What TT's do you folks have

Thorens 125-II, SME 3009 Series 2, Shure V15-VxMR
Thorens125II.gif
As a fellow td124(mine actually a td121) ,do you find the bass and drive of the idlers far superior to the belt drive 125? I find this to be so and some relief is to be found in the "correct timing of the direct drive". As well as my td121,I now only have technics sp25 and sl1401 models. I find that the idler can fathom the depths and do stop start in the music better but the 121/124 thorens are high maintainance decks, compared to technics.

I own a Marantz 6300 purchased new in 1976. Extra fine condition. I use medium quality moving magnet cartridges in the Marantz headshells. One is a 26 year old Signet AM-40S, the other is my regular use AT440MLB.

Welcome to the AK turn table forum. :)

The venerable TD-124

The only table in daily use these days around my house the the old warhorse Thorens TD-124/SME/SPU combonation that I've been using for about ten years. I came across the old Thorens randomly and bought it on a whim. Even then, in need of a LOT of work and tweaking there was something MAGIC about this table. I was a devoted LP-12 owner for some time until the Thorens (and the SPU!) stole my heart away and I doubt I could ever go back. I am well aware of the limitations, but the strenghts just KILL me! And old deep-groove Blue Note and this rig were MADE for each other!
Yes it would be hard to go back to the linn colourations, my td121 stole my heart too. There is fundamentaly several things wrong with the sound of an LP12 ,which are being now addressed at some outragous price, no thanks. The price of used 124s is sky high but you can still buy 3 with spares for less than a new linn.

The big japanese turntable makers made so many different models, it pays to research before you buy. Having cleaned several belt drives of gunk from perished belt rubber, using isopropyl alcohol which aint cheap and taking up to 3 hours, I am wary of belt drives that havn't been continuously used. I think now the safest investment under $700 usd is a technics sl1200 mk2., an industrial quality dd for which ANY spares are available. The arm has been critisized but has wonderful low friction bearings and may be swapped.

I have two at this time, a AT 120 with the pre amp and USB. I'm going to disable the pre amp as soon as I finish researching the process. I'm using a AT 120 eb cartridge and a cork/rubber platter mat. The second TT is a Teac TN-300 with a AT-!00 cartridge and a cork platter mat. Both of these receive their power from a Pioneer SX 980.
Please excuse the fact that I included no pics. My wife and I were victims of the record breaking flood that hit us in South Louisiana last August 11th. We have been staying in a home that a dear friend owns since and have no camera. We hope to move back home before the first of April with our home still needing work.
Not all of my gear made it but the music and LP's that I'm able to listen to has helped with the mental therapy that we need.

Last edited:
I have two at this time, a AT 120 with the pre amp and USB. I'm going to disable the pre amp as soon as I finish researching the process. I'm using a AT 120 eb cartridge and a cork/rubber platter mat. The second TT is a Teac TN-300 with a AT-!00 cartridge and a cork platter mat. Both of these receive their power from a Pioneer SX 980.
Please excuse the fact that I included no pics. My wife and I were victims of the record breaking flood that hit us in South Louisiana last August 11th. We have been staying in a home that a dear friend owns since and have no camera. We hope to move back home before the first of April with our home still needing work.
Not all of my gear made it but the music and LP's that I'm able to listen to has helped with the mental therapy that we need.

Hope your recovery from the flood is rapid.

Back
Top Bottom