AT216EP

srs735

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Last year I saw one of these for sale on an auction site. I had a Technics SL-5 sitting idle looking for a new cartridge. I didn't see a lot of information about the AT216EP online. What I did see was positive and some NOS stylus were available, so what the heck. It seems that there are 2 different stylus available, an AT211 and the AT216

Has anyone else here had experience with this cartridge?

Currently I have the SL-5 with the AT216EP hooked up to an Arcam Delta 290 driving a pair of Kef C-80's. This combination is very sweet. I tend to listen to classic rock, some jazz and the blues. Everything sounds very natural (neutral), nice cymbals, drums, slide guitar, vocals sound rich. I've compared this to a Mitsubishi LT-22 with a Benz Micro L2 and a Denon DP-60L with a Transfiguration Axia. No, the AT doesn't sound better than those, but in my opinion it gives the Benz a run for the money. If this sounds this nice on the bottom of the rung SL-5 I wonder how nice it might sound on one of the nicer P-mount tables

Currently I'm listening to Mighty Sam McClain GIVE IT UP TO LOVE and it shines :music:

specs a.jpg specs b.jpg
Specs might help put your 216EP into the big picture. These are somewhat mysterious cartridges-- ostensibly A-T's second-generation p-mounts, they stuck around for a very short time, quickly replaced (due to cost? dunno) by the generation represented by the current AT92E. I'd love to see a brochure that talks about them, but so far I've been unsuccessful. However, there are a few of us here on AK who own one or more of these cartridges.

Those are pretty rare and pretty good. What you really want is the Aviform Edition, the AT-E32P.

CjISq7kUoAgkEmg.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of these sitting around. It came on a technics sl-q200 I picked up. I'm pretty sure it's worn out, sounds distorted in the highs. I did look at it under a microscope, fully nude stylus.

There was also a non-penguiform standard mount version, the AT-E30, which appears to have been Japan-only:

specsCapture-E.jpg

The replacement stylus for these are priced ridiculously. Anyone know a source for generic replacements?

They show up on eBay regularly and usually sell for peanuts. This whole series seems to be very under the radar on the auction site.

The only one I see show up regularly is the conical. I've seen generic ellipticals show up twice in the past year, and lost the auction by 50 cents both times.

I'm going to place an order for the EVG 4215-DE mentioned though, and report back on it.

Those are pretty rare and pretty good. What you really want is the Aviform Edition, the AT-E32P.

CjISq7kUoAgkEmg.jpg

I can't find any info about this strange bird anywhere

:idea:

Anything that looks like that should be able to sing.

The only one I see show up regularly is the conical. I've seen generic ellipticals show up twice in the past year, and lost the auction by 50 cents both times.

I'm going to place an order for the EVG 4215-DE mentioned though, and report back on it.

I've purchased the 216 stylus from LP Gear.

I can't find any info about this strange bird anywhere

Anything that looks like that should be able to sing.

Electrically it's the same as your AT216EP. It has an elliptical stylus, maybe the same as yours.

John

I think I know the one you're talking about. But I'd rather pickup 4x AT92E for the price of that one.

Yes you could. It's been a few years since I ran a AT 92ECD, but I don't remember being blown away by the detail and soundstage. I'd rather pay for the biradial and extract as much out of the groove as possible.
Maybe I need to try an AT 92ECD again

So the 211 will work interchangeably with the 216? I've been looking for an inexpensive stylus for a thrift store table with that cart.

So the 211 will work interchangeably with the 216? I've been looking for an inexpensive stylus for a thrift store table with that cart.

Yes Mark, unfortunately I can't find a 211 available anywhere. According to John "boreas" the ATN-201P will work as well. That's what I ordered from pickupnaalden. It will probably be a week or 2 before it gets here. I'll let you know how it sounds, unlike the 216Pit is a conical (spherical)

Back
Top Bottom