SA 8500 II ( didn't arrive yet)
CT F1250
RG 2
SR 303
Still to get:
RT 909
TX 7800
SG 9800

My question is, what kind of speakers should I get. I mean what wattage?
Let say the amp is 180W. Does it mean each channel is 180W or each channel is 90W. And the number 180 is power of 2 channels combined?
I have a chance to buy 2 Marantz sp 104 floor speakers. I believe they are rated at 130W. I know they aren't really good but will they work with my amp? I'm planning to get good speakers later on and I need something for now.
Thx

You have some nice equipment there. The Pioneer SA-8500ii is rated at 60 WRMS per channel into 8 ohms full range. You could run many different types of speakers with this amp except for super low efficiency speakers at higher volumes.
Most older speakers will quote a maximum wattage and a nominal wattage, the latter being the real input rating. Later speakers will often quote an amplifier wattage input range, (ie 25-120 W). This is the range they will happily work within but obviously will sound better and prevent amplifier clipping at higher volumes with a larger amplifier.

Don't be too particular in regards to speaker matching, my smallest pair of speakers are only rated at 22W nominal input and they sound good with a 20WRMS amp but sound terrific with a 70-80WRMS amplifier.

If you like to play your music loud prob just choose an 8 ohm speaker (which is a kinder load on your amp) and make sure the efficiency is about 87-88dB or above. You can also run 4 ohm speakers as l do but just don't push your amp really hard.

I don't know the specs on those Marantz speakers but l am sure they would be ok. with your Pioneer.

Thx for your reply Oldsansui. I appreciate it. I actually ended up getting different speakers. Can you or anybody else tell me more about them?

Attachments

• IMG_20170319_9700.jpg
    IMG_20170319_9700.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20170319_58551.jpg
    IMG_20170319_58551.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi, l don't know anything about them sorry but l did pick up a pair of speakers last night that look very much like yours albeit a different brand (lee audio).

Yours should be fine with your amp, l would guess they are from the 80's and a lot of these speakers were fairly efficient, usually 92bB plus.

Let us know how they sound when you get your SA-8500ii.

Thx for your reply Oldsansui. I appreciate it. I actually ended up getting different speakers. Can you or anybody else tell me more about them?

MCS was a JC Penny house brand. Many of their products were produced by Technics. I would guess your speakers were made either by Technics, or Jensen. How do they sound to you? Let that determine whether you want to upgrade...

They look really nice. Cosmetically perfect. 100 W, frequency response 40Hz-20,000Hz.
I just removed one speaker oUT of the box and there's a date stamped on it. 1995.
I didn't have chance to hook em up. My amplifier didn'tarrive yet. Hopefully couple more days... Cant wait :)

I had a pair of the MCS's decades ago. Ran them with everything from a Sx-434 all the way up to a 100w per channel SX 456 (HT unit from 1995). They were the honeycomb types. Didn't care for them that much as the bass was weak with any amp. Got a pair of SP-2500 Sansui's(96db/1W/1m) which solved the problem

Too easy, l was just curious if they were similar to the ones l just got. Yes yours look like they are in very good condition, hope your Pioneer arrives for you soon.

How do you mean connect? The SA-8500ii has pre in main out jumpers that you can utilise but does your SA-610 have these?

Are you wanting to use the pre amp of one with the power amp section of the other?

No. SA 610 doesn't have these. I just wanted to combine the power plus I like the way the SA 610 looks like

So I guess it's a no for those two.
Now, one more question. Harder question.
I got
SA 8500 ii
CT F1250
RG 2
SR 303
SG 9800
How do I hook them up ? There's so many in/out/tape etc ports. It's really confusing

You have some nice equipment. Speakers make a huge difference in the quality of the sound you hear. If you can get some vintage speakers such as JBL L100 or Pioneer HPM 100 you will hear excellent sound, deep powerful bass and clean mids and highs. Most speakers will sound good until you hear great speakers such as the two I suggested.

You have some nice equipment. Speakers make a huge difference in the quality of the sound you hear. If you can get some vintage speakers such as JBL L100 or Pioneer HPM 100 you will hear excellent sound, deep powerful bass and clean mids and highs. Most speakers will sound good until you hear great speakers such as the two I suggested.

Thank you and thanks for your input. I already know that I should got vintage speakers. For now I got MCS speakers and I hope that they will sound good. But I'll keep in mind your suggestion.

So I guess it's a no for those two

Ahh yes sorry l didn't specify, that would be a no. I agree with jeffpaletz about better speakers but l think you said you were going to update down the track. I personally like B&W's and Beovox's but there are loads of great speakers out there.

Here are some links to your other questions.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sg-9800-and-sa-9500-ii.715847/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....h-connecting-pioneer-rg-2-and-sg-9800.462068/

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/connect-sg-9500-eq-rg-2-dp-sa-8500ii-amp.430851/

Back
Top Bottom