A little fun with these 2 vintage speakers

xXSHADoW93Xx

Figuring these 2 speakers were missing its matching pair, I wanted to retrofit them with a Bluetooth speaker amp, so that they can breathe new life as Bluetooth wireless speakers rather than sitting in the closet, collecting dust.

As pictured, Panasonic SGK-252 on the left that was collecting dust in my closet, and The Fisher XP-55B that I bought with the intent to convert to a usable Bluetooth speaker.

kGqJNHd.jpg

GX2APpP.jpg

The Panasonic was essentially the prototype for the retrofitting:

6trFurr.jpg

Retrofitting the Fisher was much more straightforward, as I could simply attach the speaker wires to the terminals, and have the amplifier itself cover the speaker terminals:

53uteeS.jpg

I used 2 Vivitar V1322BT Bluetooth speakers I picked up dirt cheap, solely for the amplifier itself (as it also has an aux-in). Does a pretty damn good job. Some test videos below:

I used 2 Vivitar V1322BT Bluetooth speakers I picked up dirt cheap, solely for the amplifier itself (as it also has an aux-in). Does a pretty damn good job.
That's neat. Great idea for probably any orphan speaker. I have a single KLH Seventeen sitting around Collecting dust, as you say. Might be a fun project; is it simply a matter of removing the BT speaker and connecting to terminals?

Here's a better video:

That's neat. Great idea for probably any orphan speaker. I have a single KLH Seventeen sitting around Collecting dust, as you say. Might be a fun project; is it simply a matter of removing the BT speaker and connecting to terminals?

Yup. For most speakers, it's a straightforward conversion. This particular model, the Vivitar i picked up, can be obtained for $7.99 at National Wholesale Liquidators. Works best with speakers less than 25W RMS. Results will vary depending on which portable Bluetooth speaker amplifier you use, and the speaker you retrofit it to.

Last edited:
Good idea. There is a guy here in my area that adds bluetootch connectivity to old consoles and similar radios. Good selling point to folks unlike us that want a little cool retro vibe but with what they are used to in terms of connecting to their ipods and phone etc.
Frankly it is kinda surprising there are not threads on AK about adding this to gear.

We had a big thread a couple of years ago about using Chromecasts and Wifi, splitting the audio stream out of the hdmi connection, to stream to vintage gear. A couple of years later, the Chromecast Audio came out. I like the strengths and fidelity of Wifi over Bluetooth. However, I hope that Google will release a Chromecast Audiophile, with a really good DAC and power supply. I stream to my vintage rigs all the time, and have considered a small amp/Chromecast Audio/solo speaker mono setup for a portable before. Just haven't done it yet. I really like your rig!

We had a big thread a couple of years ago about using Chromecasts and Wifi, splitting the audio stream out of the hdmi connection, to stream to vintage gear. A couple of years later, the Chromecast Audio came out. I like the strengths and fidelity of Wifi over Bluetooth. However, I hope that Google will release a Chromecast Audiophile, with a really good DAC and power supply. I stream to my vintage rigs all the time, and have considered a small amp/Chromecast Audio/solo speaker mono setup for a portable before. Just haven't done it yet. I really like your rig!

tensleep, I saw no trace of this info in th manual, but there is actually a digital out on Chromecast. It uses a digital cable end that resembles a 1/8", but i's a little longer and hollow. I picked up a cheap cable with USB on the opposite end, and plugged it into my Schitt Modi Uber.

Onebean

That's pretty smart - I've been looking at the Sure bluetooth amp cards at Parts Express, with plans to either build a speaker or put them inside of an existing one. Your method would make this significantly cheaper & easier... That Vivitar speaker's beeping sound would annoy me, though. I may need to find another brand...

Dan

tensleep, I saw no trace of this info in th manual, but there is actually a digital out on Chromecast. It uses a digital cable end that resembles a 1/8", but i's a little longer and hollow. I picked up a cheap cable with USB on the opposite end, and plugged it into my Schitt Modi Uber.

Onebean

I'll see if I can find the thread. The original Chromecast didn't have a digital out afik. The later models may. I don't have experience with them.

Edit: here it is

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/chromecast-stereo.595471/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom