YAMAHA C4 phono capacitance

Edu1985

Hello everybody!i recently purchased a Yamaha c4 which I love for it s phono section but I have encountered a little problem:when switching the capacitance loading I can t hear any modification in the sound.the kohm loading works perfectly but in the capacitance i can t tell any difference at all .I m using it with a audio tehnica at 91e.it could be the cartridge to blaim?i had another c4 a few years ago and used it with nagaoka and shure cartridges and i renemeber that the capacitance was making differences in sound but with this yamaha...nothing in the capacitance department.so ..any ideas?I 've checked the board for bad solder and cleaned all switches with contact cleaner.could it be from somewhere else the problem in capacitance?

Thanks for the reply,Avionic.no,I did not disassembled the loading switch.it looks like a lot of work to do this.maybe i could do this without desoldering the switch from the board.hmmm

Those switches are notorious for being badly tarnished.

Look at post #143 in this thread.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....rted-sound-hiss-in-left-channel.735566/page-8
I have checked the switch without taking it down the board with the multimeter on beep function and it beeps on all the settings in both chanells.So the switch looks good.if the other switches were making same problems it could be the switch but all others work well so it could not be an isolated case.any ideas what to check next?

Yes ,to the electrolytics i was reffering.but for now it sounds pretty darn good for almost 40 years old!

Back
Top Bottom