Marantz tuners

Marantz 19 has the best tuner. Other good ones; Model 18, 2270, 2325, 4300, 4400. Those are the ones I know but there are others I'm sure.

Marantz 19 has the best tuner. Other good ones; Model 18, 2270, 2325, 4300, 4400. Those are the ones I know but there are others I'm sure.
Thanks for your input, I had a nice Marantz stolen in a burglary back in the mid 70's (don't remember what model) and recently got back into the hobby. I like to listen to FM as well as other sources. Have been wanting another Marantz but they are asking crazy prices for them..

By the way, that looks like a nice Rick in your pic.. have done some gigging myself , now I'm retired will be doing some things

By the way, that looks like a nice Rick in your pic.. have done some gigging myself , now I'm retired will be doing some things
Thanks. I actually have the Rick up for sale because I am only playing acoustic now with my new band.

The 18 and 19 were cost no object receivers with built in scopes using the best parts, technology and layout possible. The 18 and 19 have essentially the same tuners derived from the model 20 and 20B tuners, considered to be some of the very best marantz tuners. The tuner sections in the 18 and 19 are not sort of the same, they are nearly interchangeable with the 20 and 20B. The 19 has an active front end vs the 18's passive unit, making it more sensitive.

The model 18 is rather affordable compared to the 19 and is IMHO undervalued. You can find 18's as low as a couple hundred dollars that need service, a few hundred in working order and a thousand or more in restored condition. The 19's are quite a bit more...

Generally I found Marantz tuners, regardless of model, to be quite good. Always a notch above the others. And this isn't just because we are on the Marantz forum.

The 18 and 19 have essentially the same tuners derived from the model 20 and 20B tuners.

The model 18 tuner section is derived from model 10B (according to Saul Marantz itself),
designed by Sidney Smith and Richard Sequerra, and released in 1967.
Models 19, 20 and 20B are derived from Model 18, and designed by Superscope.

The model 18 tuner section is derived from model 10B (according to Saul Marantz itself),
designed by Sidney Smith and Richard Sequerra, and released in 1967.
Models 19, 20 and 20B are derived from Model 18, and designed by Superscope.

You are correct... What I meant is that the 18 is akin to the 20 and 19 to the 20B.

Thanks for your input, I had a nice Marantz stolen in a burglary back in the mid 70's (don't remember what model) and recently got back into the hobby. I like to listen to FM as well as other sources. Have been wanting another Marantz but they are asking crazy prices for them..

Crazy prices... Oh I wish I was old enough to have had the chance to buy gear in the 70s.
Man, those Scopes gives me goosebumps. I want them all !

You're going to get about 15 different answers to that question. I think it depends on what you're listening style is. I hear that the 19 is awesome. I have a 2245, and I love it. What I really want is a 2325. There was one for sale for around $600 on my local CL, and I was too slow in responding to add.

Good luck.

I've been saving my 110 tuner for a good home (at least that's my excuse). Sold the matching 1060 amp a couple years ago. I know I'll never use the tuner, but it's in the original box and styrofoam :) Likely needs calibration, recap, etc.

You're going to like that 250M. Bob did mine and I am VERY happy with
You're posts pushed me into it, unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time or the desire to enjoy it. My wife's Alzheimer's just took a bad turn, she's held on for almost eight years, and with the things I will have to deal with in the near future will overshadow any Marantz fun. I very much enjoyed the time I have spent here, it helped distract from the situation and gave me some peace. Won't be on as much, so thank you all for all the help and encouragement.

What kind of antenna do you recommend? That's one thing I haven't done yet.

I still love FM in spite of the horrid playlists these days. I'm interested in finding college stations but where I live (West Central Florida), it's a bit of a long distance problem. I put up a 30 ft. pushup pole and a Channel Master rotor and bought one of these directional FM-only antennas. They're very inexpensive and I'm thinking about modding two of them into a longer, more directional version:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2460

Back
Top Bottom