Today's Blues Playlist

What's this one all about?

Now I'm Jonesin' to spin some Walter vinyl.
All I have is Confessin' The Blues and a best of. One of them has a warp in it that looks like somebody rested it on a cue ball over top of a heat register, I forget which one.
I usually reach for that Chess 50th Anniversary CD, but I think I'll pull out the vinyl.

Speaking of Walter, the Oscher album I posted above has this story that he tells on it.
Warning, though, it's rated R.

I love how he pauses before dropping an F bomb and asks if they're any kids there. When I saw him at a bar a few years ago he told that story, complete with the swearing. When I saw him at a festival last summer he toned it down. You could tell he knew the story didn't work as well without the cussin', lol.

What's this one all about?

Now I'm Jonesin' to spin some Walter vinyl.
All I have is Confessin' The Blues and a best of. One of them has a warp in it that looks like somebody rested it on a cue ball over top of a heat register, I forget which one.
I usually reach for that Chess 50th Anniversary CD, but I think I'll pull out the vinyl.

Speaking of Walter, the Oscher album I posted above has this story that he tells on it.
Warning, though, it's rated R.

I love how he pauses before dropping an F bomb and asks if they're any kids there. When I saw him at a bar a few years ago he told that story, complete with the swearing. When I saw him at a festival last summer he toned it down. You could tell he knew the story didn't work as well without the cussin', lol.
This album is a collection of songs he did in the mid 1950's on small labels long before he played in the Muddy Water Band. I like it a lot and find his harp playing to be hypnotic.

This album is a collection of songs he did in the mid 1950's on small labels long before he played in the Muddy Water Band. I like it a lot and find his harp playing to be hypnotic.
Sounds like a good one.
Walter's harp playing is the blues version of Bird's sax playing in jazz, IMO. He was that much of a game changer.
I've got Confessin' The Blues on the turntable right now.

32639628364_f4d9b41d50_b.jpg

I am the Blues

Willie Dixon

1969/19? Columbia PCT9987

My CD/LP/TAPE Collection

Some jump-blues

Kid Ramos
West Coast House Party
Evidence

looks like it really was a party, tons of guests on this one including Duke Robillard and Kim Wilson
https://www.discogs.com/Kid-Ramos-West-Coast-House-Party/release/7823025
Oh man, don't get me started on Ramos. By far one of my fav current players. Everything he touches is worth a listen.

One of his best is an old James Harman album, Strictly Live In '85. He and Hollywood Fats(!) absolutely smoke on it.

Looks like James Cotton died today.
Damn.

With all this Walter talk I was just thinking about the legacies of all those great Muddy harp players, and pondering where they "ranked".

I guess going from some Walter to some Cotton for the playlist today is a pretty easy choice.

This is such a great record.
I bought it in 1969. Somehow in the early 70's it went missing.

Well that ain't cool that it went missing. I've had a few disappear over the years as well.
Looking through my Big Mama section I see two records with the title "Sassy Mama", the live one I posted above and a studio Vanguard release.

Back
Top Bottom