Selling Quandary, what would you do

Descartridge

Stereos been berry, berry good to me!
Exactly 3 years ago, I sold a power amp to an AKer through Barter Town.
The AKer actually paid for the amp. Thereafter, the buyer stated he would send me a prepaid UPS label for the shipping. Here is that private message (edited to avoid embarrassment).
3/20/14
"You should probably ship it to my work address. The zip code here is xxxxx.
Let me know the weight and size. I may able to ship it much more cheaply by sending you a UPS shipping label using my company's UPS account."
I provided:
"gross weight 31#
lwh 24x20x10"

I have tried at least 10 attempts using Conversations/PMs, email and postings to close the deal (receiving his label and my shipping). He does not follow up. And this AKer is occasionally active in the forums.
Either the AKer is balking over an approximate $40 shipping charge, or there is some personal problem.

Recently, I communicated: if I do not receive any communication from you after 7 days, I will donate the amp to charity.
What more can I do and What would you do?

Really weird. 3 year brain fart? Give a strict timeline for his label and or paid shipping. If not met by the day, donate in his name to a charity and give any paperwork to him for a tax write off. Good luck, and I hope no ill will comes from it.

I think you should refund some percentage of the money. AFAIK, the person does have a claim to the amp regardless of what you tell him you're going to do. Really weird though. I have to assume some personal problem, perhaps his wife threatened to kill him if he brought home yet another amp?

I think you should refund some percentage of the money. AFAIK, the person does have a claim to the amp regardless of what you tell him you're going to do. Really weird though. I have to assume some personal problem, perhaps his wife threatened to kill him if he brought home yet another amp?
After 3 years they have no claim to it. In fact, I would say that the seller could charge an additional storage fee...

If the amp is still worth the original sales price, or something close to it, if you can sell it you should refund the sales price, less a percentage (like a re-stocking fee) back to him. It isn't fair that he hang you up this long, but I think your Karma would be well protected.

Or see if you can track down his phone number, perhaps another AKer local to him or one who has dealt with him previously.
Has he posted recently - if so maybe post there for him to contact you?
I feel your pain - we all dislike it when things can't be resolved in a timely manner.

If the amp is still worth the original sales price, or something close to it, if you can sell it you should refund the sales price, less a percentage (like a re-stocking fee) back to him. It isn't fair that he hang you up this long, but I think your Karma would be well protected.
This is what I would do.

Doesn't seem right not to send the money back, perhaps slightly reduced as compensation for your inconvenience.

I had a guy buy some antique radios at my garage sale, paid me and was going to come back the next week to get them. After a couple attempts to get him to come, I finally went by his second hand store and paid it back to his associate. That way I was done with those guys and free to do what I wanted. Sold em too cheap anyway. :p

If the guy paid for it just stick it in a closet and forget about it until he contacts you. How are you really inconvenienced if you are paid? Give it a while yet.

Back during Desert Storm, people got crazy about putting up flag poles around here. I had a stack of used 35' light poles that came from a highway widening project, and they started selling like hotcakes. I sold one to a farmer that lived about 20 miles from here. He paid for it, then said he'd have one of his trucks pick it up next week. Weeks turned into months, then years. About 5 years after that, I ran into him at an auction, and asked when he was going to pick it up. He laughed and said he figured I'd probably sold it to someone else, and promised to come and get it. About a year later I read his obituary in the paper.

I still have his light pole. We're selling the place and moving, so I guess it's time to let it go.

Sorry after 3 years and more then 10 attempts the buyer has donated the amp,to the seller.
If it was me i would do with it as i please,and if i sold it would keep the cash,you have been patient with them way to long already.

Send him an abandoned property first, second, and final warning. If no reply after final warning, inform him the amp is considered abandoned property and is forfeited. That's all you can do.

I had something similar happen,a out of state buyer purchased a speaker from me and paid by paypal,said he comes to the area on business.
I contacted him several times about picking it up,about every other time he responded with another excuse.

He NEVER contacted me about it,i'm the one that always had to email him.
The last email i sent said let me know when you are able to pick it up,i didn't hear from him for several months,so i sold it.

That was about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago,haven't heard a word from him since.

Back
Top Bottom