Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

Audiokingman

OK, this post is simply things that get said a lot of times in the audio community that just get on your nerves, are overuses, or just plain wrong.

Here are a few examples:

--the overuse of the word "Vintage"
--describing a speakers woofer(s) as "subs"
--saying that older gear has "normal wear and tear". Why not just say it is beat-up??
--saying that older gear has scratches and imperfections "due to age".
--stating the power output of an amplifier or receiver based on the wattage printed on the back panel
--saying that a speaker needs "reconed" when it just needs new surrounds.

These are just a few. I can add more but that is a start.

This is meant to be a fun post, so do not be offended if you are guilty of anything.

Pick up any audiophile magazine and choose from hundreds of rhetorical masturbations:

Every speaker costing 10k has a Palpable midrange

5" full range, high efficiency speakers that have thunderous deep bass.

Anaconda sized cables that provide a flow of liquidity to the music....etc.

Last edited:
Where the hell would I even begin...........

RARE!!!! Yep,most of these turds ended up in a landfill decades ago,and rightfully so. That or your grandparents just died.
MINTY!!!! Is this even a valid word when used in the context of condition? In any event,I really don't give a shit,because it's use will still piss me off regardless.
NEW TUBES!!!! Only used for a couple of hundred hours to test/try them!!!! No explanation required here.
THE EXCESSIVE USE OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!! First,I am not deaf,nor am I ''hard of reading''.Second,I take exception to people yelling at me for no good reason.

I'm not sure if my feelings are related to high blood pressure,high blood sugar or just my Kraut ancestry,but the urge to kick the shit out of this type of advertiser is quite overwhelming.In the interests of decorum, I'll skip the exclamation points:cool:

I don't know where you found this little guy,but he perfectly describes most adverts. By the way,you also owe me a screen cleaning and a fresh coffee:rflmao:

My pet peeve is probably not confined to audio ads.

"Serious enquiries only"

What do I have to do to prove that my cash is as serious as that of the next guy? When I'm looking to buy your massive, huge, gigantic, colossal collection of 150 CDs, to go with the 1500 I already bought, is my "enquiry" not "serious" enough?

Was benched at (for example, 95 watts for a 75 wpc unit.)

Almost every unit 'benches' at more than the spec cause a bench test ain't the federally mandated power test to give a comparable number. And then the 'it punches above it weight,' as do all other units in the same power class.

"I have no way to test it." - Yeah, right.
"untested" - whyTF not?
"Unit lights up" or "Unit powers on" - ...aaaaand......what?
"as is" - this is traditional, but now means "as not described"
"crispy"
"crunchy"
the omnipresent "warm" - sigh...
"audiophile" when used as an adjective, especially when applied to "mid-fi"
"mid-fi" - hey, I just used it, didn't I? :(

Punches above it's class< what the hell does that mean? If your starting with a walkman it might not be so good.

Diminishing Returns< Over what, to who?

Giant Killer< Ok, nothing more to say here, must be Godzilla

The worst is

Bang for the Buck<Can I please get a reference point here

Snake oil< something someone hasn't tried or could even afford

I'v been seeing this one more and more with people selling record what the hell is....

Player Grade< WTF, I could only come up with a beater copy they don't even want or say G-. We buy records trying to find the best damn copy we can till we finally get to a sealed one to play.

Last edited:
No, no, don't speak. Don't speak. Please don't speak. Please don't speak. No. No. No. Go.

Bullets Over Broadway (1994)

Back
Top Bottom