My girlfriends unusual home speaker shoot- out choices????FUNNY??

7whales7

Addicted Member
O.k.i have been trying to change the speakers in my main level room,(we have a quad level house),it's a big vaulted ceiling room at ground level. My girlfriends the one who use's this room the most. My gear gets basement duty because its big confusing and from the 70's,i've been told,LOL! And a listening room / spare bedroom upstairs, where no one will see it?
In this area for an amp we have a Technics SA - GX650 @ i think its a 100-110 wpc new class A receiver / and a Technics EQ SH 8046, because she likes the lights of the spectrum analyzer, Sony cd changer. All items must have remote to, i've been informed. For speakers she loves these Polk Monitor 50's,they look, and sound good,( to her) . theres a s 10" powered sub behind the cabinet to. I've been trying to change the speakers for years to show her the difference in sound. She has a music background, got a college scholarship and degree in music / theater , she could probably sing for a living, but doesn't, that's another story. So i think she could appreciate good speakers right? She listens to Folk / country / alt / Female singer stuff, some Alt rock. So i Bring out a set of Polk monitor 7b's, put them on nice stands , fire them up. To me they sound and look good, good balance no harsh tweeter, pleasant, to her " she can't here the singing as well"? The Polk 50's are towers, shrill tweeter and very forward ? I guess? 7b's shot down. Next up Cerwin Vega E-712'S That have been collecting dust behind my furnace in the basement. " The Vega's are fun " she says," i can here the music in the other room, and the color, i.e., black looks good", me AGGHHHH.... Alright i break out my pride and joy A/D/S L810's from my basement system. Put them on there tilted stands, to me they sound great... as expected, to her ,"well they sound o.k., i can here more definition, but they look like old people's speakers" RGGHH"... shot down. Next up, Polk SDA 1'S I've been working on. They need risers rebuilt. every thing else has been done internally , got the inter-connect cable out hooked them up. Big room, got some space between them, to me sound pretty good, The SDA effect really sounded nice, Pink Floyd album ,Wish You Where Here, F***KING AMAZING on these speakers. Her response" they are o.k. but they are big and the wood (walnut) doesn't match anything". I told her if you like them i can change the color darker, i have to refinish them any way. "CAN YOU PUT THE POLK 50'S BACK" she says . SDA'S still in place, for now..... trying to keep them in place! Just a Funny story,hope you can appreciate my dilemma!

These are the same creatures that will wear painful, ill fitting shoes for hours, because they look good with the purse they inevitably leave in the car...

love my woman, it's the same thing. Upstairs has been downgraded to a teeny kenwood receiver and AR18b pair, all because it appeals to her, visually. Started off with some dq-10s and my nikko stack. This is a 20x20 room we're talking here, you'd think she'd appreciate a nice set of floor standing 3-ways but nooooo, just 2-way bookshelf speakers.
Drives me insane.

But she learned my preferred startup/shurdown order on the big setup very quickly, so i've got that going for me.:thumbsup:

I can relate. Been through this with 20+ speakers in the front room, where looks are far more important than sound. One day we saw some so-so looking Heathkit AS-15s at a thrift store. I look into the back and there is some trashed Lafayettes in there, tag says $100. Naw thanks. We walk away and my wife says, "those would look good in the front room". I stop dead in my tracks, turn around and buy them. I refinished them and Econo-waved them with JBL woof and horn (d220ti) . They rival my Vott 2-ways and now we are both happy. Maybe you find a cabinet she likes and then do your own thing...

I can relate. Been through this with 20+ speakers in the front room, where looks are far more important than sound. One day we saw some so-so looking Heathkit AS-15s at a thrift store. I look into the back and there is some trashed Lafayettes in there, tag says $100. Naw thanks. We walk away and my wife says, "those would look good in the front room". I stop dead in my tracks, turn around and buy them. I refinished them and Econo-waved them with JBL woof and horn (d220ti) . They rival my Vott 2-ways and now we are both happy. Maybe you find a cabinet she likes and then do your own thing...
That's brilliant. How about a Hemi in the prius to boot.

LOL. I have to pull my little Wharfedales out from the walls a bit when I listen so as to keep her happy. I need to put the stands on rollers. :D

Regardless of what I'm working on audio related mine simply says (Your working on speakers) haha. I can say I've offered her some Bose 301 III, Snell E III's, Heresey's 1's, Martin Logan LX-16's with a sub for her house. She likes the Large Advents on stands I gave her over any of it. I enjoyed setting her up with some sound and she thinks its really sweet but it's there so I'll have something I enjoy listening to when I'm in town.

Just wait until you are married. I'm relegated to a H/K bluetooth speaker on the main level. LOL

Buuuuut I'm doing whatever I want in the basement. Cornwalls are moving in!! :rockon:

What my girlfriend and I do is this. The living room is a shared space and while she benefits from the stereo out there she also has to be able to tolerate its appearance. Some maple stands from Sanus and a birch pattern IKEA expedite that matches her birch Kallax shelves has really gone a long way in lightening things up. The receiver is hers, she plays records more than I do nowadays, and the Pioneer BS22s have more then enough thump for her. It's not my main system but rather it's an excellent compromise between the both of us. Eventually I'm sure I'll have the latitude to upgrade to much higher performing bookshelf speaker speakers.

However the entire office and especially my desk is allowed to be one whole wild-****ing-west of my own creation and imagination.

My wife usually only asks me to show her how to power up the system when its something new to her, other than that we really don't discuss the system(s).

But then I don't drag home 6' tall speakers either.

Eric

Usually if I feel like swapping out speakers in the living room system I wait until she goes to bed. Then I don't say any thing about it the next day. She usually doesn't catch on to the swap for a few days. This method has worked well for me and I highly recommend it. :) Of course if your swapping out for DQ 10's etc all bets are off.

My wife appreciates the sonics of speakers - she paid for the Von Schweikert VR-4s we demoed at jjohnson's place a few years back
as an early Christmas gift (she likes me to be happy, and me her) ... We both prefer real wood grain to black painted wood -
(she knows I'll strip the paint off the VR-4s at some point like I did with the DCM TF-600s downstairs and approves).

We are still working out the issue of the Magnepan MG-IIcs vs the JBL L212 - I want to keep the JBLs -
she really likes the magnepan music style ("its like swimming in the music").
She does like the UREIs in the TV room - loves the way movies & TV sound, even if they are kind of ugly (tho I keep the grills on them).
I suspect her ears are better than mine - too many loud concerts and smoky nightclubs in my youth ...

SAF - Spouse Acceptance Factor is STRONG with this one!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom