New to me large Advents = WOW

Those are really good sounding speakers. If I had found them when I first got back into this hobby, I would have stopped there!

I really like the Yamaha M-series amps! I regret selling my M-40. And having the M-65 rebuilt and optimized by an expert like Avionics, you are one lucky man!

Enjoy the set up! :beatnik:

I tried the 2a3 set amps and they didn't have enough power to get to reasonable listening levels. I didn't push it just because of the clipping potential. I was amazed at the clear tight bass for 3.5 watts. They gave the m-65 a run in that department. It was obviously sucking up all the power because dynamics just weren't there. The Yamaha is back in place and and sounding sweet. Maybe I'll stay off barder town now. Ha!

I just scored a great set of the bull nose walnut OLAs with the Rev 1 crossover. I had to reform one woofer. I just tried them tonight for the first time. I was underwhelmed in comparison to my restored KLH Sixes as to their musicality. I'm going to rebuild the crossover to Rev 2 with new parts and try again. Maybe they just need a refresh.

Love my New Large Advents and most of the line have a big following. The Legacy I has the same low end acoustic suspension makeup but added a soft dome tweeter, replacing the egg to better handle the " New" digital era.
I've had them sitting for awhile & finally got them up and running.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0967.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0965.JPG
    IMG_0965.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0964.JPG
    IMG_0964.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 43
image.jpeg Seems like advents keep popping up here and there more often in the last few weeks. I really like my advent 1s which is the smaller advent. Even those smaller smaller speakers like the watts. Tight bass and excellent midrange excels with these.
Looks like the utility cabinets but only half the size.

So I see people stacking these OLA's, with the top set upside down, keeping the tweeters close together. I'm sure doubling the speaker increases the volume, but what about sound stage and imaging? Do things start sounding less in focus? Are there phasing issues? My M-65 amp has 2 more sets of outputs, so I think I have plenty of power. Does a second set = double the magic???

Onebean

View attachment 887766 Seems like advents keep popping up here and there more often in the last few weeks. I really like my advent 1s which is the smaller advent. Even those smaller smaller speakers like the watts. Tight bass and excellent midrange excels with these.
Looks like the utility cabinets but only half the size.
Which is not "the" Smaller Advent. Advent 1 does not equal Smaller advent. Smaller Advent is a specific speaker, not a descriptor.

Agree, the Advent /1 is a sleeper in respect. I have a pair which was refoamed and recapped a few years ago up on a shelf in my shop, and there is no reason to replace them, but I do use them when I compare other speakers I rebuild. I use both NLAs and 6s in my office, but not stacked or together, but rather as two different systems.

OH, and the Legacy series....I simply love the Legacy I and II and buy every pair I see, refoam them, recap them, and sit back and listen. I really really like them, and every pair I sell makes someone happy.

One of Stereophile's 40 greatest loudspeakers of all time, I had them 40 years ago and revisited them about 5 years ago and they did not disappoint. I'd still have them today but a fellow AK'er (hello Frank!) offered a pristine Yamaha CR1020 in trade and I just had to have it. Those Advents just have a big, warm and mellow sound that is like a gentle hug, their weaknesses are in what they won't do (hyper detail etc...) than what they excel at, enjoy...

Maybe I'll stay off barder town now. Ha!

That is not going to happen until the subscription runs out. AMHIK

I just scored a great set of the bull nose walnut OLAs

Are these a rounded edge, ie. bullnose or is it a 45°angled cut, chamfered? There is misinformation in the advent identifier thread calling the OLA a bullnose which it is not, it is chamfered.

View attachment 887766 Even those smaller smaller speakers like the watts.

Yes, a sealed acoustic suspension speaker likes watts.

So I see people stacking these OLA's, with the top set upside down, keeping the tweeters close together. I'm sure doubling the speaker increases the volume, but what about sound stage and imaging? Do things start sounding less in focus? Are there phasing issues? My M-65 amp has 2 more sets of outputs, so I think I have plenty of power. Does a second set = double the magic???

Onebean

Phasing issues if you wire them out of phase. Usually the speaker is jumpered from the other speaker on that side. + to + and - to -. With more speaker wire and additional speaker outputs you can wire the pairs to separate set on the amp and compare, top, bottom both.

Does a second set = double the magic? NO Absolutely NOT. It is more, really, try it, it is more.

I stumbled onto another pair that have the same vinyl wrapped cabinet (not veneer) but maybe particle board instead of plywood, and they look the same on the jack plate, but the woofer isn't the masonite version. Could I stack these with my masonite version woofers, or do I need to stay with the same version as I have? The tweeters look to be the same.

Onebean

I stumbled onto another pair that have the same vinyl wrapped cabinet (not veneer) but maybe particle board instead of plywood, and they look the same on the jack plate, but the woofer isn't the masonite version. Could I stack these with my masonite version woofers, or do I need to stay with the same version as I have? The tweeters look to be the same.

Onebean

No particular harm and they will probably sing together just fine. There might be some slight differences in the crossovers so there's the possibility of some funny business at some frequencies but you won't know unless you hook them up.

Have the utility NLA's with One's stacked above, inverted. The model One is a smaller cabinet, cheaper, variant of the Utility NLA. One's come with a fixed tweeter level crossover instead of three position switch of the NLA's. Otherwise identical drivers.
IMO they do sound better stacked. A larger soundstage.
I did not follow the factory fusing recommendation. I installed a panel mount fuse holder by the binding posts. Wired in series with tweeter on one of the tweeter leads. Use 1/2 watt fast blow fuse.

Last edited:

Onebean
From experience, back in the 70's, a pair of large Advents could be had for give/take $150. Stereo shops stacked/demo'ed them against higher priced speakers, and promoted the sound/value equation. The experience was impressive, they sold me two pair! Audio purist do not accept the idea of stacking and I understand. If one listens at volumes at 90db or above, the stacked Advents certainly delivered at a decent price point.

Better late than never to the party. I first purchased a pair of originals in 1972.

This arrangement was first suggested in 1973 by HP in the first issue of The Absolute Sound. He also tried triples with two on the bottom. The result does involve compromises.

Doubling can provide almost 5db more output for a given amplifier so long as your amp can double down at the much lower impedance - which drops to 2.3 ohms at some frequencies. Apparent image height improves along with bass impact.

You do, however, compromise imaging clarity as you are introducing comb filtering effects since the tweeters are still relatively far apart. I've run them both ways, but currently run my modified New Advents in the garage as singles. I've recapped the crossovers, rewired them and placed wool pads around the tweeters to minimize diffraction.

Doubling can provide almost 5db more output for a given amplifier so long as your amp can double down at the much lower impedance - which drops to 2.3 ohms at some frequencies. Apparent image height improves along with bass impact.
/QUOTE]
Tricks of the trade, back then.

I struck a deal on a second set and I should have them today. I'll be stacking them up tonight, and will report back with my impressions. I guess I stayed off Barder Town, but not Craigslist. :biggrin:

The set I bought today comes with stands that raise the speaker up off the floor about 12"-14", and tilt the speakers back at about 15 degrees. I was wondering if making a bracket to tip the top speaker forward, so both sets had the tweeters pointed at my ears, would reduce the comb effect. Has anyone tried that? Like the JM Labs speaker.

I had one set, then two sets on 14" high flat top stands. Too high and tippy.
Then on 9" tall tilted stands. Bottom set seemed righr angle, but two sets tippy.
Currently, I have on two side by side 8" cement blocks. For my seated position the tweeters are about right height, ear level. Don't look wonderful, but very stable. Ideally top of botton speakers at ear level, if top set is inverted. Use trial and error testing to see what sounds best to you. IMG_20170315_133518.jpg

Back
Top Bottom