorse kicked in and the buyer wanted to return the item to the seller and he would say the item was broken. Still pay with PayPal and you will have a better chance to recover the money than pay cash.

I wouldn't think the other was a scammer if he legitimately wanted to pay by PayPal which would have his home address along with other personal info registered with PayPal. Scammers would only engage in scamming knowing that they have no trace back to him. Of course there were some rare cases that buyer remorse kicked in and the buyer wanted to return the item to the seller and he would say the item was broken.

I'm not sure where you live or if you use CL much bit the situation I describe is a reality. If you don't believe me, try contacting CL sellers and offering to pay via PayPal. Have you actually bought much locally on CL using PayPal?

I believe you and I am not saying you are wrong. I just simply advised people not to pay cash for items not only on CL but everywhere else. I personally will not buy the item if the seller does not accept PayPal, period.

It's those potentially false claims for 'defective items' that keeps me away from shipping items, especially when it involves unobtainium parts from vintage audio gear.

I'm not sure where you live or if you use CL much bit the situation I describe is a reality. If you don't believe me, try contacting CL sellers and offering to pay via PayPal. Have you actually bought much locally on CL using PayPal?

I sell frequently on CL, and Paypal is a red flag. I accept cash only, and it is likely that this practice kept potential buyers away, but it is well worth the peace of mind.

In my home town the police have several locations, at Police Stations, where you can do an online transaction. They have cameras and are well lit.

In my home town the police have several locations, at Police Stations, where you can do an online transaction. They have cameras and are well lit.

My city started that as well. I've never used it though but I've never sold anything on craigslist worth more than $100 or so.

If your going to buy off a guy on craigslist with the intention of having them ship it to you. Use paypal to pay for it but do not send the money as friends or family. You are not covered by paypals protections. Best way to pay for an out of state purchase is through a credit card through paypal. if you get scammed theyll most likely give you your money back. Which is another way to tell if hes a scammer if he will only take paypal payment through friends and family.

Just for clarification, I only buy and sell locally on craigslist as that really is its primary purpose. There are other avenues for buying and selling long distance and yes, I always use PayPal goods and services for those.

Last edited:
The scam here is it is a ficticous unit all together. I'm sure this person will entertain you if you send a check, money order etc. My main point was this is a repeat and on going poster who is conducting a scam for buyers of Marantz and Pioneer receivers.

Good points on the pay pal, do not use friends and family, you void your protection rights.

Face-to-face I pay cash only, accept cash only. If a buyer or seller asked me to pay (or accept) paypal for a face-to-face I assume there's something not right and don't engage.

But then I live within the magic 300mile radius of BRG, ...

Dave showed up on Phoenix Craigslist. $325 for 2270 in a wood case.
I emailed about it and "Dave" replied.
I remember this post on AK, so I will post about it.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ele/6067428348.html

From the ad.
Marantz 2270 Vintage sound receiver in good working condition.

owned for just over 30 years.

Has been cleaned, but no surgery .

Performs well and has kinda Tube Amp sound .

can demo weeknights, or ship.

Attachments

• 01414_kiCujD75phb_600x450.jpg
    01414_kiCujD75phb_600x450.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 00u0u_eZn8uBUv4UH_600x450.jpg
    00u0u_eZn8uBUv4UH_600x450.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 00A0A_lI9Tlw3fEKE_600x450.jpg
    00A0A_lI9Tlw3fEKE_600x450.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 00g0g_jMLqkNKVSWm_600x450.jpg
    00g0g_jMLqkNKVSWm_600x450.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 35
These are the exact same photos this thief has posted in the Delaware-Maryland area CL for over a year. Everyone please be careful of these type postings. If it's too good to be true take a step back and re evaluate the ad.

Do not pay cash and stick with PayPal and you are safe.
I've bought a lot of things off CL and never had a problem. You just have to be on the look out for a scam and not fall prey.
99.9 % of the sellers on CL IMO are legit.

The only problem I have had as a seller is someone tried to pass me some counterfeit $20 bills. I have a marker that can identify counterfeit bills. When I told the guy they were counterfeit he acted surprised. Not sure if he knew but needless to say the deal was off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom