Mcintosh turntables

I think that many audio systems are bought as much for their visual stimulation as they are for their aural satisfaction. To prove this, if Mac came out with
a sound curtain that completely covered up the front of your audio gear, but sounded twice as good as the same setup without the curtain, I doubt that too many Mac owners
would ever buy it unless it had big blue meters. Identity plays a lot in what we like. Ferrari doesn't make any flat black cars for a reason.....

Love those SOTA tables BTW!

I think that many audio systems are bought as much for their visual stimulation as they are for their aural satisfaction. To prove this, if Mac came out with
a sound curtain that completely covered up the front of your audio gear, but sounded twice as good as the same setup without the curtain, I doubt that too many Mac owners
would ever buy it unless it had big blue meters. Identity plays a lot in what we like. Ferrari doesn't make any flat black cars for a reason.....

Love those SOTA tables BTW!
I think a lot of mac owner like the equipment for the SQ and really nothing to do with ascetics. For one thing mac doesn't change their look much to stay with trendy looks. What they put out today will match what they built 20 years ago. I have mac amps that look alike but would have no problem selling the one I don't like the sound of as much as the one that looks the same but sounds different.

I think non mac owner are more caught up on the looks drooling in show room windows, but once you own it your hear why you bought it.

I gotta say, I find the looks off-putting. It feels contrived to me; That big blue meter screams "hey, look at my big blue meter" rather than "this is a tasteful and reliable way to check your platter speed." The comically thick platter with the green light? Come on, I don't smoke dope and drool at black light posters any more, I don't need a big expensive glow-toy. (I feel the same about the green-lit tubes) It's not just that I find it ugly, it's that to me it looks like the form came before the function, like a turntable was made to fit into certain design specs ("Hey, how can we get blue output meters on a thing that doesn't variable output?") rather than making an awesome turntable look better.

Just my $0.02

I have to agree. The aesthetics of the MT10 are too over the top for me. It looks like an uber-expensive lava lamp. If I had a choice, I'd pick the MT5. And not just for the appearance.I think it presents much more bang for the buck.

I have to agree. The aesthetics of the MT10 are too over the top for me. It looks like an uber-expensive lava lamp. If I had a choice, I'd pick the MT5. And not just for the appearance.I think it presents much more bang for the buck.

For those of us who are members of the Steve Hoffman audiophile site, he was given the opportunity to put an MT-10 into his home/studio audio system and was very impressed with the sound. Here are some of his comments on it:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...mcintosh-mt-10-turntable.148410/#post-3463453

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...rntable-tweaked-and-its-sounding-good.292490/

The MT10 is one of those rare pieces of audio gear that just doesn't photograph well.

To me, it looks far, far better in person than in any photo I've seen, including McIntosh's own sales literature. I went to my dealer with the intent of getting an MT5 for the reasons you state, and they had a demo MT10 (with a new unopened cartridge) for way lower than retail. In person I found that no photograph I'd seen had done the MT10 justice, found it far more pleasing to look at than I had previously imagined, and so I went with it.

I bought the MT10 because I loved its looks and I have a loyalty to the McIntosh brand because of many good experiences. I can't say it is beautiful as a fact and I can't say its ugly as a fact. Its in the eyes of the beholder right? So its silly comparing it to a lava lamp or any thing else with a bad connotation because thats just subjective. I am sure one can get as good sound for less but if you subjectively like the looks and if you have normal human hearing and you have the means to purchase I believe you will be very happy with it.

I think a lot of mac owner like the equipment for the SQ and really nothing to do with ascetics. For one thing mac doesn't change their look much to stay with trendy looks. What they put out today will match what they built 20 years ago. I have mac amps that look alike but would have no problem selling the one I don't like the sound of as much as the one that looks the same but sounds different.

I think non mac owner are more caught up on the looks drooling in show room windows, but once you own it your hear why you bought it.

Agreed with your statements of McIntosh's sonic quality however styling consistency is also a critical element behind Mc's resale value as well to the brand's "mystique". I think any radical departure would not sit well with the majority of McIntosh clientele.

Last edited:
Curious that I haven't seen anyone in this group with a Mcintosh Turntable? They are fairly expensive, is that the reason? Anyone have one?
They are a little "bright" looking, but otherwise have that MAC look.

I'm thinking about a new table, and didn't want to overlook Mcintosh. I am liking the look of some of the VPI tables though..
Do not need the light show! Close your eyes and listen to the music. Get table & arm specs.

IMG_0212.JPG I use the MT10 in my all Mac system with great results. My previous reference table was the VPI HRX, which is a killer rig. The MT10 may not be quite as resolving, mainly because the arm is the weak link. I replaced the stock cartridge with the Clearaudio Stradivari V2, which is better in all regards. Yes, I chose the MT10 because of system homogeneity, but I don't feel like the MT10 is holding my system back. It is a very easy table to use, and has been very reliable. And it really is gorgeous in person.
Ditto.

I'd rather buy a Clearaudio turntable directly from them with a linear arm. :)

I was at my dealer last week getting a demo of the Revel Salon 2 (more on that drool session later) and we were using his MT10. I can tell you that the meter on the front is NOT a real time speed indicator - it's only able to tell you if you are on 33, 45 or 78. We noticed that the pitch was fast on 33 so he had to get out the tiny screwdriver to turn the screw in the back. It had no effect on the meter.

IMHO the cart was slightly bright and the overall tone was a bit bass-shy compared to either of my tables. It's a looker for sure, but there are better options out there as we all know.

jblnut

The meter on the MT10 certainly does read meter speed. It is connected to a magnetic sensor that reads from a magnetic pulse disc on the bottom of the platter.Just take the belt off the table and spin the platter with your finger and you will get the idea.
Ron-C

The meter on the MT10 certainly does read meter speed. It is connected to a magnetic sensor that reads from a magnetic pulse disc on the bottom of the platter.Just take the belt off the table and spin the platter with your finger and you will get the idea.
I suspect both of you are correct - yet I don't see how that meter presentation could be used for calibration purposes given we're liking talking adjusting speed by merely tenths or even hundredths of RPM.

The optional tachometer for my Eagle controller displays three fractional digits for such purposes. I confess that having one is sufficient for my needs. I maintain a consistent 33.3 and 45.0. :)

Typically if the meter is reading slow it is time for a new belt which could be after years of use.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom