Weekly Estate and Garage sale finds (pics)

MVC-002S.JPG
today scored a kenwood kr-790 "high-speed dc" "zero switching" 2-channel receiver for $5.
looks like it's from early 80s. it has settings for international (european) voltages and channel spacing plus is a rather uncommon model, so suspect its one manufactured for military exchange system. also has separate settings for bass, midrange and treble, with adjustable "turnover" for bass & treble, as well as an internal reverb unit. i've been playing with audio for 30 years and have never seen a receiver with this mix of features. a quick search of site archives turned up a couple other similarly perplexed owners. will connect a second set of speakers and "stress it" when i won't run the risk of waking up the neighbors.
edit: so today i've blasted everything from mozart to the cult to talk radio on 4 speakers. it's a heck of an amp. @130 wpc and superior grade components (info from another ak user) it even makes mediocre speakers sound better.

Last edited:
MVC-004S.JPG
not really stereo, but... liberated this homebuilt gamer computer from divorce sale a few miles from home. after replacing the cmos battery and resetting bios, found it has a nice 64-bit, dual-core processor and higher-end 3d video card. mobo has high performance cooling features and supports 4 disk RAID. not a bad score for $5.

Last edited:
Huge vinyl haul for me today I had at an estate sale. Best one I've had in a long time. $10 for the lot, and all are in excellent to near mint condition! I absolutely love the Ray Charles and the CCR, only ones I've gotten a chance to spin so far. Janis Joplin is Up Next. :banana:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Went to an "estate sale" on lunch today and snagged a few records. I put estate sale in quotations because it was a ~3000sqft storage packed to the brim with crap. Some Bultaco bikes, a few Puch mopeds, even a Porsche 912 sitting under the collapsed roof. Couldn't hardly walk through the place and had to sign a waiver before going in...

After looking for the Bultacos (sold) I wandered around trying to see through the pile and find the diamond. Saw 4 or 5 boxes of records about 15' in and 5' up. Tightened up the boots and dove in...

Lots of decent stuff in there but the vast majority was trashed. The biggest letdown was all the 60s James Brown albums in there that I wouldn't even consider giving a G grade. Did grab some out of an 80s box... Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Duran Duran, Stray Cats, the usual stuff.

I didn't get any photos but it'll be on again next week. Must have taken that guy 30 or more years to fill that up, craziness.

Had a good time though. The caveman in me has been satisfied for the time being...

Huge vinyl haul for me today I had at an estate sale. Best one I've had in a long time. $10 for the lot, and all are in excellent to near mint condition! I absolutely love the Ray Charles and the CCR, only ones I've gotten a chance to spin so far. Janis Joplin is Up Next. :banana:
Nice grab, that Marshall Tucker is a good one. ;)

i impulsively grabbed 2 big back breaking boxes of reel to reel tapes at a garage sale today. im guessing well over 100 titles of old classical. now i got to figure out how to get my ten bucks back out of the deal.

almost forgot. yesterday i also found a Nitty Gritty record cleaner machine model 2.5 for 20 bucks. It does need repair but it does seem that parts are still available.

Last edited:
MVC-013S.JPG MVC-012S.JPG
picked up this pair of not-marketed-in-u.s. mission m73i floor-standing speakers a couple weeks ago. dual binding posts - one for hi, one for lo - enable bi-amping. posts also include a "bridge" connection by which user can yoke posts for single amp. sound reminds me a lot of kg4s - crisp mid & high end but a bit light on bass. like kg4s, good candidates for separate sub. nice haul for $5.

Last edited:
Got to an estate sale LATE and everything was cleaned out except these two. With the Cars LP the gent walked up to me and asked if I wanted it. Felt sorry for me. Lol. The Simple minds was on the shelf. Love that band.

Attachments

• IMG_20170416_184900.jpg
    IMG_20170416_184900.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 75
I had a productive day today at a Estate Sale located about an hour away because they supposedly had records of unknown genre and some gear. Headed out in time to just make the opening but got behind some school buses and ended up 10 minutes late. When I arrived there were already two people going through the crates. One crate was open so I started through those found a few and as the others finished they pushed their crates over to me. The jackets were not in great shape most were VG-VG+, but the vinyl was pristine. I ended up with 30 records and 3 laserdiscs. They wanted $2 each but I negotiated $50 for the lot. Here's a sample:

4-21 records - 1 (1).jpg

4-21 records - 1.jpg

And the piece de resistance:

4-21 records - 1 (2).jpg

As I was checking out I noticed a pair of speakers behind the cashier with a $75 price on them. I took a look and recognized the name but couldn't remember much about them. The clues were there though; they were heavy, bi-wire capable, and were equipped with sound isolation spikes. I sprung for the $75 and bought the Mordaunt-Short 908s. When I got home and researched them I found their original MSRP was $1100 so I guess I did OK.

Attachments

• MSS - 1.jpg
    MSS - 1.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 105
  • MSS - 1 (1).jpg
    MSS - 1 (1).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 102
  • MSS - 1 (2).jpg
    MSS - 1 (2).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 106
  • MSS - 1 (3).jpg
    MSS - 1 (3).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Very nice snag on the 908s!

Quoted from this site - http://www.stereotimes.com/post/the-mordauntshort-908-loudspeaker

"Over the weeks that I auditioned the 908s, I played many other albums, both mainstream and esoteric, all with similar results. While I won't say they are the best speakers I have ever had the chance to listen too, they are easily the best ones I have heard at under two thousand dollars."

CD's $1 each at a garage sale this morning:

Led Zeppelin "Physical Graffiti"-Barry Diament mastering
Bob Marley & the Wailers "Survival"-Barry Diament mastering
Cheap Trick "One On One"
I had all of these, but couldn't leave them on the table at that price.

Hoodoo Gurus "Crank"
Pink Floyd "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn"-Doug Sax remaster
Ziggy Marley & the Melody Makers "Jahmekya"
The Kinks "Kinda Kinks"
George Clinton "Greatest Funkin' Hits"
0422170918-01_zpsaq58gas7.jpg~original

I had a productive day today at a Estate Sale located about an hour away because they supposedly had records of unknown genre and some gear. Headed out in time to just make the opening but got behind some school buses and ended up 10 minutes late. When I arrived there were already two people going through the crates. One crate was open so I started through those found a few and as the others finished they pushed their crates over to me. The jackets were not in great shape most were VG-VG+, but the vinyl was pristine. I ended up with 30 records and 3 laserdiscs. They wanted $2 each but I negotiated $50 for the lot. Here's a sample:

View attachment 913989

View attachment 913991

View attachment 913992

As I was checking out I noticed a pair of speakers behind the cashier with a $75 price on them. I took a look and recognized the name but couldn't remember much about them. The clues were there though; they were heavy, bi-wire capable, and were equipped with sound isolation feet. I sprung for the $75 and bought the Mordaunt-Short 908s. When I got home and researched them I found their original MSRP was $1100 so I guess I did OK.
So....how do they sound?

View attachment 913989

View attachment 913991

View attachment 913992

As I was checking out I noticed a pair of speakers behind the cashier with a $75 price on them. I took a look and recognized the name but couldn't remember much about them. The clues were there though; they were heavy, bi-wire capable, and were equipped with sound isolation feet. I sprung for the $75 and bought the Mordaunt-Short 908s. When I got home and researched them I found their original MSRP was $1100 so I guess I did OK.
Those are sweet lookin an sweet sounding speakers! Congrats on the score!!

Spring is here, taxes are paid and the fishing is good!
Went to an estate sale, picked up a Kenwood KR-6200 receiver and a mint pair of Wharfedale W60s for $20. Helped the seller bring an item down some steps, got an extra $5 knocked off. Sold the receiver for $40 before I left my parking space to the guy whose face dropped when he walked in and saw me disconnecting it. Later got a pair of unbranded 8" 3 ways with nice walnut boxes and cane grilles, and a Bose Cinemate 1-2-3 system. That, and a glitter-filled lavalamp to add to my collection.
20170422_115657.jpg

One more item, which could lead me to total world domination:

20170422_115744.jpg
The X-359 Rex-Ray Vaporizer!
20170422_115736.jpg
Unfortunately, the strongly-suggested instructions were not inside the box, so it may take some practice to get the hang of it.

Back
Top Bottom