The wait pays off!

tuffstuff1

Finally a C-2A pre shows up on local CL. My M-45 is awakened from it's den. I had to take my wife out to lunch because it is ritual when I buy a piece of equipment. She's like, "why are you eating so fast"? Did I have meat loaf and mash potatoes (woof). She knew I was excited to get it rocking. Well, here I sit in my happy place. It was really the last piece to complete my Yamaha system (3 year wait). This really sound phenomenal! It's really like, bam in your face and not at all what I am used to with MAC. I just really wanted this bad for the phono stage and the price was right. There's two itty bitty scratches on top. The face is perfect. I am going to stay up all night. No, wait work at 6am. Darn!IMG_0464[1].JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0460[1].JPG
    IMG_0460[1].JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 11
Thanks! I did not have time last night, but I am going to get it all set up in it's rack. I have a set of NS-1000 and a YP-D8 in ebony. That is the entire system with the S-2700 SACD. Stoked! Maybe I'll get lucky and snowed in for tomorrow. Expecting a foot of snow.

Nice score on the C2a. I've been waiting for an a or x to pop up for a while but no luck yet.
How do you like the S2700? I've got the 2300 and love it.

Beeyuteeful! Finding one on a local CL is a pretty amazing find. :rockon:

Once I get my C-2 recapped it's going to drive my M-85, I've seriously contemplated picking up a C-2a.

Nice score on the C2a. I've been waiting for an a or x to pop up for a while but no luck yet.
How do you like the S2700? I've got the 2300 and love it.

Thanks all. It is an amazing player. It was recommended to me here four years ago and the member ( I think JMKW) clued me in to NOS, so I've had it since new. It has been a flawless performer and at budget price. A real sleeper and does everything right.I still haven't had a chance to got my Yamaha only set up done. Maybe this weekend.

Or a couple of those weird ass pyramid looking things to bring a little piece of Egypt into the room. I hear ya!
No inverted out on any of the the C-2's. Makes bridging a bit more challenging.But a single B-6..Sure.

Looking good Frank! Yammy gear has that affect on people, my CR1020 you swapped me gets lots of attention in my new digs. You still running the NLA's? I do miss those but they'd be too much for my smallish man-loft anyway, good stuff!

Well,
I decided on a new cartridge, but thinking more about matching the cart (Denon DL-301 MKII) to my tonearm than to my preamp. I knew the C-2A would be the best preamp for my Yamaha system and for the MC cart., but now I am a little confused because the manual says for phono 1 to set the selector at 100ohm or on MC. Please see specs on my new cart below and give your opinion. The MC jack plugs are missing BTW and I did not realize when I bought the pre. Will I need these for use of phono 2 for different ohm setting based on these specs.? I hope I can just set it on MC or 100 ohm and call it a day. Fat chance obtaining those plugs.

Looking good Frank! Yammy gear has that affect on people, my CR1020 you swapped me gets lots of attention in my new digs. You still running the NLA's? I do miss those but they'd be too much for my smallish man-loft anyway, good stuff!

Hi Pete. Yamaha! Good to hear from you. That CR-120 was the most perfect receiver I ever had. Glad it's still working good for you. My NLA's are still front and center in my main room and I go back and forth between those and my NS-1000. I love them both.

The DL-301II cartridge is the updated version of the popular DL-301. The body style has been changed and output performance has been improved to provide a more detail-oriented response. The output is slightly higher than most MC cartridges, providing a strong response with plenty of punch.

Denon DL-301 MKII Specifications
  • Output: 0.4mV
  • Output impedance: 33ohms
  • Stylus: special elliptical tip
  • Frequency range: 20Hz-60kHz
  • Tracking force: 1.2-1.6g
  • Compliance: 13x 10-6cm/dyne
  • Weight: 6.0g

I finally got the chance last night to set up my TT with the Denon MC cart and according to the C2a owners guide I should connect to phono 1 and should be selector switched to 100 ohm or to MC. In the 100 ohm mode I have to turn the volume much higher than normal. If I switch it to MC, then BAM!, it does not take much volume at all, almost as if I were running a MM cart. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing by switching to MC and not blow anything up. The whole MC cart thing is new to me. BTW the manual says the cartridge requires a preamp with a setting of 100 ohm or more. Any help would be appreciated.

I have owned the C-2 and C-2x but not the C-2a. According to the specs I see on line (hifiengine) the MC setting is .1mv and 50ohms and this is where you need to set it for a MC cart. All the other settings are for MM carts including the 100 ohm setting. Your cart is not ideal for this MC setting but should work fairly well. Looks like MC connection is good for about 60db of gain which is fine for your cart.

MC needs to be plugged into phono 1. The Yamaha C-2a has capacidence loading RCAs in the back. There were various caps available from Yamaha to plug into these RCAs but this is only needed to tune MM carts.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom