Tuners?

Yeah those other three i listed are apart of the family, great to known, i had the light fix for the needle and discovered the needle was repaired/glued, so that spot effects the light travel down the needle. thanks mike

Since my last post on page 33 of this thread, I've bought an ADS T2 tuner ($15, last day at an estate sale), and it is a wonderful unit. It only edged the Akai out of my main system by virtue of its faceplate color. Both tune and sound excellent.

My Sansui AU/TU717 in the house is set on an oldies station (60s, 70s, and 80s) and my 8080db in the warehouse is set on a station out of Sacramento State College that plays classical during the day and jazz at night.

I also have the Sansui TU and AU 717. Listen to them every night at bedtime. Luckily, we have a good, public jazz station here in the Puget Sound region. I have a Scott 350 to go with my 299 integrated as well.

I continue to be amazed by the ADS T2 tuner. I tuned in KANU today and got all five signal strength lights lit, the "tuned" indicator lit and the stereo indicator lit. The SQ is excellent, with NONE of the usual FM artifacts, The kicker is that the station is some fifty miles away in Lawrence, Kansas, and I am using a T-antenna in the basement.

Splatter- thanks for posting. I was afraid we'd sit on #666 for too long. :D

Probably of interest to nobody, but I use a wideband ommni antenna (http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/omni.htm) that worked OK, but I was never convinced it was as good as could be. I did mine with wire, not pipe or tube. It's below ground in the basement, so I'm probably expecting too much. I messed with coiled lines and clamp-on ferrites to no avail. Finally I made it a 1:1 balun of the simplest type (http://vk6ysf.com/balun_guanella_current_1-1.htm). Seems to be a big improvement. You need a small high frequency toroid like an Amidon #61 for FM use. T-50 size is plenty, probably way overkill. Takes about 10 minutes to make.

My Yamaha T-85 never seemed that great either, until I aligned it. Huge improvement in SQ. I was scared to do it, but it turned out to be one of the easier alignments I've done.

Splatter- thanks for posting. I was afraid we'd sit on #666 for too long. :D

Probably of interest to nobody, but I use a wideband ommni antenna (http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/omni.htm) that worked OK, but I was never convinced it was as good as could be. I did mine with wire, not pipe or tube. It's below ground in the basement, so I'm probably expecting too much. I messed with coiled lines and clamp-on ferrites to no avail. Finally I made it a 1:1 balun of the simplest type (http://vk6ysf.com/balun_guanella_current_1-1.htm). Seems to be a big improvement. You need a small high frequency toroid like an Amidon #61 for FM use. T-50 size is plenty, probably way overkill. Takes about 10 minutes to make.

My Yamaha T-85 never seemed that great either, until I aligned it. Huge improvement in SQ. I was scared to do it, but it turned out to be one of the easier alignments I've done.

Nice try! I happen to be interested... i'm 50 miles from boston, so every tweak gets me more stations. last bit got me a 4kw station i've been seeking. MIght have to look into that ballun. I've one up at the feedpoint and a choke, and nothing causing interference i can tell. Made me a http://www.qsl.net/yt1vp/CUBICAL QUAD ANTENNA CALCULATOR.htm and it absolutely destroys my dipole. just the element and reflector so far, figured i'd add a director if i got a rotor for it. picked 98hz and i might lower it but so far no need,

Always looking for other types of antenna to try, looks like i've another lined up after this j-pole...

Wow, that should work great, but it's too big for anyplace I could put it. I'm about as far from an RF guy as you could get, but I do have a vector impedance meter. The thing that drives me crazy is they show calculated curves for antenna impedance, but when I make physical measurements I get all sorts of goofy results. I know the meter is working correctly, as it reads a 50 or 70 ohm resistor at the end of the coax correctly. My guess is antennas only measure correctly in free space, and being in a room messes up the carefully done calculations. A pole and rotor should be great. I fear putting up an outdoor antenna with any height, as we get a fair number of close lightning strikes ever year or three. My guess is the vertical omni won't be enough better than a regular dipole for you, as the quad is vastly better than a simple dipole. Still fun to play with as it's very easy to throw together. I use a horizontal piece of wood top and bottom, and hang it wherever convenient.

Conrad: Do you have enough vertical room in your attic? It is relatively easy to rig up a rope pulley "rotator" if you have a closet that your wife doesn't look in very often. You might even be able to find a run all the way down to your basement.

Mumbai, I am not able to offer you any advice, but others may come along and give you some good advice.

If one uses an average tuner with a noise figure of around 5 dB and one has an antenna with a gain of say 5 dBd, that will result in a lowering of the noise figure by about 2.5 dB in round numbers (a good thing). Even an antenna gain of only 3 dBd it will still lower the noise figure by almost 2 dB (still a good thing).

And depending on the quieting slope of the tuner being used, a small increase in signal may make a larger than anticipated improvement in signal quality.

Because of this, a simple tweak of the RF front end, especially the antenna matching section using the current antenna in use may also result in a greater than anticipated improvement in reception.

And yes it is difficult to achieve accurate antenna measurements if there are other conductors/metallic objects in the RF near field of the antenna.

Shankar, the problem you describe is universal. Persons with the skill and dedication to repair vintage electronics do it more as an avocation than as a primary business. Original manufacturers typically no longer exist and in any case are very unlikly to stock parts for old units. We must depend on current manufacturers or salvaged parts.

A big part of the solution here in the U.S. is AudioKarma, where enthusiasts from around the country can share information on part hunting, and either find technical help or share information on doing it yourself. But our collective knowledge is focused on resources available in America. What you need is to find (or start) an 'AudioKarma of India.'

I have been using a Yamaha T-85 for about 30-years. I recently bought a Parasound Halo T3 on ebay. Looking forward to trying it out.

(19" rack, all with integrated amplifiers)

Currently:
Hitachi SR2001, Heathkit AR1219, Denon AVR1700 (receiver)

Formerly:
Fisher RS851

(The Fisher, Hitachi, and Heathkit were DOA but was able to repair them. The Denon was just a silly mistake.)

Hooked up my new-to-me Scott 570T tuner.

Then I spent 3 hours up on the roof installing an omnidirectional round antenna. The reception is good, but still not as great as I hoped. I think the antenna is good, but the mast is a bit low. I do have some cable slack tucked away. I might have to order a taller mast to get some better reception. Still, it's MUCH better than anything I had been using inside the house.

The Scott 570T is a nice, warm tuner. The mute and "mpx fil" switches don't seem to work, and there's a lot of noise/squelch when tuning in between stations. But once you're locked in to a station, it's really nice. Listening to the local jazz station right now and it's jamming.

EDIT: I'm now cruising Amazon for a taller mast, a second antenna (of the same make) and an RG6 combiner. Anyone else ever run 2 FM antennas and combined the signals?

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Hooked up my new-to-me Scott 570T tuner.

Then I spent 3 hours up on the roof installing an omnidirectional round antenna. The reception is good, but still not as great as I hoped. I think the antenna is good, but the mast is a bit low. I do have some cable slack tucked away. I might have to order a taller mast to get some better reception. Still, it's MUCH better than anything I had been using inside the house.

The Scott 570T is a nice, warm tuner. The mute and "mpx fil" switches don't seem to work, and there's a lot of noise/squelch when tuning in between stations. But once you're locked in to a station, it's really nice. Listening to the local jazz station right now and it's jamming.

EDIT: I'm now cruising Amazon for a taller mast, a second antenna (of the same make) and an RG6 combiner. Anyone else ever run 2 FM antennas and combined the signals?
you need a directional yagi w/a rotor. don't bother w/omni's. taller mast would certainly help, regardless...

doug s.

you need a directional yagi w/a rotor. don't bother w/omni's. taller mast would certainly help, regardless...

doug s.

Hmmm....enough house and work projects without going to a rotor. I'll probably go for the taller mast and live with it. It's better than anything I had in the house, I just dream of perfect FM reception. Guess I'll live with "good enough".

But thank you for the advice.

Hmmm....enough house and work projects without going to a rotor. I'll probably go for the taller mast and live with it. It's better than anything I had in the house, I just dream of perfect FM reception. Guess I'll live with "good enough".

But thank you for the advice.
well, if you want to go w/two antennae, then get two yagi's and mount them so they aim at the majority of stations you listen to.

the biggest antenna issue is being able to get an antenna on the roof; as you already have that part accomplished, it's really foolish to not get a rotor and to use omni antenna(s) instead. you have the battle already +90% won, w/a roof-mounted antenna; silly to give up now. especially if you want better reception.

imo, of course. ;)

doug s.

well, if you want to go w/two antennae, then get two yagi's and mount them so they aim at the majority of stations you listen to.

the biggest antenna issue is being able to get an antenna on the roof; as you already have that part accomplished, it's really foolish to not get a rotor and to use omni antenna(s) instead. you have the battle already +90% won, w/a roof-mounted antenna; silly to give up now. especially if you want better reception.

imo, of course. ;)

doug s.

Don't rotors require power? For some reason I'm thinking of a complex motorized rotor that needs a power source. That always sounded like a lot of trouble, seeing as I have no outlets or power up on my roof. But maybe I'm missing something?

Don't rotors require power? For some reason I'm thinking of a complex motorized rotor that needs a power source. That always sounded like a lot of trouble, seeing as I have no outlets or power up on my roof. But maybe I'm missing something?
yes, rotors require power. but your tuner also requires power, right? and it requires signal from your antenna? i am sure you don't have your tuner up on the roof, right? :)

the rotor controller can be at/near your tuner, plugged into the wall at/near your tuner. you just run the power wire up to the antenna rotor, the same way you run the coax antenna feed up to the antenna from the tuner.

doug s.

Back
Top Bottom