2235B Pop on switch off

check h812 then if ok replace caps in relay circuit .
at a guess the relay isnt releasing fast enough

Thanks, H812 tested fine. The PS board has been recapped also. It would seem so, not sure if I should shell out on a new relay or not...
It's probably a long shot that this is the problem anyway. But it is shown on the schematic as G001 across the power switch, S001 (although it could still be mounted in the back.). I wonder if it is missing? :dunno:
Yeah, I agree. Just going through process of elimination at the moment! :smoke:

I can see it on the schematic also... I think it could be hidden above the switch as I can't see anything from below. Looks like the face plate will be coming off :idea:

If the relay is opening and closing properly I would just inspect the contacts and clean/polish as necessary. They are generally referred to a maintenance parts but for the sake of troubleshooting I would just pop the cover off and inspect.

A bit more testing today folks!

As for the relay, I have taken it apart and cleaned/burnished the contacts- no change.
I have searched everywhere for a suppressor cap on the power switch and near the AC inlet and obvious areas- there appears to be none.:dunno:

Lastly, I tried switching the unit off at the wall (with power switch on) and the pop is not present... :idea:

Any thoughts?

Follow the wire coming into the unit, through the unswitched outlet and to the power switch and from the switch to the transformer primary. It should be evident if there is one installed and it will be before the fuse.

If not one present, install one. There should also be evidence of someone in there previously if it had been removed.

Make sure you use a proper safety cap rated for mains voltage such as the link below and any 1/4 watt 100-120ohm resistor soldered to either leg in series configuration.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF%2bfZ13WJ/r1/T8VQe%2buyZl8=

Follow the wire coming into the unit, through the unswitched outlet and to the power switch and from the switch to the transformer primary. It should be evident if there is one installed and it will be before the fuse.

If not one present, install one. There should also be evidence of someone in there previously if it had been removed.

Make sure you use a proper safety cap rated for mains voltage such as the link below and any 1/4 watt 100-120ohm resistor soldered to either leg in series configuration.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/ECQ-U3A104MG/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv1cc3ydrPrF%2bfZ13WJ/r1/T8VQe%2buyZl8=
Thanks, I feel like I have been over every inch of it trying to find one :rflmao:

I think installing one is looking like the best option, although I'm not sure which of the four terminals on the switch I would be bridging :idea: Where would the resistor go? (Please excuse my ignorance- I can recap, test components and replace as necessary, but adding something I find tricky)

no telling really . if there isnt one add one ..if there is one replace it . or better still modify it with a triac .

I just put one together to give you an idea. Definitely shrink wrap any exposed component leads.

You have your power line on one side of the switch. Just connect each lead to each of the two posts on the other side of the switch.

20170317_192532.jpg

Edit: I would also replace the swith while you're in there. Especially after all that arcing.

Last edited:
I just put one together to give you an idea. Definitely shrink wrap any exposed component leads.

You have your power line on one side of the switch. Just connect each lead to each of the two posts on the other side of the switch.

View attachment 890319
Wow, thanks that's a big help!

The switch appears to have 4 contacts on it- would than mean 2x caps and resistor? Is there a way to tell which side is the power side?

Of course, glad to help.

Took another pic. Say the lead clips is your hot line coming in and out of the switch. You'll want to go across that line on the opposite pins as shown below.

20170317_194253.jpg

Just one cap, one resistor. It won't matter if there are wires there, they just go to the switched outlet on the back panel. AS long as it goes across the main line is fine.

Last edited:
Of course, glad to help.

Took another pic. Say the lead clips is your hot line coming in and out of the switch. You'll want to go across that line on the opposite pins as shown below.

View attachment 890327
Ah, I see now! I did a quick search of pics of the switch but most were fairly useless :crazy: Only a few included a cap.

Damn I wish I had the parts in stock so I can get cracking. Oh well, to my supply store soon! Typical the switch is a bit of a b*****d to get to :rflmao:

I really appreciate your help!

If you were in the US, id post them but to Scotland would take a few weeks probably.

Cool side note, my small local airport just added Norwegian one way flights to Scotland for 69 bucks!

Last edited:
If you were in the US, if post them but to Scotland would take a few weeks probably.

Cool side note, my small local airport just added Norwegian one way flights to Scotland for 69 bucks!
Yes, I've heard Norwegian have started flights from Edinburgh recently- any time I've travelled to NY it's been with Continental, then United from Glasgow. At 69 bucks I must give this a try!

Yes, I've heard Norwegian have started flights from Edinburgh recently- any time I've travelled to NY it's been with Continental, then United from Glasgow. At 69 bucks I must give this a try!
I think it may be a little more expensive coming this way as fuel is higher over there but still cheap!

I forgot to mention, if you install a new switch and it's not jumped across already, you'll want to add jumped wires across it like this.

1489796007479658206588.jpg

If it has a switched outlet, it will already be jumped.

No worries. Take a pic and post it up when your almost done and we can verify it's correct.

If it has a switched outlet, it will already be jumped.

No worries. Take a pic and post it up when your almost done and we can verify it's correct.

Mine is the UK model so there are no AC outlets- it has a multi voltage adaptor though?

marantz2235bs-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom