Interesting speaker cable experiment

Hi:
Are you using the center conductor , which is copper coated steel for optimum RF conduction and high resistance , or just the shield in each cable ?
The copper braid shield , if it is that and not a drain wire with a foil shield , depends on the type of coax , would be a better speaker wire than the steel center conductor. Then just connect the center conductor at one end so it is not floating and use two runs of cable for each speaker. This is also why you should never use TV coax for audio or video interconnects. TV coax only works at radio frequencies and is used for antenna and cable systems.
RG 213 is a great speaker cable as the center conductor is copper and large compared to smaller coax like RG 6 or even smaller RG 59. Then you can use the RG 213 and it should sound great.
Hope this helps
Ed
Crap mine is capper plated steel thanks for the catch....I was using two cables for one speaker using the center conductor It is RCA RG6 I still like the sound as it made the background very black and clean compared to the other speaker It has a little more presence as well ..

When listen to both spekers in mono even though the one with speaker cable is a tad louder my ear is still drawn to the other speaker. I am still trying to figure that out but I think it is because the one with the coax appears "wider" in a strange way. Can I just go out and get the RG 213 locally? I would like to try it as well

Last edited:
Which coax type did you use, RG/6 or RG59? Some coax has a steel center conductor (with plated copper coating) and aluminum foil/braid shield, while others have solid copper conductor (like 18 ga) with copper braid shielding.......
Good catch guys, mine was copper coated..RG6

Just for info the coax is only about 7 feet long and I flattened the center conductor with a hammer and an anvil a little to have more surface area to connect with my spring terminals as my stuff is older.

I might give this a try also as I have a 100 foot cable too.

I have three power amp speaker combinations in one system.

View attachment 888610

View attachment 888611

After getting these two speakers

View attachment 888612

My new configuration is similar to this now.

View attachment 888613

I'll make 10' runs and heat shrink the ends covering the shielding and might add bananas plugs. As it stands the JBL L250s and Monitor Audio have audioquest rocket 33 cables, and the Martin Logans have Kimber Kables.
Hey @4-2-7 When you going to get more audio gear, looks like your getting low ;)

As Twiiii indicated in his post #17, one needs to understand that any impedance concept applied to cable, only comes into effect if the cable is longer than some 1/4 wavelength of the highest frequency to be handled. For audio this will be over several hundred meters. Thus for typical domestic lengths the cable is merely a capacitor across the terminals plus the internal resistance - nothing else. For loudspeaker cable the capacitance is unlikely to ever play a role* at loudspeaker impedances, whereas the series wire resistance acts in series with the loudspeaker impedance. Approximate loss is thus simple to calculate.

With this nobody is discouraging experimentation, only it will be time wasted to merely find (yet again) that 'a round wheel works better than a square one', so to speak. It is not unknown that particularly the audio cable scene is rife with urban legend, and the experimenter will find it rewarding to do some initial reading up to avoid unnecessary repetition. The internet is your friend.

*Caveat: I understand that certain amplifiers are rather unhappy with the least capacitance across the output, particularly if the loudspeaker should become disconnected. I regard this as a design shortcoming, but if it is there it is there.

Which coax type did you use, RG/6 or RG59? Some coax has a steel center conductor (with plated copper coating) and aluminum foil/braid shield, while others have solid copper conductor (like 18 ga) with copper braid shielding.......

To build on this, nearly all RG6-type coax one is likely to encounter on the street, so to speak, will be CCS (copper clad steel) center conductor. One has to step up beyond the garden variety typically used for CATV to get all-copper core and copper braid.

It's called RG59/U. I have a roll of it in my house, Coleman 92074, 20 ga solid copper center conductor, 85% copper braided shield.

Yeah, RG59-types tend more toward copper core and copper braid. However, they're normally pretty thin, like 20-22ga core.

Belden 1694A is an RG6-style coax having 18ga copper core, tinned copper braid, and foil shield. It's really good stuff for its intended uses.

I wonder why speaker cable companies don't push this groundbreaking new technology.

scratch-head03-idea-animated-animat.gif~c200

Because it is.

because is fun and I like to be differnt and I dont, and have never followed "rules"

"I can say" one of my speakers after a week is still hooked up this way and I have a good ten hours listening to it and I am in no hurry to take it off. I found more benefits versus a lack of volume compared to the one with speaker cable. Even though one speaker is louder i hear better things coming from the other.. I can say the timing, is or seems a little later than the one with the regular speaker cable.

Someone might try this for an hour and say the louder more bass heavier is better but I tend to spend way to much time on tests like this and work hard not to worry that copper and this or that is better and I am consciously aware that I might be wanting to believe that some how the coax could be better.. Maybe its correcting some timing thing between my drivers and works with these or something. I dont really care why and will keep on testing until i get sick of having two different cables on my speakers. All I can say is one is louder when both are being driven together. One appears to have a bigger sound stage around the speaker by up to a foot most times (the one with the coax) but I realize it could be just because it might be out of time in some way with the other speaker and just seems that way. I can say with no doubt i have heard things in music I haven't heard before. It a brighter/tighter kind of sound and an obviously blacker background which some may not like but I do.

A little about me, I have a good part of my life worked for large global manufacture installing equipment in other large global companies and handling modifications and testing in the field and working with production to improve or fix results in observed in the field so my critical think thinking skills are quite excellent. The difference with me to others is I dont care what the engineers back at the factory say or what "theory" says, I can only go by the results I and the customer are seeing and more often than not engineers get pissy and were wrong in some way. I keep my mind very open to things. just saying :)

It's not like its huge amperage coming out of most amps, especially smaller 100wrms per channel verity. If the OP is having fun "experimenting" with coax speaker cable, who cares, and maybe he likes what he hears. I like the sound of single conductors myself......

I think the relevance is not the conductor diameter relative to power, but the fact that smaller diameter wire adds more series resistance. The series resistance is probably the larger factor than simply that its coaxial-type cable.

Thin cable can be found in many forms. I've experimented with two 24ga conductors stripped from Cat5 network cable for speaker wire. Not two per side, but one 24 for (+) and one 24 for (-).

Perhaps it sounds better because of the new and better (clean) connections to both amplifier and speakers?

Indeed. There are a number of things that could individually or in unison explain differences heard, and not even be specifically related to coaxial-type cable. That's all the fun stuff to consider re. correlation doesn't imply causation. Doesn't mean there isn't a difference, but what is really causing the difference sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom