Sometimes the Internet is just creepy

1tumbleweed

Kozmik Kowboy
And sometimes it's just weird.

So a short time ago, I posted in a thread about turntables, and mentioned that "low bearing friction" was a good thing to have in an arm. Next thing I know, the banner ad at the top of the page is hyping me on a "slewing bearing manufacturer". Hmmmm...

I never heard of such a thing as a "slewing bearing", it sounded to me like a bearing that suddenly went off track to look at a squirrel. Turns out there actually is such a thing - you can look it up - but I have otherwise no interest in one. Strange,

Maybe it's the Russians?:dunno:

Cheers,
Larry B.

Thank Google for that bit of creepiness that's been added to the internet recently. They watch your searches like a hawk and then customize the ad banners on every website you visit to match your searching habits, its part of Google's Ad/Surveilance Network that is actually in cohoots with the NSA, go figure.

So a short time ago, I posted in a thread about turntables, and mentioned that "low bearing friction" was a good thing to have in an arm. Next thing I know, the banner ad at the top of the page is hyping me on a "slewing bearing manufacturer". Hmmmm...

Right now I'm seeing audio adds, earlier I went into the camera forum on this site, I started getting Canon camera adds. They are following us around like little trolls.

Several years ago I would have poo-pooed the Russian thing but these days I'm not so sure.
Lately I feel like I need to "duck and cover."

Actually, if and when you click through, the cameras and microphones turn on and record you.

please wear your best underware (you know, the stuff underneath the hardware and software)

and my alien friends tell me it's not the Russians.

It's a new world order and kids these days don't have a clue how much they're being watched. I can't even shop online without getting ads targeted towards me. Imagine the data collected I don't know about.:yikes:

Well, I have seen a few banners about marrying a Russian bride, so maybe it is a plot. Russia has their women marry all of us and then take over our finances, run our credit cards up and make us do all the chores. Now I really am creeped out. :yikes:
And without a shot ever being fired.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. This is all spelled out clearly in the terms and conditions of the End User Licensing Agreements.

You all read those before you clicked "Agree" right? :D

Yeah, me neither.

Thank Google for that bit of creepiness that's been added to the internet recently. They watch your searches like a hawk and then customize the ad banners on every website you visit to match your searching habits, its part of Google's Ad/Surveilance Network that is actually in cohoots with the NSA, go figure.

Cookies. They've been around a long time.

Last edited:
It's getting really creepy. I had a conversation with my daughter in the supermarket about tilapia, next thing I know I'm getting suggested links on FB about the health benefits of tilapia. I never even searched for tilapia. I am quite sure that my phone's microphone had something to do with it. My wife thought I was crazy then she heard a podcast talking about corporations using phone microphones and cameras to gather information about us. The person in the podcast said you'd be crazy not to suspect that it's going on.

It's getting really creepy. I had a conversation with my daughter in the supermarket about tilapia, next thing I know I'm getting suggested links on FB about the health benefits of tilapia. I never even searched for tilapia. I am quite sure that my phone's microphone had something to do with it. My wife thought I was crazy then she heard a podcast talking about corporations using phone microphones and cameras to gather information about us. The person in the podcast said you'd be crazy not to suspect that it's going on.
Or the store where you bought Tilapia (Somewhere in the past or someone you know on FB) shared the fact that you purchased it with someone as part of some loyalty campaign.

Frannie

I'v been learning not to bite on click bate news articles, most are fake. If members post links to store sites I avoid them.

All my TVs and computers have tape over the cameras.

I don't post photos of myself online unless it's a baby shot.

It might be interesting for some of you to google your name and see what pops up under ALL, then click on images and take a look.

It might be interesting for some of you to google your name and see what pops up under ALL, then click on images and take a look.

I have. There are more "me" out there than I expected. However, none that show up are the real me. ;)

Last edited:

Take a look at all the permissions that Facebook and Facebook messenger want on install and it will not be a surprise that this stuff happens. That is probably why messenger slows down my phone.

Or the store where you bought Tilapia (Somewhere in the past or someone you know on FB) shared the fact that you purchased it with someone as part of some loyalty campaign.

Frannie

I can see that too, but I've never purchased tilapia, ever. That is the creepy part.

Take a look at all the permissions that Facebook and Facebook messenger want on install and it will not be a surprise that this stuff happens. That is probably why messenger slows down my phone.

Yeah, I tried the messenger app and it made my phone unusable. I ended up uninstalling it after a day.

Back
Top Bottom