How Many Dental Xrays is Too Many / Often?

Killer Fox

How many dental xrays are too many / often? Our 16 yr old son had 3 sets in the last few months between Ortho, wisdom teeth surgery and then the dental hygienist just did it a 3rd time without my consent (and really pissed me off btw). Should I be worried about to much radiation exposure or am I just being paranoid?

I wouldn't get to worked up ... they ain't your granddaddy's x rays anymore ...

No more lead aprons either. My dentist has one of the rotating tower thingies shown in the video, but that's just for a full jaw scan. Usually, it's just a hand held "camera" - click, shoot, and there it is on the monitor.

There are different types of x-rays done for different reasons. What the orthodontist did exactly I don't know. The x-ray for the wisdom teeth was most likely a panoramic and it absolutely should be done prior to surgery. The hygienist was also doing the right thing taking x-rays after Ortho was removed. She probably did bitewing x rays which are used to diagnose decay between the teeth. Any decay would have been obscured by the orthodontic appliances.

Besides, given the option of that, or just digging in blind hoping they get it right the first time? Not much of a choice, eh. Lesser of two evils, and all that.

Besides, I get a b-b-b-b-bite wing every time I get a cleaning, as they want to k-k-k-k-k-keep an eye on a molar that's having "issues" ... n-n-n-n-n-n-no discernible consequences so f-f-f-f-f-far ...

Except for that Max Headroom thing anyway. But you gotta admit, he had perfect t-t-t-t-teeth! <G>

maxheadroom.jpg~c200

Last edited:
There are different types of x-rays done for different reasons. What the orthodontist did exactly I don't know. The x-ray for the wisdom teeth was most likely a panoramic and it absolutely should be done prior to surgery. The hygienist was also doing the right thing taking x-rays after Ortho was removed. She probably did bitewing x rays which are used to diagnose decay between the teeth. Any decay would have been obscured by the orthodontic appliances.
Yep , I just got two done on a very skilled suspicion something wasn't right but wasn't visible. Turns out I've got unfelt decay working fast toward my tooth nerve which would mean losing yet another tooth. I'm booked in for a drill and fill very soon. Well worth it in my case.

Better than what we did as kids...walk into the shoe store & stand on the X-Ray machine to see our foot bones. And do it again and again.

Back in the early 50s it was a fairly common practice to treat chronic tonsillitis with heavy doses of X-rays as an alternative to having them removed. My parents had me treated, but it didn't work. I had them removed a year or so later. Then, in the 70s or 80s they discovered that children who had the treatment had a unusually high occurrence of thyroid cancer. Those so treated were urged to have periodic thyroid scans. I had mine done once and everything was OK. Haven't done again, though.

The dentist is padding the bill....check out the car he is driving!

If it were one dentist I would be suspicious. The case here involves 3 different dental practitioners (orthodontist, oral surgeon, and general dentist) each concentrating on different dental issues. To do their jobs properly, x-rays are sometimes necessary.

Removing 3rd molars is tricky business due to the proximity to nerves and sinuses. Everyone's anatomy is not exactly the same so x-rays may detect anomalies of significance to the procedure. Would you want to risk paralysis or loss of feeling because you didn't want an x-ray?

How would you suggest a dentist check for decay on tooth surfaces that abut one another? Maybe they can pull the tooth and examine it then put it back? What could go wrong? Maybe they shouldn't bother checking and just let the tooth decay to the point of needing a root canal and crown. You want to talk about padding the bill, that's serious money.

The notion that a dentist is driving a nice car because they are ripping people off is not valid. They drive nice cars because they went to school for a minimum of 8 years after high school, took out massive loans, took on risk of opening their own business, provide a valuable service, etc.

As with anything, there can be scumbags who look to screw people. My experience however is that most of the people I've worked with are honest people who enjoy helping people in need. It is very rewarding when you contribute to improving people's health. I had a woman hug me the other day after I had to dig pretty deep cleaning her teeth. She said she felt good and that nobody ever worked that hard for her. That my friends is why I do it.

I wouldn't get to worked up ... they ain't your granddaddy's x rays anymore ...

No more lead aprons either. My dentist has one of the rotating tower thingies shown in the video, but that's just for a full jaw scan. Usually, it's just a hand held "camera" - click, shoot, and there it is on the monitor.
I've taken hundreds of Panorexes when a dental tech in the Army a few decades back. Safety measures included routine use of lead apron and intensifier sheets in the film cassettes.
Dunno the more modern technology but figure digital imaging is common.

If it were one dentist I would be suspicious. The case here involves 3 different dental practitioners (orthodontist, oral surgeon, and general dentist) each concentrating on different dental issues. To do their jobs properly, x-rays are sometimes necessary.

Removing 3rd molars is tricky business due to the proximity to nerves and sinuses. Everyone's anatomy is not exactly the same so x-rays may detect anomalies of significance to the procedure. Would you want to risk paralysis or loss of feeling because you didn't want an x-ray?

How would you suggest a dentist check for decay on tooth surfaces that abut one another? Maybe they can pull the tooth and examine it then put it back? What could go wrong? Maybe they shouldn't bother checking and just let the tooth decay to the point of needing a root canal and crown. You want to talk about padding the bill, that's serious money.

The notion that a dentist is driving a nice car because they are ripping people off is not valid. They drive nice cars because they went to school for a minimum of 8 years after high school, took out massive loans, took on risk of opening their own business, provide a valuable service, etc.

As with anything, there can be scumbags who look to screw people. My experience however is that most of the people I've worked with are honest people who enjoy helping people in need. It is very rewarding when you contribute to improving people's health. I had a woman hug me the other day after I had to dig pretty deep cleaning her teeth. She said she felt good and that nobody ever worked that hard for her. That my friends is why I do it.

I agree with you that most practitioners are honest but squirrelnest is actually correct in this case. The Dentists at this office are greedy. The main Dentist doesn't even practice anymore and is now into trying to become a politician, complete with custom tour bus.

They have been trying to upsell me for years (Invisalign, whitening, etc.) until I got sick of it and left. My wife and son insisted on staying until now. They charged me $250 for Xrays and a cleaning for my son this last time. That's crazy!! We don't live in a big city.

Yeah, you can probably do much better on the price and not lose quality. What an office charges is not a standard fee, they can pretty much ask what they want. Anyway, that is a different issue from how they decide what procedures are necessary. X-rays should be done as often as a patient needs them. If you have active decay, dry mouth, many large restorations, poor diet, high sugar consumption, poor hygiene, etc you should get bitewings more often than others who don't have any of those risk factors. The trick is to try to catch things before they are a problem. The days of waiting to go to the dentist until you have a toothache are over. All that does is increase suffering, cause dental phobias, increases need for expensive procedures, and decreases retention of natural teeth to name a few.

Bottom line is that you need to choose who you are comfortable with. If you don't like being sold, go to a different office whose philosophy more closely aligns with yours. There are dentists out there who are more conservative.

The dentist is padding the bill....check out the car he is driving!
Dentist is a woman. Owns the whole practise and only works part time. Cares more for the patient than profit. She's got it all sorted already to live in a very cushy relaxed coastal holiday town.

Working in Neurosurgery and seeing all the CT's and X-rays our patients get without any issues or side affects, I REALLY would not worry about it. As others have mentioned, the x-rays you get at the dentist are so minuscule, you are exposed to more radiation walking to your car on a sunny day. Don't sweat it! :)

Back
Top Bottom