McIntosh C48, Internal DAC, and External DSD Digital Source

sfseay

I have my C48 connected to a Sony HAP-Z1 and outputting DSD (DOP) over a USB connection. When I try to play a DSD 64 or 128 file the C48 goes silent. It works fine when I play wav and FLAC files.

I have had my Sony HAP connected to an Auralic Vega and had no problems with any DSD file. Of course I use the balanced outputs to the C48.

My question is McIntosh's website only discusses processing DSD files using a Mac/PC via Jriver, is this the only way I can use the internal DAC on the C48 for DSD files? Is anyone else streaming DSD files via USB to the C48 using a device other than a Mac or PC?

According to a support document on McIntosh's website regarding running a PC/Apple and using the JRiver applicationthe the C48 supports processing of DSD files. An excerpt is below:

"To add the capability of playing DSD-DXD file types over McIntosh 32/192 USB 2.0 DACs as used in C48, C50, C2500, D100, MHA100, MXA70, MA5200, MAC6700, MA6700, MA7900, MA8000.. "

The C48 is on firmware 2.10

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Last edited:
C48 has a PCM only USB DAC. Your music program will need to change any unsupported formats to one the DAC can decode. In the case of C48 this is up to 24/192 PCM.
Yes, JR is an example of one program that can do DSD to PCM conversion on the fly.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Latest version is 2.21, not aware that you are able to play DSD on the C48, would be surprised if you could as it only seems to be capable of 24/192.....

You can set JRiver to downsample anything above 192. I do this with a D100 and it works well for playing (downsampled) DSD files.

Actually, that would be sample rate conversion as a 24/192 file exceeds DSD64 in size.

Ron-C

Latest version is 2.21, not aware that you are able to play DSD on the C48, would be surprised if you could as it only seems to be capable of 24/192.....

You can't according to Ron's previous post.

Sure, you can play a DSD file in a media player but it has to be converted to PCM before hitting the C48.

You can't according to Ron's previous post.

Sure, you can play a DSD file in a media player but it has to be converted to PCM before hitting the C48.
I realise this, that is what I was pointing out, the C48 does not have enough DSP....... All you have to do is look at the spec's of the C48, a firmware update can't give it more DSP so I wonder how it is there is a rumor going around they can play these "bloated" DSD files....

I have J RIver and yes it can certainly convert the files if thats what people want to do....

Last edited:
Do you prefer the sound of the C48's built-in DAC over the HAP-Z1? It seems connecting the Sony to the C48 via its analog outs would be the best way to use it with the C47, and would definitely allow you to hear your native DSD music.

Back
Top Bottom