Sony Pushes High-End Audio

Scifi

Its not just PONO. Sony is getting involved in high-resolution audio (better than CD quality). Article text is in attached pdf file.

SonyPic.jpg

Attachments

• SonyHighEnd.PDF
    171.1 KB · Views: 35
They've had those in the Magnolia HiFi section of Best Buy for quite awhile now. The ones I've listened to sounded pretty amazing but it probably didn't hurt that they were connected to some really expensive headphones.

Places that sell various levels of hi-res music downloads...

Sony has an entire section on their site for their 'hi-res' equipment:
http://www.sony.com/electronics/hd-audio/t/headphones

I haven't listened to much of it but their low end SS-CS5 speakers (regularly $219) often go on special for $109 and in the store they sound really good for that price.

The Sony HAP-Z1ES has revolutionized how music is enjoyed at home. Don't take my word for it though; simply walk around any audio expo and see how many non-Sony rooms are using one with thier systems. Also look at how many similar products are now on the market.

Possibly the single most innovative electronics company in the last 50 years. Sony. The one and only.
Fanboy. Sony didn't do anything valuable since they co-op the CD standard with Philips. They created later the SACD (again with Philips) just to add revenue to their music records branch by fixing of the perceived weakness of copying the CD's. Now they are pushing DSD downloads. Clogging the internet with the DSD's noiseshaping and calling it a "revolution".
Analog Devices, BurrBrown, TI, Wolfson, Akahashi Kansei did boatloads more for today's digital age.

Last edited:
The Sony HAP-Z1ES has revolutionized how music is enjoyed at home. Don't take my word for it though; simply walk around any audio expo and see how many non-Sony rooms are using one with thier systems. Also look at how many similar products are now on the market.

How, Exactly? There were far more capable streamers on the market long before the HAP, and even more today. It's extremely limited compared to many others.

I saw this more than any other storage+streaming device at the last two AXPONA shows. It was used in several headphone rooms as well as high end setups from dozens of manufacturers. They must know something.

It's the convenience of having to lug just one box with 1TB storage. You need that when you want to push buyers into ginormous DSD files.

[sarcasm]Great idea to use storage space for the DSD one level noiseshaping, instead of storing the 1/10th sized PCM and relying on the multilevel Delta-Sigma modulators inside the commercial DAC's![/sarcasm]

Last edited:
SN67, ad sarcasm: *lol* You gotta say yes to another excess? ;)

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I have had nothing to do with Sony since their illegal Sony BMG Rootkit hack they attempted back in 2005. The recording label Sony BMG included a rootkit in millions of CD's that installed it's self in the registry of computers using the Window Operating system. This rootkit was an under the table DRM measure to prevent copying of their CD's. That was bad enough but it also caused problems with the playback of these CD's, and in the day to day operation of the PC. The rootkit was quickly discovered and Sony got 10 trillion dollars worth of bad press out of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

Well, then buy Apple, use Linux or any MS product either. All have issues with this this (usually from nefarious sources).

As Prisoners said, the Sony unit was one of the best integrated one box units for streaming. Yes, there are others but none as slick or as fast as the Sony. Say what you will, Sony has really pushed the envelope but many of those products do not come to the US, Unfortunately.

Well, then buy Apple, use Linux or any MS product either. All have issues with this this (usually from nefarious sources).

The point was, it was an illegal under the table attempt to install a rootkit in the registry of computers running Windows. Why should somebody be forced to purchase a different OS to avoid this sort of thing. If you will recall at that time the RIAA had a scorched earth policy on piracy. Fortunately all a moot point now as the RIAA is hardly in any control anymore thanks to BS such as this.

As far as Sony audio equipment I will no longer own any of it for technical reasons. The build quality of their audio equipment back around 1990 was not that good. It might be OK now but I have moved on.

The point was, it was an illegal under the table attempt to install a rootkit in the registry of computers running Windows. Why should somebody be forced to purchase a different OS to avoid this sort of thing. If you will recall at that time the RIAA had a scorched earth policy on piracy. Fortunately all a moot point now as the RIAA is hardly in any control anymore thanks to BS such as this.

As far as Sony audio equipment I will no longer own any of it for technical reasons. The build quality of their audio equipment back around 1990 was not that good. It might be OK now but I have moved on.
I am not aware of the companies he mentioned doing anything like this. Lenovo had their "Superfish" scheme, but I am not aware of anyone else approaching this type aggressive behavior.

Back
Top Bottom